Memory extension

Huib

Memory extension
Hi,
I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64 bit.
Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be any
problem to extent the memory.
Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB total)
The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available F2D.
Can the FW having any impact?
The product specification gives the following:
Extension / connection
Total extra slots (free)
• 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
• 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
• 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
I have no idea what this means.
Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
extra slot??

I would appreciate any comments.
Regards
Huib

Curious

Re: Memory extension
Win7 tests memory when it boots and if it all is not running at the same
speed Win7 may not run.
Put the memory back in its original configuration with the matched pair of 2
1GB rams and see if it will run.
Also just because a system such as a laptop has a 64 bit processor does not
mean that the laptop bios will support more then 4GB of memory since the
manufacturer has to make sure that the laptop will not overheat if too much
memory is installed

"Huib" <Huib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64 bit.
> Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
> The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be any
> problem to extent the memory.
> Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB
> total)
> The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available F2D.
> Can the FW having any impact?
> The product specification gives the following:
> Extension / connection
> Total extra slots (free)
> • 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
> • 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
> • 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
> I have no idea what this means.
> Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
> extra slot??
>
> I would appreciate any comments.
> Regards
> Huib

Rick Rogers

Re: Memory extension
Hi,

According to HP's support, your model, described in the link below, only
supports a maximum of 2GB of physical memory:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...365319&lang=en

This has nothing to do with the operating system that is installed, it's a
limitation of the hardware.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Huib" <Huib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64 bit.
> Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
> The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be any
> problem to extent the memory.
> Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB
> total)
> The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available F2D.
> Can the FW having any impact?
> The product specification gives the following:
> Extension / connection
> Total extra slots (free)
> ? 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
> ? 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
> ? 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
> I have no idea what this means.
> Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
> extra slot??
>
> I would appreciate any comments.
> Regards
> Huib

DL

Re: Memory extension
You made a mistake in upgrading your version of Win without first reading
the hardware specs of your Laptop

"Huib" <Huib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64 bit.
> Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
> The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be any
> problem to extent the memory.
> Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB
> total)
> The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available F2D.
> Can the FW having any impact?
> The product specification gives the following:
> Extension / connection
> Total extra slots (free)
> . 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
> . 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
> . 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
> I have no idea what this means.
> Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
> extra slot??
>
> I would appreciate any comments.
> Regards
> Huib

Huib

Re: Memory extension
Hi,
Thanks for the interest.
I did put the 2 x 1GB back and the system is working again even with 3GB
(1x2GB and 1x1GB).
The point is that HW wise + a 64bit SW the laptop should be able to work
with 4GB (2x2GB).
What else can i do? Bios update??

Regards
Huib

"Curious" wrote:

> Win7 tests memory when it boots and if it all is not running at the same
> speed Win7 may not run.
> Put the memory back in its original configuration with the matched pair of 2
> 1GB rams and see if it will run.
> Also just because a system such as a laptop has a 64 bit processor does not
> mean that the laptop bios will support more then 4GB of memory since the
> manufacturer has to make sure that the laptop will not overheat if too much
> memory is installed
>
> "Huib" <Huib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64 bit.
> > Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
> > The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be any
> > problem to extent the memory.
> > Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB
> > total)
> > The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available F2D.
> > Can the FW having any impact?
> > The product specification gives the following:
> > Extension / connection
> > Total extra slots (free)
> > • 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
> > • 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
> > • 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
> > I have no idea what this means.
> > Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
> > extra slot??
> >
> > I would appreciate any comments.
> > Regards
> > Huib
> >

> .

Huib

Re: Memory extension
Hi,
I was misleading due to other sites of HP where it was mentioned that the
maximum
size was depending on the use of SW so with a 64 bit for sure up to 4GB.

I beleive you but how is it to explain that when adding 3GB everything is
working fine
and the 3GB is seen in the Bios and in W7 / Systeem

Regards
Huib

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> According to HP's support, your model, described in the link below, only
> supports a maximum of 2GB of physical memory:
>
> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...365319&lang=en
>
> This has nothing to do with the operating system that is installed, it's a
> limitation of the hardware.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Huib" <Huib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> > I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64 bit.
> > Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
> > The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be any
> > problem to extent the memory.
> > Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB
> > total)
> > The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available F2D.
> > Can the FW having any impact?
> > The product specification gives the following:
> > Extension / connection
> > Total extra slots (free)
> > â?¢ 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
> > â?¢ 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
> > â?¢ 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
> > I have no idea what this means.
> > Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
> > extra slot??
> >
> > I would appreciate any comments.
> > Regards
> > Huib
> >

> .

Rick Rogers

Re: Memory extension
Hi,

The actual motherboard manufacturer may have designed it for 4GB (quite
common now), but HP's modifications have limited it. What you're seeing may
be a quirk of thier modifications.

--

> Hi,
> I was misleading due to other sites of HP where it was mentioned that the
> maximum
> size was depending on the use of SW so with a 64 bit for sure up to 4GB.
>
> I beleive you but how is it to explain that when adding 3GB everything is
> working fine
> and the 3GB is seen in the Bios and in W7 / Systeem
>
> Regards
> Huib
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> According to HP's support, your model, described in the link below, only
>> supports a maximum of 2GB of physical memory:
>>
>> http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...365319&lang=en
>>
>> This has nothing to do with the operating system that is installed, it's
>> limitation of the hardware.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Huib" <Huib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Hi,
>> > I have a laptop HP DV9285ea where i replaced the Vista by Windows7 64
>> > bit.
>> > Replacing the 2 Rams each 1 GB by 2GB (total 4GB) resulted in an error.
>> > The laptop is a 64bit processor and with W7 64bit there should not be
>> > any
>> > problem to extent the memory.
>> > Placing in one slot 2GB and the other 1GB was working properly. (3GB
>> > total)
>> > The current Bios has version F16 while their is new version available
>> > F2D.
>> > Can the FW having any impact?
>> > The product specification gives the following:
>> > Extension / connection
>> > Total extra slots (free)
>> > â?¢ 2 ( 0 ) x memory - SO DIMM 200-pins
>> > â?¢ 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54, 2 ( 0 ) x memory
>> > â?¢ 1 ( 1 ) x ExpressCard/54
>> > I have no idea what this means.
>> > Did i a mistake by just replacing the existing Ram , should their be an
>> > extra slot??
>> >
>> > I would appreciate any comments.
>> > Regards
>> > Huib
>> >

>> .

Curious

Re: Memory extension
Good guess, apparently HP was rightfully very concerned by the heat
generated by more then 2GB in the laptop and did not realize they had a bug
when memory sizes were mixed.