iPod and HP All-in-One conflict(s)...

Howard Woodard

iPod and HP All-in-One conflict(s)...
I have a new build running 64 bit Vista Ultimate sp2. It has 2 SATA hard
drives (C: & X , 1 SATA CD-ROM drive (F and a USB-connected HP Officejet
6500 All-in-One printer. It runs [almost] everything perfectly.

The "almost" comes from the fact that it will connect and synch an iPod
Touch device with iTunes perfectly just so long as the HP Officejet 6500
All-in-One USB-connected printer is not installed or, at least, not
connected. Also, since the iPod has been installed there seems also to be a
conflict with the printer's scanner device. I suspect that the iPod is
using a drive letter that the printer is also attempting to use for the
scanner. When I connect the iPod it is detected, brings up iTunes and then
begins the synch process but never completes it because the drive [letter]
it thinks is the iPod is actually connecting it to the printer's drive. By
the way, the iPod Touch device does not assign a visible drive letter when
installed or connected.

I've used console manager to change the printer's disk drive letter
assignment -- it likes to use D: when installed -- but that doesn't change
the portable drive letter assignment that shows up in device manager until I
reboot and I think that the whole assignment conflict is getting shifted
together. After rebooting the new DLA takes effect in device manager but
the iPod, when connected, still has the conflict. If I turn the printer off
the iPod will successfully connect and synch.

It appears that even when I successfully change the drive letter for the
printer's storage device (integrated card reader) it is not being changed
for the scanner device in the printer. It will report scanner device not
detected errors and stop the imaging service.

Finally, it will not remember the desktop icon placements. Each time it is
booted it goes back to some placement [always the same] that it seems to
prefer over my last settings.

I've seen lots of issues with the iPod and drive letter conflicts discussed
on the web but the only "fix" that appears to sometimes work is to try to
avoid letting other devices use the "invisible" DLA (usually E of the iPod
device. I've changed the second drive's letter assignment to X: and when I
look at available drive letters D thru W are available.

If I had any hair left I would be pulling it out about now.

Thanks in advance for whatever help anyone can offer.

Howard Woodard
Redmond, WA