vista sound driver problem

russ_will

vista sound driver problem
every time i shut down vista the sound drivers are changed , i then reinstall
the latest realtech drivers but when i shut down my system they revert to
ones that do not work . any way to stop vista changing the drivers ?
russ_will

RE: vista sound driver problem
the sound device is onboard my motherboard , the board is the asus a8v-vm se
.. it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace , please help as it
is driving my crazy

"russ_will" wrote:

> every time i shut down vista the sound drivers are changed , i then reinstall
> the latest realtech drivers but when i shut down my system they revert to
> ones that do not work . any way to stop vista changing the drivers ?

dean-dean

Re: vista sound driver problem
Specifically, what is the sound device's name in Device Manager, under
Sound, video and game controllers (when the driver from Realtek is
installed)? Are there files from Realtek in C:\Program
Files\Realtek\InstallShield?

"russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> the sound device is onboard my motherboard , the board is the asus a8v-vm
> se
> . it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace , please help as
> it
> is driving my crazy
>
> "russ_will" wrote:
>
>> every time i shut down vista the sound drivers are changed , i then
>> reinstall
>> the latest realtech drivers but when i shut down my system they revert to
>> ones that do not work . any way to stop vista changing the drivers ?

russ_will

Re: vista sound driver problem
it says in device manager = realtec high definition audio , i am using the
drivers fron the realtech website (version 1.66) . audion chip is the
realtech alc660 6-channel codec , it installs well but changes to just high
def audion for some reason if shutdown for longer than a few min

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Specifically, what is the sound device's name in Device Manager, under
> Sound, video and game controllers (when the driver from Realtek is
> installed)? Are there files from Realtek in C:\Program
> Files\Realtek\InstallShield?
>

> "russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > the sound device is onboard my motherboard , the board is the asus a8v-vm
> > se
> > . it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace , please help as
> > it
> > is driving my crazy
> >
> > "russ_will" wrote:
> >
> >> every time i shut down vista the sound drivers are changed , i then
> >> reinstall
> >> the latest realtech drivers but when i shut down my system they revert to
> >> ones that do not work . any way to stop vista changing the drivers ?

dean-dean

Re: vista sound driver problem
Try this (you should have files in C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield,
from the Realtek installation):

First, allow Vista to change your audio driver to the generic High
Definition driver (the one that doesn't work). On your keyboard, press the
Windows key + R. In the Run box, type

msconfig

On the Startup tab of System Configuration, if there are any files from
Realtek Semiconductor, remove the checkmark for those, such as RtHDVCpl.exe
(there may be others). (Apply, OK) and restart. (Tell System Configuration
not to show you it's message or run again when you see that prompt after
re-booting). Note: the appropriate startup item(s) will be re-entered
automatically when the new driver from Realtek is installed.

Then, in Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition driver,
under "Sound, video and game controllers", and, on the Driver tab, choose
Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer for driver software." Under
"Search for driver software in this location", Browse to C:\Program
Files\Realtek\InstallShield. Click OK once you've found that folder, then
click Next...

> it says in device manager = realtec high definition audio , i am using the
> drivers fron the realtech website (version 1.66) . audion chip is the
> realtech alc660 6-channel codec , it installs well but changes to just
> high
> def audion for some reason if shutdown for longer than a few min
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Specifically, what is the sound device's name in Device Manager, under
>> Sound, video and game controllers (when the driver from Realtek is
>> installed)? Are there files from Realtek in C:\Program
>> Files\Realtek\InstallShield?
>>

>> "russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > the sound device is onboard my motherboard , the board is the asus
>> > a8v-vm
>> > se
>> > . it uses a realtech driver which keeps getting replace , please help
>> > as
>> > it
>> > is driving my crazy

russ_will

Re: vista sound driver problem
tried it , not sure why but it did not work . wish i got xp now as vista
is to buggy for my liking

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Try this (you should have files in C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield,
> from the Realtek installation):
>
> First, allow Vista to change your audio driver to the generic High
> Definition driver (the one that doesn't work). On your keyboard, press the
> Windows key + R. In the Run box, type
>
> msconfig
>
> On the Startup tab of System Configuration, if there are any files from
> Realtek Semiconductor, remove the checkmark for those, such as RtHDVCpl.exe
> (there may be others). (Apply, OK) and restart. (Tell System Configuration
> not to show you it's message or run again when you see that prompt after
> re-booting). Note: the appropriate startup item(s) will be re-entered
> automatically when the new driver from Realtek is installed.
>
> Then, in Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition driver,
> under "Sound, video and game controllers", and, on the Driver tab, choose
> Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer for driver software." Under
> "Search for driver software in this location", Browse to C:\Program
> Files\Realtek\InstallShield. Click OK once you've found that folder, then
> click Next...
>
> "russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > it says in device manager = realtec high definition audio , i am using the
> > drivers fron the realtech website (version 1.66) . audion chip is the
> > realtech alc660 6-channel codec , it installs well but changes to just
> > high
> > def audion for some reason if shutdown for longer than a few min
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Specifically, what is the sound device's name in Device Manager, under
> >> Sound, video and game controllers (when the driver from Realtek is
> >> installed)? Are there files from Realtek in C:\Program
> >> Files\Realtek\InstallShield?

dean-dean

Re: vista sound driver problem
Sorry to hear that it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is to try
the setup file from Realtek again. Right-click on the .exe file that
starts the installation, and choose Properties. If it is blocked on the
General tab, click on the Unblock button (Apply, OK). Then right-click on
the file again, and choose Run as Administrator.

