wrong ram amount

mingo535

wrong ram amount
Im running vista home premium 64bit and i had 1 gig of ram. I added another
2 gigs adn now my system only shows it having 1535 megs of ram instead of the
3 gigs. The bios screen at system start up also had the weird 1535 megs.
Any help would be great
Cal Bear '66

Re: wrong ram amount
Did you add the same type (DDR, DDR2, etc.) and the same speed?

"mingo535" <mingo535@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im running vista home premium 64bit and i had 1 gig of ram. I added another
> 2 gigs adn now my system only shows it having 1535 megs of ram instead of the
> 3 gigs. The bios screen at system start up also had the weird 1535 megs.
> Any help would be great

Richard G. Harper

Re: wrong ram amount
If both BIOS and Windows report the "wrong" amount of RAM, you probably have
modules that are not compatible with your system, are defective, or are
installed in the wrong combination. Check your motherboard or system manual
for details.

"mingo535" <mingo535@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im running vista home premium 64bit and i had 1 gig of ram. I added
> another
> 2 gigs adn now my system only shows it having 1535 megs of ram instead of
> the
> 3 gigs. The bios screen at system start up also had the weird 1535 megs.
> Any help would be great

Conor

Re: wrong ram amount
In article <AB86DC1C-4534-40E8-939F-B72C8A38E4C6@microsoft.com>,
mingo535 says...
> Im running vista home premium 64bit and i had 1 gig of ram. I added another
> 2 gigs adn now my system only shows it having 1535 megs of ram instead of the
> 3 gigs. The bios screen at system start up also had the weird 1535 megs.
> Any help would be great

You've installed high density RAM that your computer doesn't support.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........
Dustin Harper

Re: wrong ram amount
Something you might try is running MSCONFIG (Start | MSCONFIG | Enter), and
Boot then Advanced options... Check to make sure Maximum Memory isn't
checked.

If it's not, then you might check to see if your BIOS recognizes the memory.
If not, it may be the wrong memory for your laptop.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"mingo535" <mingo535@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Im running vista home premium 64bit and i had 1 gig of ram. I added
> another
> 2 gigs adn now my system only shows it having 1535 megs of ram instead of
> the
> 3 gigs. The bios screen at system start up also had the weird 1535 megs.
> Any help would be great

demiller66

Re: wrong ram amount
I'm having the same exact problem. I had two gigs (2 x 1gb sticks), one in
the A1 slot and one in the B1 slot of Kingston ddr2 800mhz. The computer
indicated 2 gigs. But, when I added 2 more gigs of the same exact memory,
one in the A2 and one in the B2 slot, the computer only read 3.3gb. What
happened to the .7gb. Why am I not getting the proper reading?

"Dustin Harper" wrote:

> Something you might try is running MSCONFIG (Start | MSCONFIG | Enter), and
> Boot then Advanced options... Check to make sure Maximum Memory isn't
> checked.
>
> If it's not, then you might check to see if your BIOS recognizes the memory.
> If not, it may be the wrong memory for your laptop.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dharper@vistarip.com
> http://www.vistarip.com
>
> --
> "mingo535" <mingo535@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Im running vista home premium 64bit and i had 1 gig of ram. I added
> > another
> > 2 gigs adn now my system only shows it having 1535 megs of ram instead of
> > the
> > 3 gigs. The bios screen at system start up also had the weird 1535 megs.
> > Any help would be great

JW

Re: wrong ram amount
See the following KB article it probably applies to your case.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us