WD Passport USB device not recognized.

Intrepid5295

WD Passport USB device not recognized.
I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and have lost the last sheet.
I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of these steps have fixed my problem.

Curious

Re: WD Passport USB device not recognized.
Has WD support also not provided you any recent Vista driver updates or
other meaningful help?

"Intrepid5295" wrote in message
> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home
> Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts
> to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed
> to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and
> receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and
> the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any
> help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
> immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
> these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
> have lost the last sheet.
> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
> these steps have fixed my problem.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

Michael Walraven

Re: WD Passport USB device not recognized.
If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in NTFS
format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the drive so
it will work in both machines.

Michael

"Intrepid5295" wrote in message
> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista Home
> Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows starts
> to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is supposed
> to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support and
> receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device" and
> the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of any
> help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
> immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
> these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
> have lost the last sheet.
> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
> these steps have fixed my problem.
>

> Post Originated from http://www.VistaForums.com Vista Support Forums

R. C. White

Re: WD Passport USB device not recognized.
Hi, Michael.

I think you meant to "convert" the drive from FAT to NTFS. Reformatting it
WILL destroy the data. But the built-in command, convert.exe, will convert
the format from FAT to NTFS without destroying the contents - and it is much
quicker than reformatting, practically instantaneous.

To the OP: In a Command Prompt window, type: convert /?
This should display a "mini-Help" screen showing how to use the command.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
> If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in NTFS
> format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the drive
> so it will work in both machines.
>
> Michael
>

> "Intrepid5295" wrote in message
>> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista
>> Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows
>> starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is
>> supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows Support
>> and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB device"
>> and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were they of
>> any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it connects
>> immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from SpiritX in
>> these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to completion, and
>> have lost the last sheet.
>> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
>> these steps have fixed my problem.

Michael Walraven

Re: WD Passport USB device not recognized.
YES YES Convert, not format (embarrassed)

Michael

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, Michael.
>
> I think you meant to "convert" the drive from FAT to NTFS. Reformatting
> it WILL destroy the data. But the built-in command, convert.exe, will
> convert the format from FAT to NTFS without destroying the contents - and
> it is much quicker than reformatting, practically instantaneous.
>
> To the OP: In a Command Prompt window, type: convert /?
> This should display a "mini-Help" screen showing how to use the command.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
>> If the drive is in a fat format you might consider reformatting it in
>> NTFS format. Such a change does not destroy the data and might 'fix' the
>> drive so it will work in both machines.
>>
>> Michael
>>

>> "Intrepid5295" wrote in message
>>> I own a WD Passport device that, once upon a time, worked on my Vista
>>> Home Premium desktop. Now, whenever I plug it into any USB port, Windows
>>> starts to search for a driver......which it cannot find because none is
>>> supposed to be required. I have sent multiple messages to Windows
>>> Support and receive all kinds of stuff telling me "how to install a USB
>>> device" and the like.......none of which pertain to my problem nor were
>>> they of any help. I can take the device to my son's XP desktop, and it
>>> connects immediately. Earlier in December, I received a message from
>>> SpiritX in these forums, but I was sidetracked in following them to
>>> completion, and have lost the last sheet.
>>> I have completed the SCANNOW, CHECKDISK, and USB stack refresh. None of
>>> these steps have fixed my problem.

smlunatick

Try: http://www.uwe-sieber.de/usbtrouble_e.html