random shutdown, crash, power management problem

dohoon

random shutdown, crash, power management problem
Hi,
After upgrading from xp (clean install) to vista ultimate, my pc does one of
these things:
crash (screen freezes, keyboard, mouse does not work and have to reboot)
black screen (num lock on, keyboard locks, usb optical mouse on, HDD light
off, pc fan & power on, have to reboot)

When my pc is off, num lock on keyboard stays on and when I press the mouse
button, the red light comes on. One more weird thing is that whether the PC
power is on or off, I think the power stays on. For example, I tried to use
different usb ports for mouse to test other ports and when I touch the metal
piece on the back of the computer, I see small sparks.

I’ve tested other power supply so I don’t think this is it. My power led
died and I pulled it off the motherboard… but I don’t think this is the
problem either.

Help please...
====
MSI 845Gmax, 2GB ram, Intel P4 2.8, intelimouse usb, ps2 keyboard, 430W
antec HE, 2 HDD, 1 DVD rom, firewire card, ATI radeon AGP

emanon

Re: random shutdown, crash, power management problem

"dohoon" <dohoon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
> After upgrading from xp (clean install) to vista ultimate, my pc does one
> of
> these things:
> crash (screen freezes, keyboard, mouse does not work and have to reboot)
> black screen (num lock on, keyboard locks, usb optical mouse on, HDD light
> off, pc fan & power on, have to reboot)
>
> When my pc is off, num lock on keyboard stays on and when I press the
> mouse
> button, the red light comes on. One more weird thing is that whether the
> PC
> power is on or off, I think the power stays on. For example, I tried to
> use
> different usb ports for mouse to test other ports and when I touch the
> metal
> piece on the back of the computer, I see small sparks.
>
> I've tested other power supply so I don't think this is it. My power led
> died and I pulled it off the motherboard. but I don't think this is the
> problem either.
>
> Help please...
> ====
> MSI 845Gmax, 2GB ram, Intel P4 2.8, intelimouse usb, ps2 keyboard, 430W
> antec HE, 2 HDD, 1 DVD rom, firewire card, ATI radeon AGP

Sounds normal for Vista. Looking at your hardware list I see the problem.
You did not buy a new computer to go with the upgrade.

Why did you give up a perfectly good reliable operating system? Go back to
XP. You will be happier for it.