APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist

funky_boogaloo

APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist
I have recently upgraded to Vista (what a nightmare) and when doing so, I
needed to update my drivers for my UPS - APC Powerchute Personal Edition
v2.1, for Vista.

Yesterday my PC cut out; there was no power cut, but the PC shut off
completely in an instant and the UPS the alarm was going off. It did not
switch to battery?

Rebooting the machine, it seemed the UPS was not talking to Vista properly.
This morning I have uninstalled the UPS drivers, downloaded again, now when
installing I get

"You are attempting to install software that is intended for Microsoft
Windows Vista"

So now Vista is telling the UPS driver that my OS in not Vista? Anyone any
ideas?

Thanks.
Richard Urban

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist
I can not understand at all why people "ALWAYS" blame the operating system
for problems that have absolutely nothing to do with the computer at all!

I don't have any PowerChute software installed on my computer yet my APC UPS
switches to battery fine. Even with just a desk lamp connected to the UPS
(nothing else at all) it switches to battery just fine.

You have issues with the UPS - like maybe a dead battery. Unplug everything
from the UPS with the exception of just a lamp. Then pull the UPS power plug
from the wall. The lamp should run for many hours before it goes dark. The
UPS should switch based upon whether the internal UPS circuitry detects the
mains. If the mains go out the UPS switches. Nothing to do with a computer
at all. It will work with a TV or radio or toaster oven.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"funky_boogaloo" <funky_boogaloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have recently upgraded to Vista (what a nightmare) and when doing so, I
> needed to update my drivers for my UPS - APC Powerchute Personal Edition
> v2.1, for Vista.
>
> Yesterday my PC cut out; there was no power cut, but the PC shut off
> completely in an instant and the UPS the alarm was going off. It did not
> switch to battery?
>
> Rebooting the machine, it seemed the UPS was not talking to Vista
> properly.
> This morning I have uninstalled the UPS drivers, downloaded again, now
> when
> installing I get
>
> "You are attempting to install software that is intended for Microsoft
> Windows Vista"
>
> So now Vista is telling the UPS driver that my OS in not Vista? Anyone any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks.

Steve Thackery

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist
I agree. Further, the PowerChute software is probably the most primitive,
crude and basically useless piece of software I've every used. You'd be far
better off just sticking with the basic UPS service in XP (presumably
there's an equivalent in Vista).

Last time I was using PowerChute it told me the battery was fully charged,
but as soon as I unplugged the mains the computer died. In fact the battery
was completely knackered.

I'm certain this is what is happening here, funky_boogaloo. The battery is
knackered.

By the way, be careful when performing the desk lamp test Richard describes.
A tired battery may well support a low wattage lamp for ages, and yet still
not cope with the higher power demands from your PC.

Finally, most "big" programs have some sort of auto-save functionality these
days. That, combined with the inherent resilience of NTFS against power
outages (it 'journals' everything) means that it is really quite hard to do
any harm from a power cut. If you don't believe me, try it a few times.

If you are worried about line transients and surges, use a suppressor
instead, and use your UPS for a boat anchor.

Steve

Richard Urban

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist
Replacement batteries cost almost as much as a newer UPS.

--

"Steve Thackery" <thack@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>I agree. Further, the PowerChute software is probably the most primitive,
>crude and basically useless piece of software I've every used. You'd be
>far better off just sticking with the basic UPS service in XP (presumably
>there's an equivalent in Vista).
>
> Last time I was using PowerChute it told me the battery was fully charged,
> but as soon as I unplugged the mains the computer died. In fact the
> battery was completely knackered.
>
> I'm certain this is what is happening here, funky_boogaloo. The battery
> is knackered.
>
> By the way, be careful when performing the desk lamp test Richard
> describes. A tired battery may well support a low wattage lamp for ages,
> and yet still not cope with the higher power demands from your PC.
>
> Finally, most "big" programs have some sort of auto-save functionality
> these days. That, combined with the inherent resilience of NTFS against
> power outages (it 'journals' everything) means that it is really quite
> hard to do any harm from a power cut. If you don't believe me, try it a
> few times.
>
> If you are worried about line transients and surges, use a suppressor
> instead, and use your UPS for a boat anchor.
>
> Steve

Paul Shapiro

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist
From APC that's true. If you get the replacement batteries from a reseller
the price is much more reasonable. I think replacement batteries at
www.provantage.com are about 20-25% of the cost of a new UPS.
Paul Shapiro

