Running out of disc space

teresap10

Running out of disc space
I just had a new hard drive installed. I am using OS vista Home Premium SP2
64 bit.
I am now getting this message
"Low Disk Space
You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY . To free space on this
drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."

When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D."
The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but
both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.

when I go to my
the only folder listed on the is the Recovery and when I click on it it
has the HP Invent screen that says:
Recovery Partition
WARNING!!!!
This area of your hard drive(or partition) contains files used for your PC
Recovery
Do not Delete or alter these files
Any changes to this partition could prevent any recovery later.

There are no files listed that I can see, so don't know what is actually on
there, and I want to back this up to my external hard drive.
Is this the way it is supposed to be, and are there actually recovery data
there.
I still have my recovery discs from my old hard drive that ran the same
system so will they work if I need them.
thanks

kword88

Re: Running out of disc space

disable the low disk space warning for that drive/partition. if you ever
have to restore your computer, that is where all the information is
located.

--
kword88
Malke

Re: Running out of disc space
teresap10 wrote:

> I just had a new hard drive installed. I am using OS vista Home Premium
> SP2 64 bit.
> I am now getting this message
> "Low Disk Space
> You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY . To free space on this
> drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but
> both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> when I go to my
> the only folder listed on the is the Recovery and when I click on it
> it has the HP Invent screen that says:
> Recovery Partition
> WARNING!!!!

HP - Error: Low Disk Space on Recovery (D -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...s&lc=en&dlc=en

Malke
--
MS-MVP
Elephant Boy Computers - Don't Panic!

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Running out of disc space

"teresap10" <muscally@telus.net> wrote in message
> I just had a new hard drive installed. I am using OS vista Home Premium
> SP2 64 bit.
> I am now getting this message
> "Low Disk Space
> You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY . To free space on this
> drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>
> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D."
> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but
> both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>
> when I go to my
> the only folder listed on the is the Recovery and when I click on it
> it has the HP Invent screen that says:
> Recovery Partition
> WARNING!!!!
> This area of your hard drive(or partition) contains files used for your PC
> Recovery
> Do not Delete or alter these files
> Any changes to this partition could prevent any recovery later.
>
> There are no files listed that I can see, so don't know what is actually
> on there, and I want to back this up to my external hard drive.
> Is this the way it is supposed to be, and are there actually recovery data
> there.
> I still have my recovery discs from my old hard drive that ran the same
> system so will they work if I need them.
> thanks

You have inadvertently saved backups to a partition on your hard drive that
is only intended to hold files which enable full system recovery to factory
settings. Windows Backup programs have historically looked for a partition
or drive other than C drive and deposited backups accordingly.

There is nothing wrong with this as one should NEVER store backups on the
primary hard drive or partition. Backups should always be saved to a medium
which can be isolated from the computer. Unfortunately, Windows Backup does
not take into account any specific use being made of a partition or drive
other than C drive.

Move any backups you have created to another medium, e.g. CD/DVD, external
hard drive, then delete the backups from the D drive.

1. If you are making system backups, you will need to purchase an external
drive for the purpose. These items are generally supplied with backup
software which will make the process easy. The software can identify a
variety of file types, including mail files.

2. If you are making backups of general data, i.e. documents, pictures,
music, use the CD/DVD burning program to burn the files to CD/DVD's

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

John Galt

Re: Running out of disc space
"Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote:

>"teresap10" <muscally@telus.net> wrote in message
>> I just had a new hard drive installed. I am using OS vista Home Premium
>> SP2 64 bit.
>> I am now getting this message
>> "Low Disk Space
>> You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY . To free space on this
>> drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>>
>> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D."
>> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but
>> both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>>
>> when I go to my
>> the only folder listed on the is the Recovery and when I click on it
>> it has the HP Invent screen that says:
>> Recovery Partition
>> WARNING!!!!
>> This area of your hard drive(or partition) contains files used for your PC
>> Recovery
>> Do not Delete or alter these files
>> Any changes to this partition could prevent any recovery later.
>>
>> There are no files listed that I can see, so don't know what is actually
>> on there, and I want to back this up to my external hard drive.
>> Is this the way it is supposed to be, and are there actually recovery data
>> there.
>> I still have my recovery discs from my old hard drive that ran the same
>> system so will they work if I need them.
>> thanks
>>

>You have inadvertently saved backups to a partition on your hard drive that
>is only intended to hold files which enable full system recovery to factory
>settings. Windows Backup programs have historically looked for a partition
>or drive other than C drive and deposited backups accordingly.

