GeForce 6800 GS problem

swasrfa007

GeForce 6800 GS problem
sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover it.
anyone has any idea???
Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: GeForce 6800 GS problem
Do you have the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
http://www.coribright.com/windows

"swasrfa007" <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover
> it.
> anyone has any idea???

swasrfa007

Re: GeForce 6800 GS problem
Yes I do
In fact the problem started happening after I installed an IE Add-on from
www.nvidia.com for checking my Video Card stuff.
I cant really remember what it is or what is it for.
But I am 100% sure I got the add-on from www.nivida.com and the problem
happened right after the checking was completed.
It was like 1 month ago I think.

THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!!!

"Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:

> Do you have the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>
> "swasrfa007" <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover
> > it.
> > anyone has any idea???

JW

Re: GeForce 6800 GS problem
Can you go to control panel/ add delete programs and find the name of the
program you added last month?
By latest drivers do you mean the 158.22 drivers?
Can you clarify the symtom, I understand it to be that your screen goes
blank for a period of time and then it comes back again. And when it comes
back is any of the information that was on it missing?

> Yes I do
> In fact the problem started happening after I installed an IE Add-on from
> www.nvidia.com for checking my Video Card stuff.
> I cant really remember what it is or what is it for.
> But I am 100% sure I got the add-on from www.nivida.com and the problem
> happened right after the checking was completed.
> It was like 1 month ago I think.
>

> THANK YOU FOR HELPING!!!!
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" wrote:
>
>> Do you have the latest drivers from www.nvidia.com?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> http://www.coribright.com/windows
>>
>> "swasrfa007" <swasrfa007@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover
>> > it.
>> > anyone has any idea???

Casp

RE: GeForce 6800 GS problem
I too have the same error, the screen goes black and then the error message
that the display driver shutdown and was recovered, this happens at random
times. The latest nvidia drivers are installed.

"swasrfa007" wrote:

> sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover it.
> anyone has any idea???

JW

Re: GeForce 6800 GS problem
I assume that you never had the problem before upgrading to Vista from XP.
From some very limited testing of mine it appears that Vista outperforms XP
for games which means that it is putting a heavier load on the graphics
card.
Does the problem only happen when putting a heavy load on the graphics card
from Games or HDTV? If so it may be a power supply or overheating problem.

"Casp" <Casp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I too have the same error, the screen goes black and then the error message
> that the display driver shutdown and was recovered, this happens at random
> times. The latest nvidia drivers are installed.
>
> "swasrfa007" wrote:
>
>> sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover
>> it.
>> anyone has any idea???

Casp

Re: GeForce 6800 GS problem
Correct, in my case never had this problem with XP, for me the problem can
happen when just browsing Internet, after playing a game, straight after pc
boots up, it is really random. The temperature is the same as with XP so do
not think a problem with power or heat.

"JW" wrote:

> I assume that you never had the problem before upgrading to Vista from XP.
> From some very limited testing of mine it appears that Vista outperforms XP
> for games which means that it is putting a heavier load on the graphics
> card.
> Does the problem only happen when putting a heavy load on the graphics card
> from Games or HDTV? If so it may be a power supply or overheating problem.
>
> "Casp" <Casp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I too have the same error, the screen goes black and then the error message
> > that the display driver shutdown and was recovered, this happens at random
> > times. The latest nvidia drivers are installed.
> >
> > "swasrfa007" wrote:
> >
> >> sometimes my display driver will shut down then my windows will recover
> >> it.
> >> anyone has any idea???

JW

Re: GeForce 6800 GS problem
I used google to try and find an answer.
Apparently this problem is still occuring even with the 158.24 Vista drivers
so it appears that you will just have to wait till NVIDIA completes
development of the VISTA drivers by getting the functionality complete, the
bugs out and the performance up.