Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Vista Fried the Hardware

microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
KayRab
 

Posts: n/a
Vista Fried the Hardware

Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card. I am a student of Engineering
Science with an Electrical and Computer focus. I know my hardware. If anyone
wants the technical report on how I came to this conclusion, feel free to
request it as a reply to this post.

My suggestion to Microsoft is to come up with a customer satisfaction plan
now. A Google search of, "Vista broke fried video card." shows that this is a
fairly new, (other than the early days of longhorn) and quickly developing
issue. If I were a large corporation and not a home user, I would assume law
suits would be expectable, although someone is always trying to sue
Microsoft. Well, at a minimum, this can be taken as a heads up. Not a heads
up that I'm going to sue. I don't care enough, and I don't like the whole sue
over everything attitude. I'm saying the next guy might be waiting for an
excuse to call Uncle Bob the family Lawyer, and this could be a good one.
Yet, I am digressing.

My specialty is electronics, not business, so this might not be the most
cost effective route, and this isn't an expert opinion. Personally, I would
recommend getting a second contract with the outsourced manufacturer of the
Xbox video card, NVIDIA, and give "complementary" GeForce 8800 Ultra sets to
end users who can be validated to have graphics card hardware failure related
to the installation of Vista. Compared to the cost of dealing with Joe
American Businesses’ theoretical law suit, I don't know what the difference
would be, or the cost to MS for time spent on customer service and technical
support. It might be worth looking into and developing a statistical data
sheet.

Additionally, a complementary upgrade would greatly increase user
satisfaction because a frustrating, unexpected, and newly detected issue
would have the end result of leaving the customer with better performance
than they had before. It would reinforce the sense of trust and loyalty in
the Microsoft brand name, in addition to word of mouth advertising in a
positive light. "Vista stinks. It fried my video card. Don't install it
because it can break your computer's hardware" compared to "When I first
installed Vista it fried my graphics card, so they sent me a new one, top of
the line! Now my experience index is 4.7, you should come over and check it
out!" Cost of "complementary" graphics cards compared to advertising costs
can be another factor of the data sheets.

Although this tactic could be seen as Windows admiting to Vista's failure,
my experience has showed me that the majority respects when people own up to
their mistakes and take pro-active steps to correct the error. For example,
the public was much more upset that former President Clinton had lied under
oath and the act to cover it up than they were about the deed itself. For
Microsoft, to deny responsibility that Vista can cause certain hardware to
become corrupt, well I'm only a student, and I figured it out, it's only a
matter of time before a much more creditable source provides evidence, so
this is an issue that will need to be addressed sooner or later. Deny it, and
be proven wrong, and loose more public trust; create a plan to address it
when it comes up and divert the attention of Vista's weak point to "Cool, I
scored a free upgrade for having a dumpy computer!"

The DRM and other license procedures sometimes make me feel like I have paid
to borrow something under supervision, and that my electronics are not "mine"
as they would be if it were a book or painting. Now hardware issues resulting
from no fault of my own, yet I have to pay for, makes me feel even more like
I have no control over my equipment, which is a feeling I would assume no
business wants to create in their customers.

With the money it cost for the software, additional licenses, RAM upgrade,
and now I need to buy a "gaming" graphics card, I am feeling a bit like I'm
the milked cash cow. I know for myself, if Microsoft stepped up and had my
computer running better than I could afford to spend, and at an improved
state than under XP, I would think, "Microsoft is a legitimate business that
appreciates me as a customer. They appreciate the home user that has the
adventurousness to switch an entire OS to a unfamiliar an mostly unknown
environment. They are not the evil M$ empire they are sometimes portrayed to
be. It was worth the time and money I put into this upgrade."

As of right now, my opinion stands parallel to the registry of motor
vehicles. Windows, like owning and operating a car, is an expensive and
tedious chore of setup and maintenance, but necessary for trouble free
operation enabling interface with today’s business world. It is up to me to
make sure that everything is done to standard. If the RMV makes a mistake,
it's up to me to catch it, else either I pay the fine, or loose productivity
challenging it in court. Likewise, if Windows development makes a mistake, it
up to me to catch it, else just all around loose productivity and also pay
for repairs. It's something I just have to put up with, no matter how much I
might dislike it. What options to I have? Don't drive my car, or drive
illegally. Don't drive on the internet, or drive on Xinux, with minimal plug
and play and resource hog, or OSX, which I know absolutely NOTHING about. I
wrote my first program in QBASIC when I was 8, and used DOS growing up; over
the course of my childhood I read the DOS book cover to cover. My childhood
friend’s father developed Lotus 123, which is essentially the same as excel
and access. I couldn't ever hope to have as thorough of an understanding of
OSX that I do of DOS, and the GUI of Windows. I have the driving school
graduation certificate for Win32. For me to use OSX is analogous to driving a
motorcycle instead of a car without the Class M license or operator training.

