Using an extra storage HDD on Vista

Kevin J F

Using an extra storage HDD on Vista
Well, I'm getting a new computer with Vista preinstalled, and I have a hard
drive that I used on XP as extra storage, but I didn't install XP on the
drive. Can I use the data already stored on the drive without formatting?
Don

Re: Using an extra storage HDD on Vista
Kevin J F wrote:
> Well, I'm getting a new computer with Vista preinstalled, and I have a hard
> drive that I used on XP as extra storage, but I didn't install XP on the
> drive. Can I use the data already stored on the drive without formatting?

The only potential problem might be if the extra drive connects to a
different kind of disk controller than your Vista machine has. If both
disks are IDE or both are SATA then you should have no problems just
plugging the old drive into the new machine.

Kevin J F

"Don" wrote:

> Kevin J F wrote:
> > Well, I'm getting a new computer with Vista preinstalled, and I have a hard
> > drive that I used on XP as extra storage, but I didn't install XP on the
> > drive. Can I use the data already stored on the drive without formatting?

> The only potential problem might be if the extra drive connects to a
> different kind of disk controller than your Vista machine has. If both
> disks are IDE or both are SATA then you should have no problems just
> plugging the old drive into the new machine.

Alright, thanks, I shouldn't have any problems then.
Jawade

Re: Using an extra storage HDD on Vista
In article <2D57EADB-33CB-4AAD-B2C1-862B19DC259B@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?S2V2aW4gSiBG?= <KevinJF@discussions.microsoft.com> says...

> "Don" wrote:
>
> > Kevin J F wrote:
> > > Well, I'm getting a new computer with Vista preinstalled, and I have a hard
> > > drive that I used on XP as extra storage, but I didn't install XP on the
> > > drive. Can I use the data already stored on the drive without formatting?

> > The only potential problem might be if the extra drive connects to a
> > different kind of disk controller than your Vista machine has. If both
> > disks are IDE or both are SATA then you should have no problems just
> > plugging the old drive into the new machine.
> >

> Alright, thanks, I shouldn't have any problems then.

Even you have to set the jumpers on the drive in the good way.
In your situation "Slave".

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl