Network Icon Missing

Paul Calcagno

Network Icon Missing
I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of RAM.
All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security Suite
software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software, CCleaner
and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
Firefox for browsing.

I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility Service
sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back, but
the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.

Is there anyway to recover this icon?

I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm connected
properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.

Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Bob

Re: Network Icon Missing
Run System Restore to a time before you got the blue screen.

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
> RAM.
> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
> Suite
> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
> CCleaner
> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
> Firefox for browsing.
>
> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
> Service
> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back,
> but
> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>
> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>
> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
> listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
> connected
> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>
> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing
Bob, thanks for your reply and suggestion. I've contemplated doing a
restore but am hesitant since doing that will take me back to a
configuration where my CA (California Associates) Security suite (from Road
Runner) license renewal might become expired, necessitating another 2 hour
phone call with CA to re-initialize my license.

Paul C

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Run System Restore to a time before you got the blue screen.
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
>> RAM.
>> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
>> Suite
>> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
>> CCleaner
>> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
>> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
>> Firefox for browsing.
>>
>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
>> Service
>> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in
>> the
>> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
>> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
>> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back,
>> but
>> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
>> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>>
>> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>>
>> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
>> listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
>> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
>> connected
>> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Peter Foldes

Re: Network Icon Missing
Bob

Why a System Restore? If you do not know how to have his issue fixed then do not
tell the OP to do something that is not necessary at all.

--
Peter

"Bob" <bob@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> Run System Restore to a time before you got the blue screen.
>
> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of RAM.
>> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security Suite
>> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software, CCleaner
>> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
>> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
>> Firefox for browsing.
>>
>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility Service
>> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
>> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
>> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
>> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back, but
>> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
>> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>>
>> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>>
>> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't listed. I
>> have no problems connecting to the internet even
>> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm connected
>> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Peter Foldes

Re: Network Icon Missing
Paul

Go to Control Pane\Network Connections and right click on your Local Area Connection
and select Properties.
On the bottom of the screen you will see Show Icon in Notification Area. If it is
not checked then check it and if is checked then uncheck it close out reboot and
when you open up again then repeat the process and recheck it. Let us know you made
out

--
Peter

"Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of RAM.
> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security Suite
> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software, CCleaner
> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
> Firefox for browsing.
>
> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility Service
> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back, but
> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>
> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>
> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't listed. I
> have no problems connecting to the internet even
> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm connected
> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>
> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing
Peter, thanks for your reply and suggestion.

I'm confused since in my Vista Home Premium Control Panel listing there's no
`Network Connections'. I do have Control Panel=>Network and Sharing Center,
but on that screen there's no place to `right click on Local Area
Connection' because I can't find a LAN. When I do look around in what I
have I don't see anything about `Show Icon in Notification Area'.

Is your advice perhaps pertaining to WinXP?

Paul C.

> Paul
>
> Go to Control Pane\Network Connections and right click on your Local Area
> Connection and select Properties.
> On the bottom of the screen you will see Show Icon in Notification Area.
> If it is not checked then check it and if is checked then uncheck it close
> out reboot and when you open up again then repeat the process and recheck
> it. Let us know you made out
>
> --
> Peter

> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
>> RAM.
>> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
>> Suite
>> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
>> CCleaner
>> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
>> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
>> Firefox for browsing.
>>
>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
>> Service
>> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in
>> the
>> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
>> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
>> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back,
>> but
>> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
>> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>>
>> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>>
>> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
>> listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
>> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
>> connected
>> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Curious

Re: Network Icon Missing
In control panel you may have a Notification area Icon option.

