Bluescreen after DISKCRC.SYS...

Calab

Bluescreen after DISKCRC.SYS...
A friend has a Lenovo laptop running Vista Home Premium. Right now, when
booting to Vista the PC bluescreens and starts the boot process over again.
This happens in normal as well as safemode.

When in safemode the last file loaded is DISKCRC.SYS (probably just the last
SYS file that would normally load). After a few seconds the bluescreen
occurs and the laptop restarts. I don't have the details from the bluescreen
yet.

There have been no changes to the laptop.

Any idea what may be happening?

I haven't had time to do a deep inspection, but BIOS settings are all
correct and trying to boot to the last known good configuration doesn't
change anything. I don't see an option to not restart on bluescreen from
safe/normal mode boot screen.

Of course Lenovo won't send out a Windows disc and one was never created
when the laptop was purchased, so I currently don't have a disc that I can
reload the laptop with.

Malke

Re: Bluescreen after DISKCRC.SYS...
Calab wrote:

> A friend has a Lenovo laptop running Vista Home Premium. Right now, when
> booting to Vista the PC bluescreens and starts the boot process over
> again. This happens in normal as well as safemode.
>
> When in safemode the last file loaded is DISKCRC.SYS (probably just the
> last SYS file that would normally load). After a few seconds the
> bluescreen occurs and the laptop restarts. I don't have the details from
> the bluescreen yet.
>
> There have been no changes to the laptop.
>
> Any idea what may be happening?
>
> I haven't had time to do a deep inspection, but BIOS settings are all
> correct and trying to boot to the last known good configuration doesn't
> change anything. I don't see an option to not restart on bluescreen from
> safe/normal mode boot screen.
>
> Of course Lenovo won't send out a Windows disc and one was never created
> when the laptop was purchased, so I currently don't have a disc that I can
> reload the laptop with.

Do some hardware troubleshooting first, starting with the hard drive.
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...ardware_Tshoot

You say "of course Lenovo won't send out a Windows disc" but did you call
them? My experience with Lenovo is that they will send out recovery discs
for nothing if the computer is still under warranty and for a small charge
if it is not. If they really won't, then you should be able to install with
a Vista DVD and use the Product Key from the sticker on the bottom of the
laptop.

However, test the hardware first because there is no point in messing about
with software if the hardware is bad. One thing you can do in this vein is
to boot with a Linux Live CD such as Knoppix. If the computer behaves
perfectly under Linux, then the problem lies with Windows. If Linux is
working, you can copy the data off to an external hard drive from there. If
Linux isn't working either, then hardware is the cause.

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!