Can't access primary drive

the1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can't access primary drive
My laptop hdd failed. Last time that happened, i connected the hdd to my other computer, ran scandisk and started working. this time, i ran scandisk but i still can't access my hdd.
here is the scenario-
-my secondary partition can be accessed, so hdd is not bad.
-on computer management's disk management, i can see that hdd is healthy and can show property of the partition.
-if i use windows backup, i can see that it is accessing the files in the partition

anyone can give me idea how to restore partition . i don't want to use data recovery software. thanks
philo

Re: Can't access primary drive
the1 wrote:
> My laptop hdd failed. Last time that happened, i connected the hdd to my
> other computer, ran scandisk and started working. this time, i ran
> scandisk but i still can't access my hdd.
> here is the scenario-
> -my secondary partition can be accessed, so hdd is not bad.
> -on computer management's disk management, i can see that hdd is
> healthy and can show property of the partition.
> -if i use windows backup, i can see that it is accessing the files in
> the partition
>
> anyone can give me idea how to restore partition . i don't want to use
> data recovery software. thanks

First off...did you run chkdsk /f

XP and Vista do not have scandisk

just because you can access the 2nd partition
does not mean the drive is good...
it may be defective

you'd need to run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility to know for sure

If chkdsk /f does not do the job...then you will need to use 3rd party
recovery software...but there is plenty of freeware out there to try

the1 is on a distinguished road
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: Can't access primary drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by philo View Post
the1 wrote:
> My laptop hdd failed. Last time that happened, i connected the hdd to my
> other computer, ran scandisk and started working. this time, i ran
> scandisk but i still can't access my hdd.
> here is the scenario-
> -my secondary partition can be accessed, so hdd is not bad.
> -on computer management's disk management, i can see that hdd is
> healthy and can show property of the partition.
> -if i use windows backup, i can see that it is accessing the files in
> the partition
>
> anyone can give me idea how to restore partition . i don't want to use
> data recovery software. thanks

First off...did you run chkdsk /f

XP and Vista do not have scandisk

just because you can access the 2nd partition
does not mean the drive is good...
it may be defective

you'd need to run the manufacturer's diagnostic utility to know for sure

If chkdsk /f does not do the job...then you will need to use 3rd party
recovery software...but there is plenty of freeware out there to try
my bad, i meant to say chkdsk
i did chkdsk/f from disk management twice and it passed , cmd can't access the drive
i am pretty sure it's not defective as i could see the files on backup utility as well as a cloning software i tried
how do i run manufacturer's diag utility?
thanks
Richard Urban

Re: Can't access primary drive
You go to the drive manufacturers web site, read about how to use their
diagnostic utility. Then you download it and do as you read.

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP