DVD RW Drive Problem

JamesJ

DVD RW Drive Problem
What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
than 'None' was 'Disabled'
I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
connections it now seems to be ok.
Could this be a bad ribbon?

James

Don Morgan

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
James--Try Microsoft Fix it 50027. It worked for me.
Don M

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
> connections it now seems to be ok.
> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>
> James

JamesJ

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
Thanks.
I'll do it.

James

"Don Morgan" <lobem4@cox.net> wrote in message
> James--Try Microsoft Fix it 50027. It worked for me.
> Don M
>
> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
>> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
>> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
>> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
>> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
>> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
>> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
>> connections it now seems to be ok.
>> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>>
>> James

GTS

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
> connections it now seems to be ok.
> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>
> James

Yes, or it could have been a loose or dirty connection. It's also possible
that the drive may be failing and will act up intermittently. Note the MS
Fix mentioned is irrelevant. If the drive was not being detected by the
BIOS, it has nothing to do with Windows.

JamesJ

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
BIOS didn't detect it either.

The drive is 3 years old.
Could it go bad in that short of time?

James

"GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message

> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
>> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
>> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
>> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
>> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
>> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
>> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
>> connections it now seems to be ok.
>> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>>
>> James
>>

> Yes, or it could have been a loose or dirty connection. It's also
> possible that the drive may be failing and will act up intermittently.
> Note the MS Fix mentioned is irrelevant. If the drive was not being
> detected by the BIOS, it has nothing to do with Windows.

Peter Foldes

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem

Peter

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
> connections it now seems to be ok.
> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>
> James

Richard G. Harper

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
Drives can go bad whenever they go bad. Days, weeks, months, years. If
BIOS does not see it and all connections are known to be good, then the
drive has likely failed.

> BIOS didn't detect it either.
>
> The drive is 3 years old.
> Could it go bad in that short of time?
>
> James
>
> "GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>>> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
>>> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
>>> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
>>> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
>>> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
>>> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
>>> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
>>> connections it now seems to be ok.
>>> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> Yes, or it could have been a loose or dirty connection. It's also
>> possible that the drive may be failing and will act up intermittently.
>> Note the MS Fix mentioned is irrelevant. If the drive was not being
>> detected by the BIOS, it has nothing to do with Windows.

Richard Urban

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
The laser in the drive has a finite life span, and sometimes it seems to be
way to short.

I have seen a drive unable to detect any DVD disk after only about 25 hours
of actual recording time. The drive was 1 year old and, as most drives,
plays disks much more than it records disks. The CD function worked fine.

I have had 3 Sony drives fail prior to reaching an actual DVD recording time
of 50 hours. I now have a Lite-On that is approaching 100 hours and still
working fine.

Note that when recording fails, playback may still work. Also, because there
are 2 lasers, one for DVD and one for CD, one of the functions may be fine
while the other is defective.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> BIOS didn't detect it either.
>
> The drive is 3 years old.
> Could it go bad in that short of time?
>
> James
>
> "GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>>> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
>>> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
>>> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
>>> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
>>> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
>>> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
>>> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
>>> connections it now seems to be ok.
>>> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> Yes, or it could have been a loose or dirty connection. It's also
>> possible that the drive may be failing and will act up intermittently.
>> Note the MS Fix mentioned is irrelevant. If the drive was not being
>> detected by the BIOS, it has nothing to do with Windows.

GTS

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
Sure. Parts can fail at any time.
--

"JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> BIOS didn't detect it either.
>
> The drive is 3 years old.
> Could it go bad in that short of time?
>
> James
>
> "GTS" <x@y.net> wrote in message
>>
>> "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
>>> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
>>> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
>>> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
>>> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
>>> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
>>> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
>>> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
>>> connections it now seems to be ok.
>>> Could this be a bad ribbon?
>>>
>>> James
>>>

>> Yes, or it could have been a loose or dirty connection. It's also
>> possible that the drive may be failing and will act up intermittently.
>> Note the MS Fix mentioned is irrelevant. If the drive was not being
>> detected by the BIOS, it has nothing to do with Windows.

smlunatick

Re: DVD RW Drive Problem
On Nov 12, 12:01*am, "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote:
> BIOS didn't detect it either.
>
> The drive is 3 years old.
> Could it go bad in that short of time?
>
> James
>
> "GTS" <x...@y.net> wrote in message

> > "JamesJ" <jjy@darwin_roadrunne0r.com> wrote in message
> >> What would cause Vista x32 sp2 to all of a sudden not see my
> >> DVD RW Drive. I went to open it today and nothing happened.
> >> I checked 'Computer' and the device wasn't there. I checked
> >> BIOS and it showed as 'None'. The only option in the BIOS other
> >> than 'None' was 'Disabled'
> >> I opened my computer and checked the ribbon which seemed to be
> >> connected ok. After jiggling the ribbon and checking the other
> >> connections it now seems to be ok.
> >> Could this be a bad ribbon?

> >> James

> > Yes, or it could have been a loose or dirty connection. *It's also
> > possible that the drive may be failing and will act up intermittently.
> > Note the MS Fix mentioned is irrelevant. *If the drive was not being
> > detected by the BIOS, it has nothing to do with Windows.

Six (6) months is a short amount of time for computer and computer
parts. Three (3) years could be consider an "eternity!"