Can't Split Drive

Alias

Can't Split Drive
Hello all,

I am running Vista Home Basic and have a 250GB SATA drive. I have tried
using various programs (Acronis Disk Director Suite v10, etc) to create a
second partition on my drive, but it's not working. It looks like the
partition software is working, but when all is said and done and I check the
drive nothing has changed.

Is Vista somehow protecting the hard drive from other software programs?
Any suggestions on how to split my drive is welcome.

-A
R. C. White, MVP

Re: Can't Split Drive
Hi, Alias.

You don't need a third-party program, like Acronis DD (although I've heard
good things about it). All you need is built into every version of Vista
(and Win2K and WinXP). It's called Disk Management. To get there, you can
Run diskmgmt.msc, or click right-click Computer, then Manage | Disk
Management.

But no program can create a partition out of thin air - or out of disk space
that is already included in another partition. Fortunately, the Vista
version of DM includes some new features, including Shrink Volume. Use this
on your existing volume, probably Drive C:. Shrink it to the size you want
it to be permanently. Then right-click on the newly-available Free Space
and then click New Simple Volume to create a new one. Either use all the
available space, as it suggests, or use less than the full amount available,
leaving room for another volume later; it's up to you.

And, yes, you will need administrator credentials to do this.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"Alias" <Alias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am running Vista Home Basic and have a 250GB SATA drive. I have tried
> using various programs (Acronis Disk Director Suite v10, etc) to create a
> second partition on my drive, but it's not working. It looks like the
> partition software is working, but when all is said and done and I check
> the
> drive nothing has changed.
>
> Is Vista somehow protecting the hard drive from other software programs?
> Any suggestions on how to split my drive is welcome.
>
> -A

JH Elliott

Re: Can't Split Drive
Similar prob using Vista Tool. C Shrink to provide unallocated space now
showing at 66000 MB, but when I right click on unallocated and New Simple
Volume and try to make one It keeps telling me there is not enough room on
the Drive. I am sure I am using an amount well below space in the Unallocated
Space. Also specified New Simple as F and on subsequent trys sometimes shows
G as default with F not in the list. Tried reboot with no diff. Any
suggestions

JH Elliott