Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

system restore not working

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009
George Mathias
 

Posts: n/a
system restore not working

hi, on my friends laptop vista home basic, while trying to restore the system to previous points one gets an error stating "restore was unsuccessful, no changes have been made, please try again"

In such a case what would one advice to do,

And why it is showing such an error, possible causes.
--
George Mathias


Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009
who?
 

Posts: n/a
Re: system restore not working

"George Mathias" <boyarico@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:12B362CF-8846-4253-AFFB-EE8B7DAF1251@microsoft.com...

hi, on my friends laptop vista home basic, while trying to restore the
system to previous points one gets an error stating "restore was
unsuccessful, no changes have been made, please try again"

In such a case what would one advice to do,

And why it is showing such an error, possible causes.
--
George Mathias

Boot to safe mode before using System restore.
Start your computer in safe mode:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode



Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009
George Mathias
 

Posts: n/a
Re: system restore not working
can you please list few possible causes due to which one gets such a error. Is it infected with virus, or any other bug. Since the laptop has Norton Antivirus which was not updated.





------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"who?" <dsshd@sdasfvrrrrrnnnnrrrrsfffff.invalid> wrote in message news:hd94nu$1nl$1@aioe.org...
>
> "George Mathias" <boyarico@gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:12B362CF-8846-4253-AFFB-EE8B7DAF1251@microsoft.com...
>
> hi, on my friends laptop vista home basic, while trying to restore the
> system to previous points one gets an error stating "restore was
> unsuccessful, no changes have been made, please try again"
>
> In such a case what would one advice to do,
>
> And why it is showing such an error, possible causes.
> --
> George Mathias
>
> Boot to safe mode before using System restore.
> Start your computer in safe mode:
> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009
Curious
 

Posts: n/a
Re: system restore not working
Do you have a dual boot system? If so AFAIK the system restore data is
only valid for the last system you booted into.

"George Mathias" <boyarico@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:#$a0lUUYKHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> can you please list few possible causes due to which one gets such a
> error. Is it infected with virus, or any other bug. Since the laptop has
> Norton Antivirus which was not updated.
>
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> "who?" <dsshd@sdasfvrrrrrnnnnrrrrsfffff.invalid> wrote in message
> news:hd94nu$1nl$1@aioe.org...
>>
>> "George Mathias" <boyarico@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:12B362CF-8846-4253-AFFB-EE8B7DAF1251@microsoft.com...
>>
>> hi, on my friends laptop vista home basic, while trying to restore the
>> system to previous points one gets an error stating "restore was
>> unsuccessful, no changes have been made, please try again"
>>
>> In such a case what would one advice to do,
>>
>> And why it is showing such an error, possible causes.
>> --
>> George Mathias
>>
>> Boot to safe mode before using System restore.
>> Start your computer in safe mode:
>> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...r-in-safe-mode
>>
>>
>>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009
who?
 

Posts: n/a
Re: system restore not working

>"George Mathias" <boyarico@gmail.com> wrote in message
>news:%23$a0lUUYKHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...


>can you please list few possible causes due to which one gets such a error.
>Is it infected with virus, or any other bug. Since the >laptop has Norton
>Antivirus which was not updated.



I have this problem for years on my XP system (HP laptop) but it's not such
a big problem. Here are some ideas: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

You can see from above that malware is just one of many possible causes. My
computer is malware free.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 11-09-2009
George Mathias
 

Posts: n/a
Re: system restore not working
to WHO?


Hi thanks your documentations was the exact opposite replica of the problem, and the problem is solved, thank you once again.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"who?" <dsshd@sdasfvrrrrrnnnnrrrrsfffff.invalid> wrote in message news:hd9a8i$94j$1@aioe.org...
>
>>"George Mathias" <boyarico@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>news:%23$a0lUUYKHA.4704@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl.. .

>
>>can you please list few possible causes due to which one gets such a error.
>>Is it infected with virus, or any other bug. Since the >laptop has Norton
>>Antivirus which was not updated.

>
>
> I have this problem for years on my XP system (HP laptop) but it's not such
> a big problem. Here are some ideas: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html
>
> You can see from above that malware is just one of many possible causes. My
> computer is malware free.
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 11-10-2009
Dave T.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: system restore not working
George Mathias wrote:
> to WHO?
>
>
> Hi thanks your documentations was the exact opposite replica of the problem, and the problem is solved, thank you once again.



I'm glad you found the problem. For the edification of others who view
this thread, one cause of system restore failure not listed in berts
article is the presence of Norton anti-virus. Norton AV shuts off system
restore as part of it's protection scheme. Just one of many reasons I
will no longer use Symantec products.

Dave T.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
System Restore Not Working David4321 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 09-01-2009 01:13
System Restore not working susanb12 Software Problems 0 04-09-2009 19:33
System restore not working jannerhank microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance maintenance 2 01-04-2009 18:16
System Restore Not working Andirhue microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 03-19-2008 20:58
System restore not working GrannyJ microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 3 02-09-2008 17:39




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:37.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120