[snip]

That's doubtful. It's a brand new hard drive and installation. PLUS
the OP clearly stated that an external hard drive is being used for
backups.

R. C. White

Re: Running out of disc space
Hi, John.

True. But the OP also said the error message was:
>> You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY .

While it is not clear that the "" was meant as a drive letter, the message
as quoted clearly refers to the "RECOVERY" partition.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"John Galt" <galtj@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>"teresap10" <muscally@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> I just had a new hard drive installed. I am using OS vista Home Premium
>>> SP2 64 bit.
>>> I am now getting this message
>>> "Low Disk Space
>>> You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY . To free space on this
>>> drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>>>
>>> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D."
>>> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but
>>> both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>>>
>>> when I go to my
>>> the only folder listed on the is the Recovery and when I click on
>>> it
>>> it has the HP Invent screen that says:
>>> Recovery Partition
>>> WARNING!!!!
>>> This area of your hard drive(or partition) contains files used for your
>>> PC
>>> Recovery
>>> Do not Delete or alter these files
>>> Any changes to this partition could prevent any recovery later.
>>>
>>> There are no files listed that I can see, so don't know what is actually
>>> on there, and I want to back this up to my external hard drive.
>>> Is this the way it is supposed to be, and are there actually recovery
>>> data
>>> there.
>>> I still have my recovery discs from my old hard drive that ran the same
>>> system so will they work if I need them.
>>> thanks
>>>

>>You have inadvertently saved backups to a partition on your hard drive
>>that
>>is only intended to hold files which enable full system recovery to
>>factory
>>settings. Windows Backup programs have historically looked for a partition
>>or drive other than C drive and deposited backups accordingly.

> [snip]
>
> That's doubtful. It's a brand new hard drive and installation. PLUS
> the OP clearly stated that an external hard drive is being used for
> backups.

Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Running out of disc space

"John Galt" <galtj@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
> "Mike Hall - MVP" <mikehall@mvps.org> wrote:
>

>>"teresap10" <muscally@telus.net> wrote in message
>>> I just had a new hard drive installed. I am using OS vista Home Premium
>>> SP2 64 bit.
>>> I am now getting this message
>>> "Low Disk Space
>>> You are running out of disk space on RECOVERY . To free space on this
>>> drive by deleting old or unnecessary files, click here..."
>>>
>>> When I "Click here," I am then offered "Disk Cleanup for RECOVERY (D."
>>> The Disk Cleanup offers "Office Setup Files" and "Recycle Bin," but
>>> both have "0 bytes" so I can't free up space that way.
>>>
>>> when I go to my
>>> the only folder listed on the is the Recovery and when I click on
>>> it
>>> it has the HP Invent screen that says:
>>> Recovery Partition
>>> WARNING!!!!
>>> This area of your hard drive(or partition) contains files used for your
>>> PC
>>> Recovery
>>> Do not Delete or alter these files
>>> Any changes to this partition could prevent any recovery later.
>>>
>>> There are no files listed that I can see, so don't know what is actually
>>> on there, and I want to back this up to my external hard drive.
>>> Is this the way it is supposed to be, and are there actually recovery
>>> data
>>> there.
>>> I still have my recovery discs from my old hard drive that ran the same
>>> system so will they work if I need them.
>>> thanks
>>>

>>You have inadvertently saved backups to a partition on your hard drive
>>that
>>is only intended to hold files which enable full system recovery to
>>factory
>>settings. Windows Backup programs have historically looked for a partition
>>or drive other than C drive and deposited backups accordingly.

> [snip]
>
> That's doubtful. It's a brand new hard drive and installation. PLUS
> the OP clearly stated that an external hard drive is being used for
> backups.

I have re-read the message that appears on my screen, and there is NO
mention of an external drive..

Correction.. I have just seen it..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

teresap10

Re: Running out of disc space
thankyou for the responses. I appreciate them all. I will clarify a few
things.
The is the drive I am referring to, it contains a folder that says
Recovery
when I click on the recovery file, the only thing that comes up is the
warning from HP.
I cannot delete any of the files that I " supposedly " backed up to the
as it does NOT show me a list of files in the recovery folder. I hope that I
have explained myself clearly, and once again I still have the recovery
discs from my old drive,(it was only purchased in Feb so the back up data
should be exactly the same as my new drive. Also I back up my personal
files to an external hard drive, so I have no problem there.
I do not have a problem leaving it like it is, I just want to get rid of the
warning that comes all the time. I do not know how to do that so can
someone help me with that. thanks once again.