2nd harddisk for dv7-3020

Alan Whimp

2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
I bought an HP Pavilion DV7-3020sa a week ago which has 2 HDD areas but only
1 HDD fitted.
I have bought an identical HDD to the one already installed to fit into the
2nd drive slot but cannot find anywhere where I can buy the lead to connect
it to the mainboard.
Having now tried over 15 companies, including HP, I am becoming frustrated.
Does anyone know where the lead can be purchased?
It is a SATA socket on one end and a very very small plug on the other and
is only around one inch long. (Please note that it does not connect directly
to the mainboard in the usual clip-in method, it does have a small cable!)

PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Rick Rogers

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
Hi,

Your laptop has both eSata and USB connections, but no additional drive
slots, it only accepts external drives. Your choices are to either purchase
a USB-based hard drive enclosure or use an eSata drive w/cable such as the
ones here:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...429&name=eSATA.

The proper terms for your installed drive, to avoid confusion when you are
describing it to others, is that it is a single physical drive partitioned
into two volumes. This is common with most manufacturers, one is a recovery
volume for use only when you have a complete operating system failure.
Access to this should be described in your system documentation.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>I bought an HP Pavilion DV7-3020sa a week ago which has 2 HDD areas but
>only 1 HDD fitted.
> I have bought an identical HDD to the one already installed to fit into
> the 2nd drive slot but cannot find anywhere where I can buy the lead to
> connect it to the mainboard.
> Having now tried over 15 companies, including HP, I am becoming
> frustrated.
> Does anyone know where the lead can be purchased?
> It is a SATA socket on one end and a very very small plug on the other and
> is only around one inch long. (Please note that it does not connect
> directly to the mainboard in the usual clip-in method, it does have a
> small cable!)
>
> PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Alan Whimp

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
rick it as got another slot for another harddisk i just need the cable but i
dunno where i acn buy the cable from

> Hi,
>
> Your laptop has both eSata and USB connections, but no additional drive
> slots, it only accepts external drives. Your choices are to either
> purchase a USB-based hard drive enclosure or use an eSata drive w/cable
> such as the ones here:
> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...429&name=eSATA.
>
> The proper terms for your installed drive, to avoid confusion when you are
> describing it to others, is that it is a single physical drive partitioned
> into two volumes. This is common with most manufacturers, one is a
> recovery volume for use only when you have a complete operating system
> failure. Access to this should be described in your system documentation.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>>I bought an HP Pavilion DV7-3020sa a week ago which has 2 HDD areas but
>>only 1 HDD fitted.
>> I have bought an identical HDD to the one already installed to fit into
>> the 2nd drive slot but cannot find anywhere where I can buy the lead to
>> connect it to the mainboard.
>> Having now tried over 15 companies, including HP, I am becoming
>> frustrated.
>> Does anyone know where the lead can be purchased?
>> It is a SATA socket on one end and a very very small plug on the other
>> and is only around one inch long. (Please note that it does not connect
>> directly to the mainboard in the usual clip-in method, it does have a
>> small cable!)
>>
>> PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Rick Rogers

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
eSata cables:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...ds=esata+cable

Laptops don't generally have additional slots for hard drives, only
provisions for connecting external ones, are you certain you are looking at
the right thing?

--

> rick it as got another slot for another harddisk i just need the cable but
> i dunno where i acn buy the cable from

>> Hi,
>>
>> Your laptop has both eSata and USB connections, but no additional drive
>> slots, it only accepts external drives. Your choices are to either
>> purchase a USB-based hard drive enclosure or use an eSata drive w/cable
>> such as the ones here:
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...429&name=eSATA.
>>
>> The proper terms for your installed drive, to avoid confusion when you
>> are describing it to others, is that it is a single physical drive
>> partitioned into two volumes. This is common with most manufacturers, one
>> is a recovery volume for use only when you have a complete operating
>> system failure. Access to this should be described in your system
>> documentation.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I bought an HP Pavilion DV7-3020sa a week ago which has 2 HDD areas but
>>>only 1 HDD fitted.
>>> I have bought an identical HDD to the one already installed to fit into
>>> the 2nd drive slot but cannot find anywhere where I can buy the lead to
>>> connect it to the mainboard.
>>> Having now tried over 15 companies, including HP, I am becoming
>>> frustrated.
>>> Does anyone know where the lead can be purchased?
>>> It is a SATA socket on one end and a very very small plug on the other
>>> and is only around one inch long. (Please note that it does not connect
>>> directly to the mainboard in the usual clip-in method, it does have a
>>> small cable!)
>>>
>>> PLEASE HELP!!!!!

