Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000

spentbros

Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
I just got one of these. I'm running Windows Vista & have been using a wired
Intellimouse. I installed the software & followed the installation
instructions (I thought), but the wireless mouse & receiver (which the
system reports is working normally) doesn't seem to do anything. The old
mouse is still installed & connected & works. What should I do to get the
new mouse working? Be gentle with me I'm not a computer wizard...

R. C. White

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
Hi, spentbros.

Since we can't see your computer and mouse, we'll need a lot more details to
be able to guess at a precise solution. There are just too many variables,
starting with the EXACT version of your mouse. Microsoft uses so many
confusingly-similar names that it's near-impossible to know whether we are
discussing the same hardware or not. (My Microsoft Wireless Desktop Laser
6000 is now up to v2.0 for the mouse and v3.0 for the keyboard, all with the
same name. They all are wireless, but the original used an RF transceiver
with a 6' cable from the USB port; the current version has a 2.4 GHz
transceiver smaller than most USB thumb drives.) And your operating system;
yes, I know it's Vista, but is it 32-bit or 64-bit? And exactly which
driver and any other software? I've lived through SO MANY versions of
IntelliType and IntelliMouse that "the latest" version doesn't mean much
anymore. :>(

The problem may be as simple as distance and interference between the
transceiver and mouse. When I plug my little 2.4 GHz thingy into a USB port
on the back of my computer case, my keyboard often drops keystrokes while I
type or just goes to sleep for a minute or so, right in the middle of a
word. When I move the transceiver to a 4-port hub closer to my desk, those
symptoms disappear - but the USB hub doesn't work before Windows starts up
and runs its driver, so I can't choose to dual-boot from Win7 to Vista
without moving the little thingy again.

About all I can suggest is that you check out two avenues:
1. In Device Manager, click Update Driver and have it search the Internet.
2. Go to
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK and
give them the information I mentioned above.

Good luck!

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"spentbros" <spentbrothers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> I just got one of these. I'm running Windows Vista & have been using a
> wired
> Intellimouse. I installed the software & followed the installation
> instructions (I thought), but the wireless mouse & receiver (which the
> system reports is working normally) doesn't seem to do anything. The old
> mouse is still installed & connected & works. What should I do to get the
> new mouse working? Be gentle with me I'm not a computer wizard...

spentbros

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
The mouse is Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse Model 1058 manufactured July
2009. The USB receiver is Microsoft Wireless Receiver v1.0 Model 1053. I am
running Vista 32 bit fully updated. I have installed the latest driver from
Microsoft website. The receiver is near the mouse so it's not a proximity
problem. I have tried resetting receiver & mouse to no effect. The mouse
just does nothing, move the cursor, click...

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, spentbros.
>
> Since we can't see your computer and mouse, we'll need a lot more details
> to be able to guess at a precise solution. There are just too many
> variables, starting with the EXACT version of your mouse. Microsoft uses
> so many confusingly-similar names that it's near-impossible to know
> whether we are discussing the same hardware or not. (My Microsoft
> Wireless Desktop Laser 6000 is now up to v2.0 for the mouse and v3.0 for
> the keyboard, all with the same name. They all are wireless, but the
> original used an RF transceiver with a 6' cable from the USB port; the
> current version has a 2.4 GHz transceiver smaller than most USB thumb
> drives.) And your operating system; yes, I know it's Vista, but is it
> 32-bit or 64-bit? And exactly which driver and any other software? I've
> lived through SO MANY versions of IntelliType and IntelliMouse that "the
> latest" version doesn't mean much anymore. :>(
>
> The problem may be as simple as distance and interference between the
> transceiver and mouse. When I plug my little 2.4 GHz thingy into a USB
> port on the back of my computer case, my keyboard often drops keystrokes
> while I type or just goes to sleep for a minute or so, right in the middle
> of a word. When I move the transceiver to a 4-port hub closer to my desk,
> those symptoms disappear - but the USB hub doesn't work before Windows
> starts up and runs its driver, so I can't choose to dual-boot from Win7 to
> Vista without moving the little thingy again.
>
> About all I can suggest is that you check out two avenues:
> 1. In Device Manager, click Update Driver and have it search the Internet.
> 2. Go to
> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK and
> give them the information I mentioned above.
>
> Good luck!
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "spentbros" <spentbrothers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>> I just got one of these. I'm running Windows Vista & have been using a
>> wired
>> Intellimouse. I installed the software & followed the installation
>> instructions (I thought), but the wireless mouse & receiver (which the
>> system reports is working normally) doesn't seem to do anything. The old
>> mouse is still installed & connected & works. What should I do to get the
>> new mouse working? Be gentle with me I'm not a computer wizard...

Dominic Payer

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
If you go to
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK and
select the mouse and keyboard separately you will get links to the
Intellipoint and Intellitype software you need.

The page is broken for the desktop set as it does not list Windows 7 as
an OS for the Wireless Laser Desktop 5000.

On 25/11/2009 09:45, spentbros wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> RC
>> --
>> R. C. White, CPA
>> San Marcos, TX
>> rc@grandecom.net
>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64
>>
>> "spentbros" <spentbrothers@btinternet.com> wrote in message
>>> I just got one of these. I'm running Windows Vista & have been using
>>> a wired
>>> Intellimouse. I installed the software & followed the installation
>>> instructions (I thought), but the wireless mouse & receiver (which the
>>> system reports is working normally) doesn't seem to do anything. The old
>>> mouse is still installed & connected & works. What should I do to get
>>> the
>>> new mouse working? Be gentle with me I'm not a computer wizard...

