Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM

Wilian

Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM
So I have 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM. Problem is that motherboard tells me
that all 4 sticks are properly installed and able to be used but Vista claims
I have only 2.93GB RAM or 3.07GB. I am running with the computer with Windows
Vista Home Premium 32bit if that's the proper term.
Richard G. Harper

Re: Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM
Yes, that's correct. All Windows 32-bit OSes do not support 4gb or more of
memory, only 3gb will be seen.

"Wilian" <Wilian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So I have 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM. Problem is that motherboard tells
> me
> that all 4 sticks are properly installed and able to be used but Vista
> claims
> I have only 2.93GB RAM or 3.07GB. I am running with the computer with
> Windows
> Vista Home Premium 32bit if that's the proper term.

Wilian

Re: Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM
Ah bloody crap. Is there any way of going around this then?
HairyMcLeary

> Ah bloody crap. Is there any way of going around this then?

Yes, if you have a 64-bit processor then install the 64-bit version of
Vista. It doesn't have the same memory limitations as the 32-bit version
does.

You will need 64-bit drivers for all of your hardware and you have to do a
clean install not an upgrade.

The 64-bit version of Vista is available from Microsoft at a nominal price
if you already own a legitimate copy of Vista.

Tony

Richard Urban

Re: Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM
Unless "you" have allocated RAM to be used as video RAM in your bios, there
is nothing you can do.

It is the way 32 bit hardware and software (the operating system) use the
RAM. Some M/B's and chipsets allocate more than others to be used
specifically for the system. This RAM, though used by the system, is not
available for use by installed programs.

People who use 4 gig of RAM with 32 bit Windows typically see approximately
2.8 gig to about 3.5 gig available for programs. This includes the system
information type programs that show you installed RAM. The remainder is
already utilized by the operating system.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Wilian" <Wilian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So I have 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM. Problem is that motherboard tells
> me
> that all 4 sticks are properly installed and able to be used but Vista
> claims
> I have only 2.93GB RAM or 3.07GB. I am running with the computer with
> Windows
> Vista Home Premium 32bit if that's the proper term.

JW

Re: Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM
Se the following reference;

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929605/en-us

"Wilian" <Wilian@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> So I have 4GB DDR2 800mhz Corsair RAM. Problem is that motherboard tells
> me
> that all 4 sticks are properly installed and able to be used but Vista
> claims
> I have only 2.93GB RAM or 3.07GB. I am running with the computer with
> Windows
> Vista Home Premium 32bit if that's the proper term.

Conor

Re: Windows Vista doesn't regonize all RAM
In article <6495FCB5-7339-45AB-AA40-A08E4119E240@microsoft.com>, Wilian
says...
> Ah bloody crap. Is there any way of going around this then?

64 bit Vista.

--
Conor

until you hear them speak.........