Moving Data from C: to D: acer/vista

Maca

Rick Rogers;708787 Wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> D: is simply storage space. Think of it as having two bookshelves
> instead of
> one to store books on. Create folders as desired on it to store files
> of
> your choosing. If desired, you can also remap things like your User
> Documents files to automatically go there (just right click the folder,
> choose properties and check the location tab).
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> 'Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'
> (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/)
> Windows help - 'www.rickrogers.org' (http://www.rickrogers.org/)
> My thoughts 'http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com'
> (http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com/)
>
> "david boylan" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
> news:611a51a51c3bc0958c9e5b2367acaaa3@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >
> > >
> > > Hi could somebody explain how i use my DATA D drive . When i open MY
> > > Computer i have a Acer C drive with 69.7 GB and a DATA D with the

> > same
> > > GB , it may seem a stupid question but i don't have a good knowledge

> > of
> > > computers
> > >
> > > Cheers Dave
> > >

> > > --
> > > david boylan > >

im having the same problems as the guy above and have limited it
skills.

I've been googling different forums all night and have took some
excellent advice and moved 6Gb over to D: without any repercussions.

however im in the process of copying my pictures over there(It didnt
give me the option to 'move' them directly so had to drag and drop). but
they still appear under the my computer tab AND in the D: drive does
this mean i've only copied them thus making my data shuffling problem
even bigger.

dont want to just delete them from my computer and it takes them off
the system completely.

can anyone shed any light im on an acer aspire 5720 with vista?

--
Maca
peter

Re: Moving Data from C: to D: acer/vista
you just copied them.
next time try a right click drag and drop
and a window should open asking if you want to copy or move.

The DATA drive can be used to install new programs most new programs have
the option of where to install to.

The mail storage and IE cache can be moved to the DATA drive thru tools in IE
and Mail
Most programs let you save your documents to a specific location ,you can change
that
location in the program to save to a folder you create on the D drive.

peter

or disruptive,please ignore it.

"Maca" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Rick Rogers;708787 Wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> D: is simply storage space. Think of it as having two bookshelves
>> instead of
>> one to store books on. Create folders as desired on it to store files
>> of
>> your choosing. If desired, you can also remap things like your User
>> Documents files to automatically go there (just right click the folder,
>> choose properties and check the location tab).
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> 'Microsoft Most Valuable Professional'
>> (http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/)
>> Windows help - 'www.rickrogers.org' (http://www.rickrogers.org/)
>> My thoughts 'http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com'
>> (http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com/)
>>
>> "david boylan" <guest@xxxxxx-email.com> wrote in message
>> news:611a51a51c3bc0958c9e5b2367acaaa3@xxxxxx-gateway.com...> > >

>> > same
>> > of

> im having the same problems as the guy above and have limited it
> skills.
>
> I've been googling different forums all night and have took some
> excellent advice and moved 6Gb over to D: without any repercussions.
>
> however im in the process of copying my pictures over there(It didnt
> give me the option to 'move' them directly so had to drag and drop). but
> they still appear under the my computer tab AND in the D: drive does
> this mean i've only copied them thus making my data shuffling problem
> even bigger.
>
> dont want to just delete them from my computer and it takes them off
> the system completely.
>
> can anyone shed any light im on an acer aspire 5720 with vista?
>

> --
> Maca

tom so

Re: Moving Data from C: to D: acer/vista

> > im having the same problems as the guy above and have limited it
> > skills.
> >
> > I've been googling different forums all night and have took some
> > excellent advice and moved 6Gb over to D: without any repercussions.
> >
> > however im in the process of copying my pictures over there(It didnt
> > give me the option to 'move' them directly so had to drag and drop). but
> > they still appear under the my computer tab AND in the D: drive does
> > this mean i've only copied them thus making my data shuffling problem
> > even bigger.
> >
> > dont want to just delete them from my computer and it takes them off
> > the system completely.
> >
> > can anyone shed any light im on an acer aspire 5720 with vista?
> >

> > --
> > Maca

> .

Hi Maca
you have copied the My Pictures folder (I presume you are talking about
*the* My Pictures folder). Do you know how to 'remap' the My Documents folder
to the D drive?

My Documents will *always* show under My Computer - but that is simply a
shortcut - the actual location of those folders can be anywhere on your
computer.

You have to 'remap' the location of these folders if you want stuff saved in
My Docs to be saved on the D drive.
Instructions for that e.g. here:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

hope that helps