Thanks, Dominic, but I've already done that to no effect...

"Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
> [...]
>>> hub closer to my desk, those symptoms disappear - but the USB hub
>>> doesn't work before Windows starts up and runs its driver, so I can't
>>> choose to dual-boot from Win7 to Vista without moving the little
>>> thingy again.
>>>
>>> About all I can suggest is that you check out two avenues:
>>> 1. In Device Manager, click Update Driver and have it search the
>>> Internet.
>>> 2. Go to
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK
>>> and give them the information I mentioned above.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> RC
>>> --
>>> R. C. White, CPA
>>> San Marcos, TX
>>> rc@grandecom.net
>>> Microsoft Windows MVP
>>> Windows Live Mail 2009 (14.0.8089.0726) in Win7 Ultimate x64

Disconnect your old mouse and reboot.
Is the 5000 mouse detected - shown under Mice in Device Manager?

Put it close to the transmitter and test it on any flat surface. Does it
work?

If either of the above fails, it is faulty and should be returned for
replacement.

On 25/11/2009 12:14, spentbros wrote:
> Thanks, Dominic, but I've already done that to no effect...
>
> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> If you go to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK
>> and select the mouse and keyboard separately you will get links to the
>> Intellipoint and Intellitype software you need.
>>
>> The page is broken for the desktop set as it does not list Windows 7
>> as an OS for the Wireless Laser Desktop 5000.
>>

>> On 25/11/2009 09:45, spentbros wrote:
>>> The mouse is Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse Model 1058 manufactured July
>>> 2009. The USB receiver is Microsoft Wireless Receiver v1.0 Model 1053. I
>>> am running Vista 32 bit fully updated. I have installed the latest
>>> driver from Microsoft website. The receiver is near the mouse so it's
>>> not a proximity problem. I have tried resetting receiver & mouse to no
>>> effect. The mouse just does nothing, move the cursor, click...

R. C. White

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
Hi, spentbros.

As Dominic said, either the mouse itself or the transmitter may have died.
(You DID check the batteries, right?)

Microsoft's warranty should cover this. When my 6000 mouse went bad a
couple of years after I bought the desktop set, I contacted MSFT (not sure
which web page, probably:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/Warranties.mspx ) and they sent me a new
one. I didn't even have to return the old one. That's how I got the later
2.4 GHz transceiver to replace the original RF version.

RC
--

> Thanks, Dominic, but I've already done that to no effect...
>
> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> If you go to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK and
>> select the mouse and keyboard separately you will get links to the
>> Intellipoint and Intellitype software you need.
>>
>> The page is broken for the desktop set as it does not list Windows 7 as
>> an OS for the Wireless Laser Desktop 5000.
>>

>> On 25/11/2009 09:45, spentbros wrote:
>>> The mouse is Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse Model 1058 manufactured July
>>> 2009. The USB receiver is Microsoft Wireless Receiver v1.0 Model 1053. I
>>> am running Vista 32 bit fully updated. I have installed the latest
>>> driver from Microsoft website. The receiver is near the mouse so it's
>>> not a proximity problem. I have tried resetting receiver & mouse to no
>>> effect. The mouse just does nothing, move the cursor, click...

spentbros

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
Tried that, still no joy. Windows installed a driver on boot up, told me it
was installed OK, but the mouse still does nothing. The device is listed in
Device Manager as operating normally & Windows Mouse program says battery
high & radio signal strong...

> Disconnect your old mouse and reboot.
> Is the 5000 mouse detected - shown under Mice in Device Manager?
>
> Put it close to the transmitter and test it on any flat surface. Does it
> work?
>
> If either of the above fails, it is faulty and should be returned for
> replacement.
>

> On 25/11/2009 12:14, spentbros wrote:
>> Thanks, Dominic, but I've already done that to no effect...
>>
>> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> If you go to
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/do...px?category=MK
>>> and select the mouse and keyboard separately you will get links to the
>>> Intellipoint and Intellitype software you need.
>>>
>>> The page is broken for the desktop set as it does not list Windows 7
>>> as an OS for the Wireless Laser Desktop 5000.

Dominic Payer

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
Send it back. There's something wrong with the mouse internals.

On 26/11/2009 16:12, spentbros wrote:
> Tried that, still no joy. Windows installed a driver on boot up, told me it
> was installed OK, but the mouse still does nothing. The device is listed in
> Device Manager as operating normally & Windows Mouse program says battery
> high & radio signal strong...
>
> "Dominic Payer" <dcp@dcp.fsv.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Disconnect your old mouse and reboot.
>> Is the 5000 mouse detected - shown under Mice in Device Manager?
>>
>> Put it close to the transmitter and test it on any flat surface. Does
>> it work?
>>
>> If either of the above fails, it is faulty and should be returned for
>> replacement.
>>

>> On 25/11/2009 12:14, spentbros wrote:
>>> Thanks, Dominic, but I've already done that to no effect...

Peter Foldes

Re: Microsoft wireless laser mouse 5000
Maybe a stupid question and most probably is but did you by any chance push the
activation button on the receiver itself yet. There is a button on the front and
bottom of the wireless mouse receiver which is black and oval (and same color as
receiver and hard to see) which will make the receiver work with the wireless mouse
and or keyboard or the combination of the two..

--
Peter