At this point, either the idea is adopted or not. I more than made my point.
For the most part, I guess this is part end user feedback and part rant. I
apologize if I didn't post it in the appropriate place. I hope somewhere it
was useful to someone.

A second suggestion- please add spell check to the forums. Copy/paste into
word or using Firefox is just an extra pain.


----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Richard Urban
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
You say that Vista fried your video card, yet you give no backup evidence.
Software does not mechanically kill hardware. Software can "logically"
corrupt hardware but the drive is still physically intact.

If the card is designed correctly and has proper cooling, is fed with a
sufficient voltage/current path - I find that highly unlikely.

The card was just defective to begin with. It happens.

--


Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
(For email, remove the obvious from my address)

Quote from George Ankner:
If you knew as much as you think you know,
You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!



"KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6687FBE7-7C7D-4280-9C14-B653F35DB387@microsoft.com...
>
> Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card.


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Kerry Brown
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
I agree with Richard. Show us your proof. I've been repairing electronics
and computers for 25 years. I've yet to see software damage hardware unless
the hardware had a flaw to start with. With video cards it is certainly
possible to damage a monitor and possibly the video card by setting the
wrong refresh rate and possibly resolution. This is possible in other OS' as
well as Windows. It's a design flaw of some video card/monitor combinations.

--
Kerry Brown
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
http://www.vistahelp.ca


"Richard Urban" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%23GNEs7njHHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> You say that Vista fried your video card, yet you give no backup evidence.
> Software does not mechanically kill hardware. Software can "logically"
> corrupt hardware but the drive is still physically intact.
>
> If the card is designed correctly and has proper cooling, is fed with a
> sufficient voltage/current path - I find that highly unlikely.
>
> The card was just defective to begin with. It happens.
>
> --
>
>
> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
> (For email, remove the obvious from my address)
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
> If you knew as much as you think you know,
> You would realize that you don't know what you thought you knew!
>
>
>
> "KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6687FBE7-7C7D-4280-9C14-B653F35DB387@microsoft.com...
>>
>> Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card.

>


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Conor
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
In article <6687FBE7-7C7D-4280-9C14-B653F35DB387@microsoft.com>, KayRab
says...
>
> Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card.


BWAHAHAHA.

> I am a student of Engineering
> Science with an Electrical and Computer focus.


You should ask for your money back.

> I know my hardware. If anyone
> wants the technical report on how I came to this conclusion, feel free to
> request it as a reply to this post.
>

Yeah go on...could do with a laugh.


>
> My specialty is electronics, not business,



No, it's neither.

--
Conor

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Conor
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
In article <eFgakNojHHA.568@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl>, Kerry Brown says...
> I agree with Richard. Show us your proof. I've been repairing electronics
> and computers for 25 years.


But he's a student...your 25 years experience means sod all




--
Conor

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright
until you hear them speak.........
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Rock
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
"KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote>
> Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card.


<snip>

Yeah right.

If you want to file a bug report or make a suggestion to MS here is how.
Posting in this newsgroup isn't going to do it.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/contactbug

mswish@microsoft.com

--
Rock [MS-MVP User/Shell]

Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 05-04-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
"If anyone wants the technical report on how I came to this
conclusion, feel free..."
It seems you have been asked a few times.
Go ahead and post your data, or if extensive, give us a link where
this information is available.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6687FBE7-7C7D-4280-9C14-B653F35DB387@microsoft.com...
>
> Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card. I am a student of
> Engineering
> Science with an Electrical and Computer focus. I know my hardware.
> If anyone
> wants the technical report on how I came to this conclusion, feel
> free to
> request it as a reply to this post.
>
> My suggestion to Microsoft is to come up with a customer
> satisfaction plan
> now. A Google search of, "Vista broke fried video card." shows that
> this is a
> fairly new, (other than the early days of longhorn) and quickly
> developing
> issue. If I were a large corporation and not a home user, I would
> assume law
> suits would be expectable, although someone is always trying to sue
> Microsoft. Well, at a minimum, this can be taken as a heads up. Not
> a heads
> up that I'm going to sue. I don't care enough, and I don't like the
> whole sue
> over everything attitude. I'm saying the next guy might be waiting
> for an
> excuse to call Uncle Bob the family Lawyer, and this could be a good
> one.
> Yet, I am digressing.
>
> My specialty is electronics, not business, so this might not be the
> most
> cost effective route, and this isn't an expert opinion. Personally,
> I would
> recommend getting a second contract with the outsourced manufacturer
> of the
> Xbox video card, NVIDIA, and give "complementary" GeForce 8800 Ultra
> sets to
> end users who can be validated to have graphics card hardware
> failure related
> to the installation of Vista. Compared to the cost of dealing with
> Joe
> American Businesses’ theoretical law suit, I don't know what the
> difference
> would be, or the cost to MS for time spent on customer service and
> technical
> support. It might be worth looking into and developing a statistical
> data
> sheet.
>
> Additionally, a complementary upgrade would greatly increase user
> satisfaction because a frustrating, unexpected, and newly detected
> issue
> would have the end result of leaving the customer with better
> performance
> than they had before. It would reinforce the sense of trust and
> loyalty in
> the Microsoft brand name, in addition to word of mouth advertising
> in a
> positive light. "Vista stinks. It fried my video card. Don't install
> it
> because it can break your computer's hardware" compared to "When I
> first
> installed Vista it fried my graphics card, so they sent me a new
> one, top of
> the line! Now my experience index is 4.7, you should come over and
> check it
> out!" Cost of "complementary" graphics cards compared to advertising
> costs
> can be another factor of the data sheets.
>
> Although this tactic could be seen as Windows admiting to Vista's
> failure,
> my experience has showed me that the majority respects when people
> own up to
> their mistakes and take pro-active steps to correct the error. For
> example,
> the public was much more upset that former President Clinton had
> lied under
> oath and the act to cover it up than they were about the deed
> itself. For
> Microsoft, to deny responsibility that Vista can cause certain
> hardware to
> become corrupt, well I'm only a student, and I figured it out, it's
> only a
> matter of time before a much more creditable source provides
> evidence, so
> this is an issue that will need to be addressed sooner or later.
> Deny it, and
> be proven wrong, and loose more public trust; create a plan to
> address it
> when it comes up and divert the attention of Vista's weak point to
> "Cool, I
> scored a free upgrade for having a dumpy computer!"
>
> The DRM and other license procedures sometimes make me feel like I
> have paid
> to borrow something under supervision, and that my electronics are
> not "mine"
> as they would be if it were a book or painting. Now hardware issues
> resulting
> from no fault of my own, yet I have to pay for, makes me feel even
> more like
> I have no control over my equipment, which is a feeling I would
> assume no
> business wants to create in their customers.
>
> With the money it cost for the software, additional licenses, RAM
> upgrade,
> and now I need to buy a "gaming" graphics card, I am feeling a bit
> like I'm
> the milked cash cow. I know for myself, if Microsoft stepped up and
> had my
> computer running better than I could afford to spend, and at an
> improved
> state than under XP, I would think, "Microsoft is a legitimate
> business that
> appreciates me as a customer. They appreciate the home user that has
> the
> adventurousness to switch an entire OS to a unfamiliar an mostly
> unknown
> environment. They are not the evil M$ empire they are sometimes
> portrayed to
> be. It was worth the time and money I put into this upgrade."
>
> As of right now, my opinion stands parallel to the registry of motor
> vehicles. Windows, like owning and operating a car, is an expensive
> and
> tedious chore of setup and maintenance, but necessary for trouble
> free
> operation enabling interface with today’s business world. It is up
> to me to
> make sure that everything is done to standard. If the RMV makes a
> mistake,
> it's up to me to catch it, else either I pay the fine, or loose
> productivity
> challenging it in court. Likewise, if Windows development makes a
> mistake, it
> up to me to catch it, else just all around loose productivity and
> also pay
> for repairs. It's something I just have to put up with, no matter
> how much I
> might dislike it. What options to I have? Don't drive my car, or
> drive
> illegally. Don't drive on the internet, or drive on Xinux, with
> minimal plug
> and play and resource hog, or OSX, which I know absolutely NOTHING
> about. I
> wrote my first program in QBASIC when I was 8, and used DOS growing
> up; over
> the course of my childhood I read the DOS book cover to cover. My
> childhood
> friend’s father developed Lotus 123, which is essentially the same
> as excel
> and access. I couldn't ever hope to have as thorough of an
> understanding of
> OSX that I do of DOS, and the GUI of Windows. I have the driving
> school
> graduation certificate for Win32. For me to use OSX is analogous to
> driving a
> motorcycle instead of a car without the Class M license or operator
> training.
>
> At this point, either the idea is adopted or not. I more than made
> my point.
> For the most part, I guess this is part end user feedback and part
> rant. I
> apologize if I didn't post it in the appropriate place. I hope
> somewhere it
> was useful to someone.
>
> A second suggestion- please add spell check to the forums.
> Copy/paste into
> word or using Firefox is just an extra pain.
>
>
> ----------------
> This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
> the
> suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
> the "I
> Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
> follow this
> link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
> and then
> click "I Agree" in the message pane.
>
> http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices


Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2007
KayRab
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
Okay, "fried" is not the right term. "Corrupted" - satisfied semantics buffs?
Obviously, I am not going to get anywhere with this. I was giving a
suggestion, because I had problems, and I had seen others had experienced the
same thing. I definately did not expect the unprofessionalisim of being
attacked for valididty. I would say the quickest way for the data would be
through customer support ticket #1034393627

The bottom line is that I spent over $500 upgrading my network to Vista, and
my options are to spend more on a new graphics card, or reformat and go back
to XP. Either way I didn't get what I paid for. There were no warnings with
the update advisor, and by default Vista configured the Graphics controller
at too high of a rate for the hardware. I am extremely dissapointed and
frustrated with this. Some of the responces so far just add to the
dissapointment. What a shame that I came with only an idea I came up with off
the top of my head to be riddiculed by professionals that claim affiliation
to a company that prides innovation.

With this type of support the outside forums predicting Vista to become the
next Windows ME flop are probably right.





"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> "If anyone wants the technical report on how I came to this
> conclusion, feel free..."
> It seems you have been asked a few times.
> Go ahead and post your data, or if extensive, give us a link where
> this information is available.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:6687FBE7-7C7D-4280-9C14-B653F35DB387@microsoft.com...
> >
> > Yes, Vista DEFINATELY fried out my video card. I am a student of
> > Engineering
> > Science with an Electrical and Computer focus. I know my hardware.
> > If anyone
> > wants the technical report on how I came to this conclusion, feel
> > free to
> > request it as a reply to this post.
> >
> > My suggestion to Microsoft is to come up with a customer
> > satisfaction plan
> > now. A Google search of, "Vista broke fried video card." shows that
> > this is a
> > fairly new, (other than the early days of longhorn) and quickly
> > developing
> > issue. If I were a large corporation and not a home user, I would
> > assume law
> > suits would be expectable, although someone is always trying to sue
> > Microsoft. Well, at a minimum, this can be taken as a heads up. Not
> > a heads
> > up that I'm going to sue. I don't care enough, and I don't like the
> > whole sue
> > over everything attitude. I'm saying the next guy might be waiting
> > for an
> > excuse to call Uncle Bob the family Lawyer, and this could be a good
> > one.
> > Yet, I am digressing.
> >
> > My specialty is electronics, not business, so this might not be the
> > most
> > cost effective route, and this isn't an expert opinion. Personally,
> > I would
> > recommend getting a second contract with the outsourced manufacturer
> > of the
> > Xbox video card, NVIDIA, and give "complementary" GeForce 8800 Ultra
> > sets to
> > end users who can be validated to have graphics card hardware
> > failure related
> > to the installation of Vista. Compared to the cost of dealing with
> > Joe
> > American Businesses’ theoretical law suit, I don't know what the
> > difference
> > would be, or the cost to MS for time spent on customer service and
> > technical
> > support. It might be worth looking into and developing a statistical
> > data
> > sheet.
> >
> > Additionally, a complementary upgrade would greatly increase user
> > satisfaction because a frustrating, unexpected, and newly detected
> > issue
> > would have the end result of leaving the customer with better
> > performance
> > than they had before. It would reinforce the sense of trust and
> > loyalty in
> > the Microsoft brand name, in addition to word of mouth advertising
> > in a
> > positive light. "Vista stinks. It fried my video card. Don't install
> > it
> > because it can break your computer's hardware" compared to "When I
> > first
> > installed Vista it fried my graphics card, so they sent me a new
> > one, top of
> > the line! Now my experience index is 4.7, you should come over and
> > check it
> > out!" Cost of "complementary" graphics cards compared to advertising
> > costs
> > can be another factor of the data sheets.
> >
> > Although this tactic could be seen as Windows admiting to Vista's
> > failure,
> > my experience has showed me that the majority respects when people
> > own up to
> > their mistakes and take pro-active steps to correct the error. For
> > example,
> > the public was much more upset that former President Clinton had
> > lied under
