DVD use freezes windows explorer

Bo Hayd

DVD use freezes windows explorer
I'm running Vista premium 64 bit with all updates.
Device manager says my DVD drivers are the best available.
If I insert a blank CD or DVD the system says it must format the disk - if I
do so then I can burn files to the disk and it will read just fine.
BUT, if I insert a disk, other than one burnt by my dvd, with data on it -
music to play, pictures or movies to view or programs to install - the dvd
starts to index the files (or at least I think so based on the green moving
band at the top of the screen) runs for about 60 seconds or so and then
registers as non responding and completely freezes the screen. The only way
to get rid of the frozen screen is to click the show desktop button or go
through a control/ alt/ delete sequence to shut down windows explorer. Then
we start all over again to try to read the files on the disk.
Auto play off or on seems to make no difference.
At this point I'm not sure if it's a CD/DVD problem or a windows explorer
problem.
Any suggestions
--
Bo Hayd
Alessandro

Re: DVD use freezes windows explorer
Bo Hayd wrote:
> I'm running Vista premium 64 bit with all updates.
> Device manager says my DVD drivers are the best available.
> If I insert a blank CD or DVD the system says it must format the disk - if I
> do so then I can burn files to the disk and it will read just fine.
> BUT, if I insert a disk, other than one burnt by my dvd, with data on it -
> music to play, pictures or movies to view or programs to install - the dvd
> starts to index the files (or at least I think so based on the green moving
> band at the top of the screen) runs for about 60 seconds or so and then
> registers as non responding and completely freezes the screen. The only way
> to get rid of the frozen screen is to click the show desktop button or go
> through a control/ alt/ delete sequence to shut down windows explorer. Then
> we start all over again to try to read the files on the disk.
> Auto play off or on seems to make no difference.
> At this point I'm not sure if it's a CD/DVD problem or a windows explorer
> problem.
> Any suggestions

Are you using a laptop? My laptop's DVD drives behaves the same way as
yours! It's because of the cheap lens they use when they build those
drives. I'm afraid the only way to fix it is to either change dvds brand
or dvd drive.

Alex
Bob

Re: DVD use freezes windows explorer
Never update drivers via the generic automatic updates. They are often
outdated. Update drivers on your OEM's or device manufacturer's website.