Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive

rmo555@cox.net

Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive
My external drive just crashed and I use it solely for backup of my
systems. Since I haven't had much luck with the reliability of
external drives, I welcome suggestions for a drive that holds
approximately 500GB. The one I have now is 466GB capacity. Thank
you......
webster72n

Re: Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive

<rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
> My external drive just crashed and I use it solely for backup of my
> systems.

Why did it crash, when only used for back-up?
A bit more info is needed, I think.

Harry

> Since I haven't had much luck with the reliability of
> external drives, I welcome suggestions for a drive that holds
> approximately 500GB. The one I have now is 466GB capacity. Thank
> you......

Stan Starinski

Re: Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive
Look, my 2 externals travel, dropped several times, get abused - one of them
is ALWAYS in my car, away from workstation so if there's a disaster at home
I maintain a semi-remote backup; another is 60 miles away and gets swapped
with first periodically to updatee backup, and guess what?
I've never had ONE SINGLE drive failure, except internal harddisk which came
on a refurbished desktop years ago - no wonder, it wasn't new anyway.

Now back to your question:
Please check these places:

a) www.ecost.com

b) www.zipzoomfly.com

c) Maybe Amazon can offer you some great choices, but prices will be higher
than 2 above.
Zipzoomfly caters to techies, people who know computers form A to Z, can
assemble & troubleshoot circuits with own hands, and such..
I love that place.

Ecost is famous for refurbs/recerts/open-box & other bargains, they do sell
new, their target however is rockbottom prices.
It was cheap in 1997, it's still cheap in 2010. It's one of the first,
oldest e-retailers.
A decade ago I would also go to pc-mall.com and spend thousands there, but
it just got so bad and prices raised, while ecost remains what it was in
1990's.
Zipzoomfly was known as "GoogleGear.com" in 1990's, but Google sued them for
trademarks, so they changed name....

Stan Starinski

Re: Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive
a) Seagate
b) Hitachi/SimpleTechnologies

Check these at Ecost.com:

Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Desk External USB Hard Drive - ST305004FDA2E1RK
Only thing I don't like is white color.
$50 for 500GB
http://www.ecost.com/Detail/External...avid=155440101

Transcend 320GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive - TS320GSJ25M
$64 MILITARY DROP-TESTED New model
http://www.ecost.com/Detail/External...avid=155440101

You can buy my hardly-used 120GB for 5 dollars, I know it's tiny but who
knows maybe 120GB is partially OK dfor someone for 5 bucks?

IF YOU HAVE MONEY check:
Seagate Replica 500 GB Complete Multi-PC Backup System with Dock-Silver -
ST905004BDA101-RK
http://www.ecost.com/Detail/External...avid=155440101
$120

Seagate USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - STM307504OTA3E1-RK
750GB capacity,External, 7200 rpm, Spindle Speed, 16MB Buffer Size
$160 but it will keep you happy for years, in terms of performance, unless
you damage drives routinely which may indicate some systemic problem with
your setup and so this drive coul dbe busted before its specs become
obsolete

IF YOU DON"T HAVE MONEY:
JUST GOTO EBAY.
Almost 1/3 of my company's tools came from Ebay, professional tools, cheaper
than anywhere else but of course unlike normal seller tyou take chances with
Ebay... risk. I was burned once however, in all the years, someone sold me
half-dead RF Generator

