can't get normal start up with Vista

Ballina

can't get normal start up with Vista

My computer specs are ASUS PK5 deluxe motherboard, quad core 2.4 intel,
4 gigs ram, C drive is Raptor Western Digital 10K 85 gigs and D drive is
western digital 150gigs 72K. I do not have an internal CD drive as I
had bought a external DVD rewrite about 3 months before I bought the
computer so I told them not to install it (customer order).

My problems started two weeks ago after I installed AVG 9.0 release
anti virus.

I have been trying all sorts of things with no success. Every morning
my computer usually goes into normal start but then after that it seems
to by pass normal start and the c drive is spinning at a very fast pace
when I turn on the computer. I have not had a normal start for the last
3 days.

I initially tried normal start up when the screens froze the first time
and then when I went into mail and the screen locked up again. Then I
couldn't select safe mode - cursor frozen, then I tried to make a
usbflash key a bootable disc and the computer screen lit up asking which
boot to use. However the screen was frozen I could not move the cursor.
I had made the ubs bootable flash key wrong.

Yesterday over a friends house and we made a bootable winflash usb key.
I put the key in one of the motherboard slots and the computer did not
start up normally. The bootable flash key did not work as I think the c
drive is locked into a fast spin and doesn't stop to do a normal boot up
any more.

I get no signal on the monitor so Iknow the monitor is working. I
checked the usb bootable flash key by looking at it with my w7 laptop
and it does state it is a bootable disc. I feel the monitors are working
okay and I don't think their is a problem with the video driver as I
think the anti virus software is causing the problem

I read on line that release 9.0 was causing problems and some people
had gone back to 8.5. I saw a 148meg update yesterday on AVG website
and I downloaded on to my w7 laptop and everything is okay so far. That
update was very large so I think it was created to fix the problems but
I can't assess windows to download it into the desktop.

The C drive spins very fast every time I start it - either from a cold
boot or soft reboot. I cannot pull up either the bio's or the safe mode
using F8 or F1 or F2.

I'm at a lost as to what to do. Should I buy a internal C drive and
see it if works with my vista CD though I don't know if it will be
bootable as I can't get into bio's.

My ASUS manual states I can make a bootable Flashkey with Bios but if I
can't get the bootable vista flash key to work it doesn't make sense to
try a bios bootable disc.

Is there a way for me to access the internal C drive if I pull it out
and put it inside a external case drive? Is it hopeless - any thoughts
on what I can do? I have done backup's on most things that were not
system related but I didn't on my emails and I have folders that holds
content by subject data.

Thanks
Rose

--
Ballina
Ballina's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/39193.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Rick Rogers

Re: can't get normal start up with Vista
Hi Rose,

For starters, disconnect D:\ at the motherboard and power and see if that
changes anything. If not, then I would pull C: and connect it to another
system and run a disk check.

The problem may or may not be related to the AVG installation, it could be
coincidental. The symptoms sound more like a drive failure than a software
issue.

A bootable flash drive will not really do much for you, it's just designed
for you to update the system BIOS instruction set, and that is unlikely to
be the root of your problem.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/