> tried it , not sure why but it did not work . wish i got xp now as
> vista
> is to buggy for my liking
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Try this (you should have files in C:\Program
>> Files\Realtek\InstallShield,
>> from the Realtek installation):
>>
>> First, allow Vista to change your audio driver to the generic High
>> Definition driver (the one that doesn't work). On your keyboard, press
>> the
>> Windows key + R. In the Run box, type
>>
>> msconfig
>>
>> On the Startup tab of System Configuration, if there are any files from
>> Realtek Semiconductor, remove the checkmark for those, such as
>> RtHDVCpl.exe
>> (there may be others). (Apply, OK) and restart. (Tell System
>> Configuration
>> not to show you it's message or run again when you see that prompt after
>> re-booting). Note: the appropriate startup item(s) will be re-entered
>> automatically when the new driver from Realtek is installed.
>>
>> Then, in Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition driver,
>> under "Sound, video and game controllers", and, on the Driver tab, choose
>> Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer for driver software."
>> Under
>> "Search for driver software in this location", Browse to C:\Program
>> Files\Realtek\InstallShield. Click OK once you've found that folder,
>> then
>> click Next...
>>
>> "russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > it says in device manager = realtec high definition audio , i am using
>> > the
>> > drivers fron the realtech website (version 1.66) . audion chip is the
>> > realtech alc660 6-channel codec , it installs well but changes to just
>> > high
>> > def audion for some reason if shutdown for longer than a few min

russ_will

Re: vista sound driver problem
i have been building my own pc's since 98 , i have never had a problem like
this before . i have tried everything i can think of but nothing works ,
wish i had kept my old system with xp on

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Sorry to hear that it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is to try
> the setup file from Realtek again. Right-click on the .exe file that
> starts the installation, and choose Properties. If it is blocked on the
> General tab, click on the Unblock button (Apply, OK). Then right-click on
> the file again, and choose Run as Administrator.
>
> "russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > tried it , not sure why but it did not work . wish i got xp now as
> > vista
> > is to buggy for my liking
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> Try this (you should have files in C:\Program
> >> Files\Realtek\InstallShield,
> >> from the Realtek installation):
> >>
> >> First, allow Vista to change your audio driver to the generic High
> >> Definition driver (the one that doesn't work). On your keyboard, press
> >> the
> >> Windows key + R. In the Run box, type
> >>
> >> msconfig
> >>
> >> On the Startup tab of System Configuration, if there are any files from
> >> Realtek Semiconductor, remove the checkmark for those, such as
> >> RtHDVCpl.exe
> >> (there may be others). (Apply, OK) and restart. (Tell System
> >> Configuration
> >> not to show you it's message or run again when you see that prompt after
> >> re-booting). Note: the appropriate startup item(s) will be re-entered
> >> automatically when the new driver from Realtek is installed.
> >>
> >> Then, in Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition driver,
> >> under "Sound, video and game controllers", and, on the Driver tab, choose
> >> Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer for driver software."
> >> Under
> >> "Search for driver software in this location", Browse to C:\Program
> >> Files\Realtek\InstallShield. Click OK once you've found that folder,
> >> then
> >> click Next...

dean-dean

Re: vista sound driver problem
This is a puzzle. I have the same built-in soundcard that you have, and
have not had this problem. Realtek has two different downloads for Vista's
driver (one, an .exe installation file, the other a .zip). Have you tried
both? Both should be "unblocked". The .zip file installation, once the
files are extracted, uses Setup.exe, I believe, to begin the installation.
Either .exe file should be Run as Administrator. Or you could try turning
UAC off, if it isn't already (and turn it back on after the installation).

Another work-around:

In Device Manager, double-click the generic High Definition driver, and, on
the Driver tab, choose Update Driver. Then choose "Browse my computer for
driver software." This time, instead of "Search for driver software in this
location", try "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer."
Then choose Have Disk. Browse to C:\Program Files\Realtek\InstallShield...

>i have been building my own pc's since 98 , i have never had a problem like
> this before . i have tried everything i can think of but nothing works ,
> wish i had kept my old system with xp on
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Sorry to hear that it didn't work. The only thing I can think of is to
>> try
>> the setup file from Realtek again. Right-click on the .exe file that
>> starts the installation, and choose Properties. If it is blocked on the
>> General tab, click on the Unblock button (Apply, OK). Then right-click
>> on
>> the file again, and choose Run as Administrator.
>>
>> "russ_will" <russwill@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > tried it , not sure why but it did not work . wish i got xp now as
>> > vista
>> > is to buggy for my liking

russ_will

Re: vista sound driver problem
i must be tired and sorry for sounding dumb , whats UAC mean ?