Vista does not recognise internal hard drive in external usb enclosure

ossy

Vista does not recognise internal hard drive in external usb enclosure

Hey guys,

I have 2 pcs one with xp pro, other is vista business 32bit on laptop.
Using a 750gb samsung hd753Lj internal hard drive in a sumvision
external enclosure with usb2 and e-sata connection, but i only have usb
connection. ALl works fine on xp computer, but when i plug into vista i
get the error in the system tray saying "usb device not recognised". In
device manager it says "unknown device." have tried all 4 usb ports on
laptop, have tried using it via mains powered usb hub and still no joy.
Please help!
Os

--
ossy
R. C. White

Re: Vista does not recognise internal hard drive in external usb enclosure
Hi, ossy.

What does Disk Management say about that HDD? What does it say in WinXP,
and what does it say in Vista?

Check in the DM Help file for instructions to add an HDD from another
computer. Search the Help file for "foreign" disks.

Other tools - such as Device Manager and Windows Explorer - are for showing
us information about our HDDs, but Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc) has been
the tool to actually manage HDDs (and optical drives, USB flash drives,
cameras and card readers...anything that can be assigned a "drive" letter)
ever since Windows 2000.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

"ossy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hey guys,
>
> I have 2 pcs one with xp pro, other is vista business 32bit on laptop.
> Using a 750gb samsung hd753Lj internal hard drive in a sumvision
> external enclosure with usb2 and e-sata connection, but i only have usb
> connection. ALl works fine on xp computer, but when i plug into vista i
> get the error in the system tray saying "usb device not recognised". In
> device manager it says "unknown device." have tried all 4 usb ports on
> laptop, have tried using it via mains powered usb hub and still no joy.
> Please help!
> Os
>

> --
> ossy

Curious

Re: Vista does not recognize internal hard drive in external sub enclosure
Ossy,
I have never seen drives types identified as Internal or External hard
drives. They are identified by their interface type (SCSI, IDE(PATA), or
SATA and their interface max transfer rate. Any of these interface drive
types can be mounted either internally or externally. All you did was take
a drive that was mounted internally and connected directly to your MOBO and
put it into an external enclosure that supported it interface type.

"R. C. White" <rc@grandecom.net> wrote in message
> Hi, ossy.
>
> What does Disk Management say about that HDD? What does it say in WinXP,
> and what does it say in Vista?
>
> Check in the DM Help file for instructions to add an HDD from another
> computer. Search the Help file for "foreign" disks.
>
> Other tools - such as Device Manager and Windows Explorer - are for
> showing us information about our HDDs, but Disk Management (diskmgmt.msc)
> has been the tool to actually manage HDDs (and optical drives, USB flash
> drives, cameras and card readers...anything that can be assigned a "drive"
> letter) ever since Windows 2000.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
>
> "ossy" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
>>
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> I have 2 pcs one with xp pro, other is vista business 32bit on laptop.
>> Using a 750gb samsung hd753Lj internal hard drive in a sumvision
>> external enclosure with usb2 and e-sata connection, but i only have usb
>> connection. ALl works fine on xp computer, but when i plug into vista i
>> get the error in the system tray saying "usb device not recognised". In
>> device manager it says "unknown device." have tried all 4 usb ports on
>> laptop, have tried using it via mains powered usb hub and still no joy.
>> Please help!
>> Os
>>

>> --
>> ossy

ossy

Re: Vista does not recognise internal hard drive in external usb enclosure

Hi guys,

Firstly, they are sata drives in an external enclosure which supports
both esata and usb....

In disk managment on Xp it says Basic 698.63GB Online Fat 32 Healthy.
(it was previously on NTFS giving me the same error in vista and i
reformatted to FAT 32 to get it to work with my PS3, which incidentally
doesnt seem to support it either, but thats another issue)

In vista it only appears in disk managment for about 2 seconds. and
then says "raw" instead of the fat32, then it disappears...

However, i just tried to replug my second 750gb drive which has just
been reformatted to fat 32 and it seems to recognise it......thus im
going to transfer my 650gb of data to see if it still works. both drives
are identical by brand and by enclosure. even used the same partition
software. might just be a faulty drive, in which case its still under
warranty. Ill let you guys know tomorrow if that has sorted it out.
Thanks for your input

--
ossy
smlunatick

On Sep 6, 2:04*pm, ossy <gu...@unknown-email.com> wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have 2 pcs one with xp pro, other is vista business 32bit on laptop.
> Using a 750gb samsung hd753Lj internal hard drive in a sumvision
> external enclosure with usb2 and e-sata connection, but i only have usb
> connection. ALl works fine on xp computer, but when i plug into vista i
> get the error in the system tray saying "usb device not recognised". In
> device manager it says "unknown device." have tried all 4 usb ports on
> laptop, have tried using it via mains powered usb hub and still no joy.
> Please help!
> Os
>
> --
> ossy

The external enclosure is at fault and it may not wirk under Vista.
It has been posted that some external hard drives / enclosures are not
ready for Vista yet.
ossy

Re: Vista does not recognise internal hard drive in external usb enclosure

Vista is a POS, and yes it was the enclosure :-)

--
ossy
Gordon

"smlunatick" <yveslec@gmail.com> wrote in message

> The external enclosure is at fault and it may not wirk under Vista.
> It has been posted that some external hard drives / enclosures are not
> ready for Vista yet.

Well I don't know which ones. I have an old 30GB 2.5" drive from a 6 year
old laptop in an external enclosure and THAT works perfectly well with XP,
Vista, Win 7 and Linux.