> > oath and the act to cover it up than they were about the deed
> > itself. For
> > Microsoft, to deny responsibility that Vista can cause certain
> > hardware to
> > become corrupt, well I'm only a student, and I figured it out, it's
> > only a
> > matter of time before a much more creditable source provides
> > evidence, so
> > this is an issue that will need to be addressed sooner or later.
> > Deny it, and
> > be proven wrong, and loose more public trust; create a plan to
> > address it
> > when it comes up and divert the attention of Vista's weak point to
> > "Cool, I
> > scored a free upgrade for having a dumpy computer!"
> >
> > The DRM and other license procedures sometimes make me feel like I
> > have paid
> > to borrow something under supervision, and that my electronics are
> > not "mine"
> > as they would be if it were a book or painting. Now hardware issues
> > resulting
> > from no fault of my own, yet I have to pay for, makes me feel even
> > more like
> > I have no control over my equipment, which is a feeling I would
> > assume no
> > business wants to create in their customers.
> >
> > With the money it cost for the software, additional licenses, RAM
> > upgrade,
> > and now I need to buy a "gaming" graphics card, I am feeling a bit
> > like I'm
> > the milked cash cow. I know for myself, if Microsoft stepped up and
> > had my
> > computer running better than I could afford to spend, and at an
> > improved
> > state than under XP, I would think, "Microsoft is a legitimate
> > business that
> > appreciates me as a customer. They appreciate the home user that has
> > the
> > adventurousness to switch an entire OS to a unfamiliar an mostly
> > unknown
> > environment. They are not the evil M$ empire they are sometimes
> > portrayed to
> > be. It was worth the time and money I put into this upgrade."
> >
> > As of right now, my opinion stands parallel to the registry of motor
> > vehicles. Windows, like owning and operating a car, is an expensive
> > and
> > tedious chore of setup and maintenance, but necessary for trouble
> > free
> > operation enabling interface with today’s business world. It is up
> > to me to
> > make sure that everything is done to standard. If the RMV makes a
> > mistake,
> > it's up to me to catch it, else either I pay the fine, or loose
> > productivity
> > challenging it in court. Likewise, if Windows development makes a
> > mistake, it
> > up to me to catch it, else just all around loose productivity and
> > also pay
> > for repairs. It's something I just have to put up with, no matter
> > how much I
> > might dislike it. What options to I have? Don't drive my car, or
> > drive
> > illegally. Don't drive on the internet, or drive on Xinux, with
> > minimal plug
> > and play and resource hog, or OSX, which I know absolutely NOTHING
> > about. I
> > wrote my first program in QBASIC when I was 8, and used DOS growing
> > up; over
> > the course of my childhood I read the DOS book cover to cover. My
> > childhood
> > friend’s father developed Lotus 123, which is essentially the same
> > as excel
> > and access. I couldn't ever hope to have as thorough of an
> > understanding of
> > OSX that I do of DOS, and the GUI of Windows. I have the driving
> > school
> > graduation certificate for Win32. For me to use OSX is analogous to
> > driving a
> > motorcycle instead of a car without the Class M license or operator
> > training.
> >
> > At this point, either the idea is adopted or not. I more than made
> > my point.
> > For the most part, I guess this is part end user feedback and part
> > rant. I
> > apologize if I didn't post it in the appropriate place. I hope
> > somewhere it
> > was useful to someone.
> >
> > A second suggestion- please add spell check to the forums.
> > Copy/paste into
> > word or using Firefox is just an extra pain.
> >
> >
> > ----------------
> > This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to
> > the
> > suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click
> > the "I
> > Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,
> > follow this
> > link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader
> > and then
> > click "I Agree" in the message pane.
> >
> > http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/com... dware_devices

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2007
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware
"satisfied semantics buffs"
The semantics is very significant as an engineer knows.
Your first post suggested something was physically wrong with the
video card after Vista "Vista Fried the Hardware"
In reality it seems the drivers are corrupted.
The difference between the two goes beyond semantics since the issue
are totally different.

You left your claim open to question since hardware being fried by
software is almost unheard of and needs something to substantiate the
claim, information you had stated is available in a "technical report
".

The bottom line is corrupted drivers is an easy fix while a fried card
requires replacement since the fried card would be garbage.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org


"KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:64A344BC-86C0-427E-8130-998077FD5400@microsoft.com...
> Okay, "fried" is not the right term. "Corrupted" - satisfied
> semantics buffs?
> Obviously, I am not going to get anywhere with this. I was giving a
> suggestion, because I had problems, and I had seen others had
> experienced the
> same thing. I definately did not expect the unprofessionalisim of
> being
> attacked for valididty. I would say the quickest way for the data
> would be
> through customer support ticket #1034393627
>
> The bottom line is that I spent over $500 upgrading my network to
> Vista, and
> my options are to spend more on a new graphics card, or reformat and
> go back
> to XP. Either way I didn't get what I paid for. There were no
> warnings with
> the update advisor, and by default Vista configured the Graphics
> controller
> at too high of a rate for the hardware. I am extremely dissapointed
> and
> frustrated with this. Some of the responces so far just add to the
> dissapointment. What a shame that I came with only an idea I came up
> with off
> the top of my head to be riddiculed by professionals that claim
> affiliation
> to a company that prides innovation.
>
> With this type of support the outside forums predicting Vista to
> become the
> next Windows ME flop are probably right.
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> "If anyone wants the technical report on how I came to this
>> conclusion, feel free..."
>> It seems you have been asked a few times.
>> Go ahead and post your data, or if extensive, give us a link where
>> this information is available.
>>
>> --
>> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
>> http://www.dts-l.org


Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 05-05-2007
KayRab
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Vista Fried the Hardware

Yes, you are right semantics can be critical. Now this is the complication-

I have already been through the whole customer service process. I had
desktop sharing with another research engineering tech from MS, and in the
end result my issue was never resolved. I was informed that the graphics card
itself is definately corrupted, (does that make sense?) and that I need to
replace it soon or eventually it could possibly stop working altogether. The
whole situation didn't sound like anything other than a physical error,
caused by a current somewhere where it shouldn't have been, blown cap, diode,
tranny, whichever. Makes sense, I've had that happen enough times, why not?
Dx Diag said DX10, while the card manufacturer said it can run up to 9. Ok,
so I don't know much about the DX programs, but I know some IC's with the
wrong signal in/out to can pop some components, I'll buy it, never heard of
it happening either, not even the worst viruses known can blow hardware, but
this is a new OS, and he's the tech, he deals with this all day every day. I
was told that it's possible that if I go back to XP the problem might
subside, but it would still be a good idea to get a new card anyways. This
makes it sound more like a driver corruption issue. When I requested
clarification, I was told "It's corrupted, you're going to have to contact
the manufacturer for replacement." Now if it's a corrupted driver, I don't
understand why would I have to physically replace anything? These weren't
issues under XP, the install, and the following driver search process, and
even when the support case was opened. (it orginally was because my WGA key
wouldn't take because the Product ID for some reason said OEM, which it
definately was not.) I asked most of the following personel why this would
happen, and I was told that certain hardware is incompatable and becomes
damaged when attempted to be run under vista. I clearly asked, "Did Vista do
it?" to which was responded, "I think you are right. It's a reasonable
probablility." So it's not a corrupted driver or why would I need to replace
the M'board (it's an intergrated chip set.) It's a "fried" card although the
term used was corrupted. If it were an exsisting defect from the maker of the
card, maybe whichever pin the problem was on wasn't used on XP? The tech
report I sent to the service rep is on the desktop of the bad computer which
I'm not on right now, but I see your point. I'll get it on here early next
week.


Right now, I don't care anymore. It was fine, I upgraded to Vista, and I
need to buy a new graphics card, out of pocket, the manf. warranty is void
even though the system is maybe 5 months old. It's had one problem after
another since I installed it.

