Problem loading drivers on startup

kadi1591

Problem loading drivers on startup
My PC running Vista Home Premium very often fails to load certain drivers,
namely multimedia drivers (on-board and additional sound card and TV card)
and PCI to PCI bridge controller, upon startup. The drivers are not lost, but
Windows has to search and reinstall them every time. The problem is really
annoying because every time it occurs I have to restart twice in order to
configure my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeMusic) the way I
want. Note that I couldn't fix the problem even after reformatting and
reinstalling Windows. Also note that I didn't have this problem with my old
PC, although I used the same sound card and settings. Any suggestions on how
to fix the problem? Thanks
Richard Urban

Re: Problem loading drivers on startup
Your old PC, likely running Windows XP, had more stable drivers.

Creative is terrible when it comes to drivers. When SoundBlaster Live was
introduced people had to go through 3-4 driver updates until Creative
finally released drivers that actually worked without problems.

See if there are driver updates available (from the Creative web site). If
you are using the latest, complain to Creative - not that it will do much
good.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"kadi1591" <kadi1591@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My PC running Vista Home Premium very often fails to load certain drivers,
> namely multimedia drivers (on-board and additional sound card and TV card)
> and PCI to PCI bridge controller, upon startup. The drivers are not lost,
> but
> Windows has to search and reinstall them every time. The problem is really
> annoying because every time it occurs I have to restart twice in order to
> configure my sound card (Creative Sound Blaster X-fi XtremeMusic) the way
> want. Note that I couldn't fix the problem even after reformatting and
> reinstalling Windows. Also note that I didn't have this problem with my
> old
> PC, although I used the same sound card and settings. Any suggestions on
> how
> to fix the problem? Thanks

kadi1591

Re: Problem loading drivers on startup
Richard, thank you for your immediate response, but I'm afraid the problem is
not with the sound card itself. I am aware of Creative's problematic drivers
(I've had problems in the past), but it's not Creative to blame this time.
First of all, my old PC was also running Vista, not XP. Second, as I
mentioned already, the problem is with all drivers, not just the sound
card's. I've realized that I'm not the first person having this problem
either. If you search for "Reinstalls drivers" in "Hardware and Devices",
you'll see a post titled "reinstalls drivers", where the exact same problem
is described by another user. One suggestion was deleting a particular file,
which didn't help me or the other user. Another suggestion was flashing the
BIOS. At least I'd like to know whether the problem is caused by Windows or
by the BIOS.
Thanx anyway