DL

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
That model does not have provision for a second internal drive
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=4034195
You are seeing two partitions on a single drive and not 2 drives

In order to connect a second drive you need a drive enclosure which uses
either usb or eSata to connect to your laptop external ports

Where a laptop has provision for a second internal drive there are no cables
/ connectors required the drive simply connects directly to the internal
connection all ready inplace

"Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
> rick it as got another slot for another harddisk i just need the cable but
> i dunno where i acn buy the cable from

>> Hi,
>>
>> Your laptop has both eSata and USB connections, but no additional drive
>> slots, it only accepts external drives. Your choices are to either
>> purchase a USB-based hard drive enclosure or use an eSata drive w/cable
>> such as the ones here:
>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...429&name=eSATA.
>>
>> The proper terms for your installed drive, to avoid confusion when you
>> are describing it to others, is that it is a single physical drive
>> partitioned into two volumes. This is common with most manufacturers, one
>> is a recovery volume for use only when you have a complete operating
>> system failure. Access to this should be described in your system
>> documentation.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>>>I bought an HP Pavilion DV7-3020sa a week ago which has 2 HDD areas but
>>>only 1 HDD fitted.
>>> I have bought an identical HDD to the one already installed to fit into
>>> the 2nd drive slot but cannot find anywhere where I can buy the lead to
>>> connect it to the mainboard.
>>> Having now tried over 15 companies, including HP, I am becoming
>>> frustrated.
>>> Does anyone know where the lead can be purchased?
>>> It is a SATA socket on one end and a very very small plug on the other
>>> and is only around one inch long. (Please note that it does not connect
>>> directly to the mainboard in the usual clip-in method, it does have a
>>> small cable!)
>>>
>>> PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Thomas Wendell

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
According to this manual, there IS a second HD bay
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859261.pdf

--
Thomas Wendell
Helsinki, Finland

"DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> kirjoitti
viestissä:OpxXKhtjKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> That model does not have provision for a second internal drive
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=4034195
> You are seeing two partitions on a single drive and not 2 drives
>
> In order to connect a second drive you need a drive enclosure which uses
> either usb or eSata to connect to your laptop external ports
>
> Where a laptop has provision for a second internal drive there are no
> cables / connectors required the drive simply connects directly to the
> internal connection all ready inplace
>
> "Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>> rick it as got another slot for another harddisk i just need the cable
>> but i dunno where i acn buy the cable from
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Your laptop has both eSata and USB connections, but no additional drive
>>> slots, it only accepts external drives. Your choices are to either
>>> purchase a USB-based hard drive enclosure or use an eSata drive w/cable
>>> such as the ones here:
>>> http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...429&name=eSATA.
>>>
>>> The proper terms for your installed drive, to avoid confusion when you
>>> are describing it to others, is that it is a single physical drive
>>> partitioned into two volumes. This is common with most manufacturers,
>>> one is a recovery volume for use only when you have a complete operating
>>> system failure. Access to this should be described in your system
>>> documentation.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

Dominic Payer

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
If so, the special cable would either be supplied with the machine or
available only from HP.

On 06/01/2010 17:29, Thomas Wendell wrote:
> According to this manual, there IS a second HD bay
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859261.pdf

DL

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
but not for the model stated

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> According to this manual, there IS a second HD bay
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859261.pdf
>

> --
> Thomas Wendell
> Helsinki, Finland
> Translations to/from FI not always accurate
>

> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> kirjoitti
> viestissä:OpxXKhtjKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> That model does not have provision for a second internal drive
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=4034195
>> You are seeing two partitions on a single drive and not 2 drives
>>
>> In order to connect a second drive you need a drive enclosure which uses
>> either usb or eSata to connect to your laptop external ports
>>
>> Where a laptop has provision for a second internal drive there are no
>> cables / connectors required the drive simply connects directly to the
>> internal connection all ready inplace
>>
>> "Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> rick it as got another slot for another harddisk i just need the cable
>>> but i dunno where i acn buy the cable from

DL

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
To clarify that link;
"
This user guide describes features that are

common to most models. Some features

may not be available on your computer."

"Thomas Wendell" <tumppiw_nospam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> According to this manual, there IS a second HD bay
> http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01859261.pdf
>

> --
> Thomas Wendell
> Helsinki, Finland
> Translations to/from FI not always accurate
>

> "DL" <notvalid@spoofaddress.co.uk> kirjoitti
> viestissä:OpxXKhtjKHA.2188@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
>> That model does not have provision for a second internal drive
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...roduct=4034195
>> You are seeing two partitions on a single drive and not 2 drives
>>
>> In order to connect a second drive you need a drive enclosure which uses
>> either usb or eSata to connect to your laptop external ports
>>
>> Where a laptop has provision for a second internal drive there are no
>> cables / connectors required the drive simply connects directly to the
>> internal connection all ready inplace
>>
>> "Alan Whimp" <alanlovesannaforeva@live.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> rick it as got another slot for another harddisk i just need the cable
>>> but i dunno where i acn buy the cable from

Curious

Re: 2nd harddisk for dv7-3020
The manual linked to only descibes how to replace a HDD in the second slot
it does not describe how to add a second drive if your computer model
configuration only came with one HDD.