vista bill

Re: Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive
On Nov 29, 10:49*pm, "Stan Starinski"
<China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote:
> a) Seagate
> b) Hitachi/SimpleTechnologies
>
> Check these at Ecost.com:
>
> Seagate 500GB FreeAgent Desk External USB Hard Drive - ST305004FDA2E1RK
> Only thing I don't like is white color.
> $50 for 500GBhttp://www.ecost.com/Detail/External+Storage/Seagate/ST305004FDA2E1RK...
>
> Transcend 320GB USB 2.0 Portable External Hard Drive - TS320GSJ25M
> $64 MILITARY DROP-TESTED *New modelhttp://www.ecost.com/Detail/External+Storage/Transcend/TS320GSJ25M/41...
>
> You can buy my hardly-used 120GB for 5 dollars, I know it's tiny but who
> knows maybe 120GB is partially OK dfor someone for 5 bucks?
>
> IF YOU HAVE MONEY check:
> Seagate Replica 500 GB Complete Multi-PC Backup System with Dock-Silver -
> ST905004BDA101-RKhttp://www.ecost.com/Detail/External+Storage/Seagate/ST905004BDA101-R...
> $120
>
> Seagate USB 2.0 External Hard Drive - STM307504OTA3E1-RK
> 750GB capacity,External, 7200 rpm, Spindle Speed, 16MB Buffer Size
> $160 but it will keep you happy for years, in terms of performance, unless
> you damage drives routinely which may indicate some systemic problem with
> your setup and so this drive coul dbe busted before its specs become
> obsolete
>
> IF YOU DON"T HAVE MONEY:
> JUST GOTO EBAY.
> Almost 1/3 of my company's tools came from Ebay, professional tools, cheaper
> than anywhere else but of course unlike normal seller tyou take chances with
> Ebay... risk. *I was burned once however, in all the years, someone sold me
> half-dead RF Generator

"You can buy my hardly-used 120GB for 5 dollars, I know it's tiny but
who
knows maybe 120GB is partially OK dfor someone for 5 bucks?"

Wow! I'd like to have it.

Bill
rak

Re: Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive
Seagate 500mb, 2yr warranty, 49.99 today at newegg.

<rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message

> My external drive just crashed and I use it solely for backup of my
> systems. Since I haven't had much luck with the reliability of
> external drives, I welcome suggestions for a drive that holds
> approximately 500GB. The one I have now is 466GB capacity. Thank
> you......

Kevin J SmallBone

Re: Need recommendations for 500GB external USB drive

"Stan Starinski" <China@stealsUSJobsPatentsSoftwareMusicVideo> wrote in
message news:eASS3rWcKHA.2184@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Look, my 2 externals travel, dropped several times, get abused - one of
> them is ALWAYS in my car, away from workstation so if there's a disaster
> at home I maintain a semi-remote backup; another is 60 miles away and gets
> swapped with first periodically to updatee backup, and guess what?
> I've never had ONE SINGLE drive failure, except internal harddisk which
> came on a refurbished desktop years ago - no wonder, it wasn't new anyway.

So you just back up your ****? Then you drop the drives? How stupid can
you get?

rmo555@cox.net

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:45:07 -0500, "rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote:

>Seagate 500mb, 2yr warranty, 49.99 today at newegg.
>
><rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>news:rb46h5tqmsitkmnud4ok09rfnsed2ij7uv@4ax.com.. .
>>
>> My external drive just crashed and I use it solely for backup of my
>> systems. Since I haven't had much luck with the reliability of
>> external drives, I welcome suggestions for a drive that holds
>> approximately 500GB. The one I have now is 466GB capacity. Thank
>> you......

Out of town for a few weeks - will check back then. Thanks......
rmo555@cox.net

> On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 10:45:07 -0500, "rak" <rakess@charter.net> wrote:
>
>>Seagate 500mb, 2yr warranty, 49.99 today at newegg.
>>
>><rmo555@cox.net> wrote in message
>>news:rb46h5tqmsitkmnud4ok09rfnsed2ij7uv@4ax.com. ..
>>>
>>> My external drive just crashed and I use it solely for backup of my
>>> systems. Since I haven't had much luck with the reliability of
>>> external drives, I welcome suggestions for a drive that holds
>>> approximately 500GB. The one I have now is 466GB capacity. Thank
>>> you......

> Out of town for a few weeks -

'Out of town' isn't it, is it? Not for the computer, anyway.