CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?

GT

CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?
My CPU Heatsink have a pre-applied thermal grease. Do i have to buy a thermal
grease for my CPU heatsink or can i also apply thermal compound?
if i can then which one is better?
Richard Urban

Re: CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?
Use Aortic Silver 3. Grease is an old technology and will not handle the
increased temps of today's devices. It was fine for transistors and diodes.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My CPU Heatsink have a pre-applied thermal grease. Do i have to buy a
> thermal
> grease for my CPU heatsink or can i also apply thermal compound?
> if i can then which one is better?

Richard Urban

Re: CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?
That should be Arctic Silver 3.
--

> Use Aortic Silver 3. Grease is an old technology and will not handle the
> increased temps of today's devices. It was fine for transistors and
> diodes.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "GT" <GT@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My CPU Heatsink have a pre-applied thermal grease. Do i have to buy a
>> thermal
>> grease for my CPU heatsink or can i also apply thermal compound?
>> if i can then which one is better?

Tom Lake

Re: CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?

> Use Aortic Silver 3.

Yes, it's good for the heart. 8^)

Tom L

Richard Urban

Re: CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?
I was wondering why spell check didn't catch that. (-:

--

"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message

>> Use Aortic Silver 3.

> Yes, it's good for the heart. 8^)
>
> Tom L

Drew

Re: CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?
Get straight to the "heart" of it Richard !!!isn't that where the Aortic is
??? No wait that's the aorta....Close but no cigar......
>I was wondering why spell check didn't catch that. (-:
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> Use Aortic Silver 3.

>> Yes, it's good for the heart. 8^)
>>
>> Tom L

Dustin Harper

Re: CPU Thermal Compound and Thermal Grease. Which is better?
Most of the time, the thermal compound and thermal grease are thrown
together as the same thing (even though they can mean different things).
Although, Arctic Silver is the best you can buy, can't argue with that.
Even with watercooling, a little AS3 works wonders!

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

"Drew" <sheba3169@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Get straight to the "heart" of it Richard !!!isn't that where the Aortic
> is ??? No wait that's the aorta....Close but no cigar......

Ah, but Aortic means, "about or concerning the aorta"

Tom Lake