If not you can right click on blank space in the notification area to get to
the notification area icon options, it may take a few tries.
> Peter, thanks for your reply and suggestion.
>
> I'm confused since in my Vista Home Premium Control Panel listing there's
> no `Network Connections'. I do have Control Panel=>Network and Sharing
> Center, but on that screen there's no place to `right click on Local Area
> Connection' because I can't find a LAN. When I do look around in what I
> have I don't see anything about `Show Icon in Notification Area'.
>
> Is your advice perhaps pertaining to WinXP?
>
> Paul C.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Paul
>>
>> Go to Control Pane\Network Connections and right click on your Local Area
>> Connection and select Properties.
>> On the bottom of the screen you will see Show Icon in Notification Area.
>> If it is not checked then check it and if is checked then uncheck it
>> close out reboot and when you open up again then repeat the process and
>> recheck it. Let us know you made out
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
>>> RAM.
>>> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
>>> Suite
>>> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
>>> CCleaner
>>> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
>>> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
>>> Firefox for browsing.
>>>
>>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
>>> Service
>>> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in
>>> the
>>> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
>>> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but
>>> wasn't
>>> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back,
>>> but
>>> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
>>> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>>>
>>> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
>>> listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
>>> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
>>> connected
>>> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Peter Foldes

Re: Network Icon Missing
No not to XP but to Vista. What are you connecting with (i.e. Dial Up,DSL Lan or
what )
--
Peter

> Peter, thanks for your reply and suggestion.
>
> I'm confused since in my Vista Home Premium Control Panel listing there's no
> `Network Connections'. I do have Control Panel=>Network and Sharing Center, but on
> that screen there's no place to `right click on Local Area Connection' because I
> can't find a LAN. When I do look around in what I have I don't see anything about
> `Show Icon in Notification Area'.
>
> Is your advice perhaps pertaining to WinXP?
>
> Paul C.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Paul
>>
>> Go to Control Pane\Network Connections and right click on your Local Area
>> Connection and select Properties.
>> On the bottom of the screen you will see Show Icon in Notification Area. If it is
>> not checked then check it and if is checked then uncheck it close out reboot and
>> when you open up again then repeat the process and recheck it. Let us know you
>> made out
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Paul Calcagno" <pcalcagno@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of RAM.
>>> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security Suite
>>> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software, CCleaner
>>> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
>>> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
>>> Firefox for browsing.
>>>
>>> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility Service
>>> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
>>> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
>>> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
>>> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back, but
>>> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
>>> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>>>
>>> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>>>
>>> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't listed. I
>>> have no problems connecting to the internet even
>>> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm connected
>>> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

PaulM

Re: Network Icon Missing
Go and download this script, FixIconsClockPowerVolume
Download the script here:

http://www.paulsxp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=34

--
Paul's XP and Vista Tweaks
www.paulsxp.com

> I've got an Acer Desktop running Vista Home Premium (SP2) with 2 GB of
> RAM.
> All WU's are current. I'm Running CA (California Associates) Security
> Suite
> software with no conflict issues. Also have MBAM malware software,
> CCleaner
> and SuperAntiSpywareProfessional. I use Windows defender and Windows
> firewall. As far as I know I have no Malware/Spyware, AV issues. I use
> Firefox for browsing.
>
> I got a blue screen the other day while surfing on my Powere Utility
> Service
> sites. Upon reboot my desktop came up minus the little Network icon in the
> Notification area of the taskbar. Also missing was my Realtek HD Audio
> Manager icon for my PC speakers. I tried re-establishing these but wasn't
> successful. Then I tried another reboot and the Realtek icon came back,
> but
> the Network icon is still missing. I had to do another restart after a
> power failure and this time the same Network icon was missing.
>
> Is there anyway to recover this icon?
>
> I looked in `services.msc' to see if I could restart it but it wasn't
> listed. I have no problems connecting to the internet even
> though the Network icon is missing. When the icon is there (if I'm
> connected
> properly) it has a little blue screen on the icon monitor.
>
> Thanks in advance for your fine assistance.................Paul C.

Paul Calcagno

Re: Network Icon Missing - It Fixed Itself!!!
You're not going to believe this but I did nothing except go out tonight for
a couple of hours, and when I came back a minute ago I checked the
Notification section of the taskbar and lo and behold the Network icon
checkbox was no longer greyed out. I checked it and the icon came back. Very
mysterious.

So, I guess the moral of the story for others to internalize is if your
Notification icons disappear just wait a day or so and they'll come back!!!

Thanks so much for your help. Merry Christmas and Happy New