Use of Image Backup cd

Arico

Use of Image Backup cd
Hi I would like to know if I make a full image back-up cd of my laptop will any one else who gets hold of this cd or back-up disk be able to booth in another pc or laptop, and access my files in their.

in short can a backup disk be used in another pc or laptop.

--
George Mathias
Michael Walraven

Re: Use of Image Backup cd
That is going to be a LOT of CDs, those CDs could be used to restore onto
another computer. That restore may not work depending on the differences in
hardware. If your concern is security (access to the files) then know that
the restore will permit access to the files. EFS (encrypted)
files/directories may be protected depending on the encryption. Depending on
the backup program used the CD's themselves could be used to access files
without restoring to another computer.

"Arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
> Hi I would like to know if I make a full image back-up cd of my laptop
> will any one else who gets hold of this cd or back-up disk be able to
> booth in another pc or laptop, and access my files in their.
>
> in short can a backup disk be used in another pc or laptop.
>
> --
> George Mathias

George Mathias

Re: Use of Image Backup cd

this backup would be of the complete operating system, so will this backup of my operating system work on another laptop of similar hardware configuration, what if I have given a password on booth as I have done now, will this help as a security? and yea I intend to do a backup on DVD around 5 of them.

"Michael Walraven" <mexxwalraven@verizon.not> wrote in message news:567AE914-A606-422B-BA4B-A1FB02EB910A@microsoft.com...
> That is going to be a LOT of CDs, those CDs could be used to restore onto
> another computer. That restore may not work depending on the differences in
> hardware. If your concern is security (access to the files) then know that
> the restore will permit access to the files. EFS (encrypted)
> files/directories may be protected depending on the encryption. Depending on
> the backup program used the CD's themselves could be used to access files
> without restoring to another computer.
>

> "Arico" <arico@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
>> Hi I would like to know if I make a full image back-up cd of my laptop
>> will any one else who gets hold of this cd or back-up disk be able to
>> booth in another pc or laptop, and access my files in their.
>>
>> in short can a backup disk be used in another pc or laptop.
>>
>> --
>> George Mathias

smlunatick

Re: Use of Image Backup cd
On Nov 11, 6:14*am, "George Mathias" <boyar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this backup would be of the complete operating system, so will this backup of my operating system work on another laptop of similar hardware configuration, what if I have given a password on booth as I have done now, will this help as a security? and yea I intend to do a backup on DVD around 5 of them.

> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalra...@verizon.not> wrote in messagenews:567AE914-A606-422B-BA4B-A1FB02EB910A@microsoft.com...
> > That is going to be a LOT of CDs, those CDs could be used to restore onto
> > another computer. That restore may not work depending on the differences in
> > hardware. If your concern is security (access to the files) then know that
> > the restore will permit access to the files. EFS (encrypted)
> > files/directories may be protected depending on the encryption. Depending on
> > the backup program used the CD's themselves could be used to access files
> > without restoring to another computer.

> > "Arico" <ar...@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi I would like to know if I make a full image back-up cd of my laptop
> >> will any one else who gets hold of this cd or back-up disk be able to
> >> booth in another pc or laptop, and access my files in their.

> >> in short can a backup disk be used in another pc or laptop.

> >> --
> >> George Mathias

The image CD can be attempted to be restored on another PC. However,
it "may" not boot up correctly since Vista has to be "activated" in
order to work correctly. This activation process uses several
"hardware" components as "flags" to determine which PC this Vista was
installed on. It is highly "unlikely" to have two PCs 100 % identical
so these "hardware" components would "probably" not be the same.

However, there are several imaging software packages that permit the
mounting the images as "virtual" hard drives in order to allow you to
copy files out from the image.
Frank-FL

Re: Use of Image Backup cd
"smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote in message
On Nov 11, 6:14 am, "George Mathias" <boyar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> this backup would be of the complete operating system, so will this
> backup of my operating system work on another laptop of similar
> hardware configuration, what if I have given a password on booth as
> I have done now, will this help as a security? and yea I intend to
> do a backup on DVD around 5 of them.

> "Michael Walraven" <mexxwalra...@verizon.not> wrote in
> messagenews:567AE914-A606-422B-BA4B-A1FB02EB910A@microsoft.com...
> > That is going to be a LOT of CDs, those CDs could be used to
> > restore onto
> > another computer. That restore may not work depending on the
> > differences in
> > hardware. If your concern is security (access to the files) then
> > know that
> > the restore will permit access to the files. EFS (encrypted)
> > files/directories may be protected depending on the encryption.
> > Depending on
> > the backup program used the CD's themselves could be used to
> > access files
> > without restoring to another computer.

> > "Arico" <ar...@false-email-id.com> wrote in message
> >> Hi I would like to know if I make a full image back-up cd of my
> >> laptop
> >> will any one else who gets hold of this cd or back-up disk be
> >> able to
> >> booth in another pc or laptop, and access my files in their.

> >> in short can a backup disk be used in another pc or laptop.

> >> --
> >> George Mathias

Backing up to ROM (read only media) would be almost useless after a
few days. Incremental back ups to a remote hard drive would be better
suited.