So fried fits the activity. Corrupted fits the words used, and logic. All I
really care about is that it's not working. I think I've paid enough money
already and still have no results. As I said, I grew up with MS, so I have
some sort of twisted loyalty to it. I don't know what goes on inside
Microsoft. I know a few other people that if they were in the same position
would make the biggest dramatic scene they possibly could. I was trying to
help out by saying that it would shut me up, make me feel better, and most of
them as well. The way it sounded to me was the graphics card I had was never
tested with Vista, and that Vista uses it differently than XP and used a
different program to determine the channels, it was just the wrong stuff to
send to this chip, ground the enable, whatever. I thought, you know, that
would kind of be a big deal if I had more at stake, it probably should be
looked into, or at least listed somewhere as incompatable. If it's too late,
come up with a coping plan. This plan would work for me, probably would for
others.

I was intending to be helpful, not turned into the way to get on the
better-than-you box because using cute little ways to belittle and trash what
I said and miss the whole point all together. The funniest thing is that it
was MS, not me, who have made the final determination. I was offered a refund
if I choose to go back to XP, but I don't want to go to XP, I've already
reinstalled all my old programs and cofigured Vista. I really don't have the
time to do it all over again. That's not an answer. I asked why they
couldn't just send a graphics card, and they said because Microsoft doesn't
make graphics cards, so there isn't one to send. Well, duh, I guess that was
a dumb question. So if MS is willing to lose the $220 as a refund, I would
rather keep vista and use half that cost on a better card. You know, I'm
done. Why am I even sitting here still attempting to rationally explain
myself in a serious way to people that obviously just aren't interested. What
a waste of time! Just an example of why good guys finish last.

"Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:

> "satisfied semantics buffs"
> The semantics is very significant as an engineer knows.
> Your first post suggested something was physically wrong with the
> video card after Vista "Vista Fried the Hardware"
> In reality it seems the drivers are corrupted.
> The difference between the two goes beyond semantics since the issue
> are totally different.
>
> You left your claim open to question since hardware being fried by
> software is almost unheard of and needs something to substantiate the
> claim, information you had stated is available in a "technical report
> ".
>
> The bottom line is corrupted drivers is an easy fix while a fried card
> requires replacement since the fried card would be garbage.
>
> --
> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> http://www.dts-l.org
>
>
> "KayRab" <KayRab@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:64A344BC-86C0-427E-8130-998077FD5400@microsoft.com...
> > Okay, "fried" is not the right term. "Corrupted" - satisfied
> > semantics buffs?
> > Obviously, I am not going to get anywhere with this. I was giving a
> > suggestion, because I had problems, and I had seen others had
> > experienced the
> > same thing. I definately did not expect the unprofessionalisim of
> > being
> > attacked for valididty. I would say the quickest way for the data
> > would be
> > through customer support ticket #1034393627
> >
> > The bottom line is that I spent over $500 upgrading my network to
> > Vista, and
> > my options are to spend more on a new graphics card, or reformat and
> > go back
> > to XP. Either way I didn't get what I paid for. There were no
> > warnings with
> > the update advisor, and by default Vista configured the Graphics
> > controller
> > at too high of a rate for the hardware. I am extremely dissapointed
> > and
> > frustrated with this. Some of the responces so far just add to the
> > dissapointment. What a shame that I came with only an idea I came up
> > with off
> > the top of my head to be riddiculed by professionals that claim
> > affiliation
> > to a company that prides innovation.
> >
> > With this type of support the outside forums predicting Vista to
> > become the
> > next Windows ME flop are probably right.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> "If anyone wants the technical report on how I came to this
> >> conclusion, feel free..."
> >> It seems you have been asked a few times.
> >> Go ahead and post your data, or if extensive, give us a link where
> >> this information is available.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Jupiter Jones [MVP]
> >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
> >> http://www.dts-l.org

>
>

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
vista seems very sensitive to hardware changes tonj microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 12 04-14-2007 23:22
Vista hardware advise John microsoft.public.windows.vista.installation setup 11 03-02-2007 06:56
Changing hardware in Vista =?Utf-8?B?Sm9za2U=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 4 02-23-2007 14:03
Vista fried 4.0 GB Cruzer =?Utf-8?B?SiBNYW4=?= microsoft.public.windows.vista hardware devices 9 02-23-2007 07:54




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:01.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120