> Replacement batteries cost almost as much as a newer UPS.
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Steve Thackery" <thack@nowhere.net> wrote in message
>>I agree. Further, the PowerChute software is probably the most primitive,
>>crude and basically useless piece of software I've every used. You'd be
>>far better off just sticking with the basic UPS service in XP (presumably
>>there's an equivalent in Vista).
>>
>> Last time I was using PowerChute it told me the battery was fully
>> charged, but as soon as I unplugged the mains the computer died. In fact
>> the battery was completely knackered.
>>
>> I'm certain this is what is happening here, funky_boogaloo. The battery
>> is knackered.
>>
>> By the way, be careful when performing the desk lamp test Richard
>> describes. A tired battery may well support a low wattage lamp for ages,
>> and yet still not cope with the higher power demands from your PC.
>>
>> Finally, most "big" programs have some sort of auto-save functionality
>> these days. That, combined with the inherent resilience of NTFS against
>> power outages (it 'journals' everything) means that it is really quite
>> hard to do any harm from a power cut. If you don't believe me, try it a
>> few times.
>>
>> If you are worried about line transients and surges, use a suppressor
>> instead, and use your UPS for a boat anchor.
>>
>> Steve

funky_boogaloo

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising
Thanks guys, well the UPS is only 6 weeks old, so it's not the battery...

I didn't realise it'll run fine without any drivers, I'll give it a go and
see what it's like.

"Paul Shapiro" wrote:

> From APC that's true. If you get the replacement batteries from a reseller
> the price is much more reasonable. I think replacement batteries at
> www.provantage.com are about 20-25% of the cost of a new UPS.
> Paul Shapiro

> > Replacement batteries cost almost as much as a newer UPS.
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Richard Urban
> > Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> > (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
> >
> > Quote from George Ankner:
> > If you knew as much as you think you know,
> > You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
> >
> > "Steve Thackery" <thack@nowhere.net> wrote in message
> >>I agree. Further, the PowerChute software is probably the most primitive,
> >>crude and basically useless piece of software I've every used. You'd be
> >>far better off just sticking with the basic UPS service in XP (presumably
> >>there's an equivalent in Vista).
> >>
> >> Last time I was using PowerChute it told me the battery was fully
> >> charged, but as soon as I unplugged the mains the computer died. In fact
> >> the battery was completely knackered.
> >>
> >> I'm certain this is what is happening here, funky_boogaloo. The battery
> >> is knackered.
> >>
> >> By the way, be careful when performing the desk lamp test Richard
> >> describes. A tired battery may well support a low wattage lamp for ages,
> >> and yet still not cope with the higher power demands from your PC.
> >>
> >> Finally, most "big" programs have some sort of auto-save functionality
> >> these days. That, combined with the inherent resilience of NTFS against
> >> power outages (it 'journals' everything) means that it is really quite
> >> hard to do any harm from a power cut. If you don't believe me, try it a
> >> few times.
> >>
> >> If you are worried about line transients and surges, use a suppressor
> >> instead, and use your UPS for a boat anchor.
> >>
> >> Steve

funky_boogaloo

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising
> I can not understand at all why people "ALWAYS" blame the operating system
> for problems that have absolutely nothing to do with the computer at all!

To be fair, in the case of Vista, making that assumption first doesn't put
you far from the truth.

I mean, come on, the upgrade from XP to Vista was one of the hardest things
I ever did. I rebooted my machine after a three hour install to find I had no
mouse or keyboard (no USB support for them at first) and no support for my
network card. I had to buy a new network card that was supported, use a PS2
keyb/mouse to install it and get updates, then found out that my PDA, UPS and
Printer no longer worked as they used to.

Round of applause for Vista. Not the OS at all...yeah right.

David Vair

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising
Didn't the Upgrade Advisor inform you of the hardware issues that you might face before going ahead
and doing the upgrade?
--
Dave Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

"funky_boogaloo" <funkyboogaloo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
newsC27DBF8-3E5C-4F18-8BCB-E5BB36F8D778@microsoft.com...

> To be fair, in the case of Vista, making that assumption first doesn't put
> you far from the truth.
>
> I mean, come on, the upgrade from XP to Vista was one of the hardest things
> I ever did. I rebooted my machine after a three hour install to find I had no
> mouse or keyboard (no USB support for them at first) and no support for my
> network card. I had to buy a new network card that was supported, use a PS2
> keyb/mouse to install it and get updates, then found out that my PDA, UPS and
> Printer no longer worked as they used to.
>
> Round of applause for Vista. Not the OS at all...yeah right.

funky_boogaloo

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising
Unfortunately not, it did warn me about issues with software however, which
was nice to know.

"David Vair" wrote:

> Didn't the Upgrade Advisor inform you of the hardware issues that you might face before going ahead
> and doing the upgrade?
> --
> Dave Vair
> CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+

smazumder

Re: APC Powerchute Personal Edition v2.1 for UPS: Not recognising Vist

Hi guys!! I am new to this. I have a APC Smart UPS 700INET. It used to
work fine with Windows XP, It connects to my PC using a serial cable. I
was able to monitor the battery life/backup and configure shutdown in
case of AC Power loss by going into Control Panel > Power Options> UPS
Tab.
Now in Vista I don't find any place where I can configure my UPS or
even set it for auto shutdown. when there is a power cust vista doesn't
hibernate/shutdown by system. I spoke to APC and they told me to
download the powerchute s/w but that too doesn't work. can anyone help
me?

--
smazumder
smazumder's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=25469