Flash drive flashing like crazy when plugged in

Marz

Flash drive flashing like crazy when plugged in
Hello

I have a question about my Attache flash drive and my Dell Inspiron 1501
laptop running Vista Home Premium.

When I boot up my computer and plug in my flash drive, the small red light
on the memory stick flashes on and off for a few minutes and my cursor blinks
quickly between the Vista spinning icon and the pointing arrow.

Is my computer trying to synchronize the memory stick with my hard
drive...or is it trying to do something else? I'm really not sure what is
going on here.

Sometimes I get the small AutoPlay menu and sometimes I don't.

On rare occasions I get a message that says that the port I am plugging the
memory stick into isn't a high speed port and my plugged in drive would
operate better on another port. But, the top port is the one I always use.

I have never had any problems with my Attache flash drive. And, the crazy
cursor thing appears to be nothing more than a minor irritation. But, I
wanted to post this and see if anyone knew what was going on with the flash
drive and why it and the cursor seem to be going crazy.

Do I need to boot up my computer, wait until it appears to be finished with
all the start-up routines and then plug in my memory stick?
Richard Urban

Re: Flash drive flashing like crazy when plugged in
When you plug in a flash drive the computer has to read the drive before the
auto play window opens. If you have many small files on the drive (say 2000
thousand .mp3 music files) it takes a longer amount of time to read the
flash drive. If you have a corrupted file on the drive it will cause further
problems.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP