Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

multi port USB hubs question

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2009
Walter Goldschmidt
 

Posts: n/a
multi port USB hubs question
I recently received a multi port USB hub and plugged it into my laptop. It
seemed like a good idea as I only had 2 USB ports on my computer. This gave
me 4 where before I only had 1 which made a total of 5. I plugged a new
external DVD burning drive into one of the multi ports ports. The drive used
2 ports, 1 for drive and 1 for drives power. I also plugged 2 external hard
drives into the other 2 ports. The burning drive would not work and 1 of the
external hard drives was not detected in computer. I worked on this problem
all day surfing web for answers and finally got online with Microsoft
support and chatted with a tech. He took control of my computer and did some
troubleshooting for 3 hours. Nothing he did helped. I got to thinking about
the multi port USB hub and unplugged it from computer. Then I plugged the
burning drive directly into the computer using both USB ports on computer.
It worked flawlessly. Is this typical of these hubs or do I just have a
cheap one and need a better one. I think my ports on my computer weren't
generating enough power to run all the devices. Any information on this
would be very helpful.

Walt

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2009
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: multi port USB hubs question
Please think about what you just wrote. You have a drive that has 2 USB
connectors (to plug into 2 individual USB ports). The reason is that one USB
port may not be capable of supplying sufficient to run the drive, hence the
second cable.

Now you plug both of these cables into a USB hub that is, in turn, connected
to 1 (ONE) USB port.

You are overloading the single USB port and are lucky that you didn't burn
out the port on your computer.

You need a USB hub with an external power supply to do what you want to do.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP
Windows Desktop Experience & Security


"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
news:heq17s$18av$1@adenine.netfront.net...
>I recently received a multi port USB hub and plugged it into my laptop. It
>seemed like a good idea as I only had 2 USB ports on my computer. This gave
>me 4 where before I only had 1 which made a total of 5. I plugged a new
>external DVD burning drive into one of the multi ports ports. The drive
>used 2 ports, 1 for drive and 1 for drives power. I also plugged 2 external
>hard drives into the other 2 ports. The burning drive would not work and 1
>of the external hard drives was not detected in computer. I worked on this
>problem all day surfing web for answers and finally got online with
>Microsoft support and chatted with a tech. He took control of my computer
>and did some troubleshooting for 3 hours. Nothing he did helped. I got to
>thinking about the multi port USB hub and unplugged it from computer. Then
>I plugged the burning drive directly into the computer using both USB ports
>on computer. It worked flawlessly. Is this typical of these hubs or do I
>just have a cheap one and need a better one. I think my ports on my
>computer weren't generating enough power to run all the devices. Any
>information on this would be very helpful.
>
> Walt


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2009
Michael Walraven
 

Posts: n/a
Re: multi port USB hubs question
Did you USB hub have its own external power supply ? If it did not then you
have discovered your problem. If the hub is not using an external supply
then ALL its power is coming from the one USB port and being divided among
the ports in use. In your case you need two powered ports and with the USB
hub are getting only power from one.
(Hubs destined for use with desktops usually include a power plug wart
thing, those destined for laptops often don't have a provision for external
power.)

You can get information on power available and used on USB hubs from
device manager
Universal Serial bus controllers
the various USB Root Hub entries

Michael


"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
news:heq17s$18av$1@adenine.netfront.net...
> I recently received a multi port USB hub and plugged it into my laptop. It
> seemed like a good idea as I only had 2 USB ports on my computer. This
> gave me 4 where before I only had 1 which made a total of 5. I plugged a
> new external DVD burning drive into one of the multi ports ports. The
> drive used 2 ports, 1 for drive and 1 for drives power. I also plugged 2
> external hard drives into the other 2 ports. The burning drive would not
> work and 1 of the external hard drives was not detected in computer. I
> worked on this problem all day surfing web for answers and finally got
> online with Microsoft support and chatted with a tech. He took control of
> my computer and did some troubleshooting for 3 hours. Nothing he did
> helped. I got to thinking about the multi port USB hub and unplugged it
> from computer. Then I plugged the burning drive directly into the computer
> using both USB ports on computer. It worked flawlessly. Is this typical of
> these hubs or do I just have a cheap one and need a better one. I think my
> ports on my computer weren't generating enough power to run all the
> devices. Any information on this would be very helpful.
>
> Walt


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-28-2009
Walter Goldschmidt
 

Posts: n/a
Re: multi port USB hubs question
Your replies make complete sense to me but I didn't know about hubs with
their own power supply. As a matter of fact this is the first time I've ever
been involved with this device, Thanks for the education.

Walt


"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message
news:29BB2C56-8B89-4A5F-9132-2A7E6FEC0068@microsoft.com...
> Did you USB hub have its own external power supply ? If it did not then
> you have discovered your problem. If the hub is not using an external
> supply then ALL its power is coming from the one USB port and being
> divided among the ports in use. In your case you need two powered ports
> and with the USB hub are getting only power from one.
> (Hubs destined for use with desktops usually include a power plug wart
> thing, those destined for laptops often don't have a provision for
> external power.)
>
> You can get information on power available and used on USB hubs from
> device manager
> Universal Serial bus controllers
> the various USB Root Hub entries
>
> Michael
>
>
> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> news:heq17s$18av$1@adenine.netfront.net...
>> I recently received a multi port USB hub and plugged it into my laptop.
>> It seemed like a good idea as I only had 2 USB ports on my computer. This
>> gave me 4 where before I only had 1 which made a total of 5. I plugged a
>> new external DVD burning drive into one of the multi ports ports. The
>> drive used 2 ports, 1 for drive and 1 for drives power. I also plugged 2
>> external hard drives into the other 2 ports. The burning drive would not
>> work and 1 of the external hard drives was not detected in computer. I
>> worked on this problem all day surfing web for answers and finally got
>> online with Microsoft support and chatted with a tech. He took control of
>> my computer and did some troubleshooting for 3 hours. Nothing he did
>> helped. I got to thinking about the multi port USB hub and unplugged it
>> from computer. Then I plugged the burning drive directly into the
>> computer using both USB ports on computer. It worked flawlessly. Is this
>> typical of these hubs or do I just have a cheap one and need a better
>> one. I think my ports on my computer weren't generating enough power to
>> run all the devices. Any information on this would be very helpful.
>>
>> Walt

>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 12-03-2009
smlunatick
 

Posts: n/a
Re: multi port USB hubs question
On Nov 28, 9:41*am, "Walter Goldschmidt" <wg...@woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Your replies make complete sense to me but I didn't know about hubs with
> their own power supply. As a matter of fact this is the first time I've ever
> been involved with this device, Thanks for the education.
>
> Walt
>
> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalra...@verizon.not> wrote in message
>
> news:29BB2C56-8B89-4A5F-9132-2A7E6FEC0068@microsoft.com...
>
> > Did you USB hub have its own external power supply ? If it did not then
> > you have discovered your problem. If the hub is not using an external
> > supply then ALL its power is coming from the one USB port and being
> > divided among the ports in use. In your case you need two powered ports
> > and with the USB hub are getting only power from one.
> > (Hubs destined for use with desktops usually include a power plug wart
> > thing, those destined for laptops often don't have a provision for
> > external power.)

>
> > You can get information on power available and used on USB hubs from
> > device manager
> > Universal Serial bus controllers
> > the various USB Root Hub entries

>
> > Michael

>
> > "Walter Goldschmidt" <wg...@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> >news:heq17s$18av$1@adenine.netfront.net...
> >> I recently received a multi port USB hub and plugged it into my laptop..
> >> It seemed like a good idea as I only had 2 USB ports on my computer. This
> >> gave me 4 where before I only had 1 which made a total of 5. I pluggeda
> >> new external DVD burning drive into one of the multi ports ports. The
> >> drive used 2 ports, 1 for drive and 1 for drives power. I also plugged2
> >> external hard drives into the other 2 ports. The burning drive would not
> >> work and 1 of the external hard drives was not detected in computer. I
> >> worked on this problem all day surfing web for answers and finally got
> >> online with Microsoft support and chatted with a tech. He took controlof
> >> my computer and did some troubleshooting for 3 hours. Nothing he did
> >> helped. I got to thinking about the multi port USB hub and unplugged it
> >> from computer. Then I plugged the burning drive directly into the
> >> computer using both USB ports on computer. It worked flawlessly. Is this
> >> typical of these hubs or do I just have a cheap one and need a better
> >> one. I think my ports on my computer weren't generating enough power to
> >> run all the devices. Any information on this would be very helpful.

>
> >> Walt


FYI: There are two main types of USB hubs. One type is a hub that
just plugs in and uses the USB too power the other USB devices that
you connect to it. These are very useful when travelling since they
do not have the bulky power supplies.

The second type and possibly a "better" type are the powered hubs.
These come with a bulky "sqarish" transformer to provide additional
power to other devices.

Hard drives and DVD / CD burners tend to require more power than flash
drives.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on USB Hubs and Controllers in Device manager? & abit mor lee microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 0 04-15-2009 02:50
Multi-boot question okumaa microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 2 03-01-2008 20:55
multi-processor question b11_ microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 02-05-2008 02:45
TCP port question James microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 12 05-18-2007 19:57




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:41.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120