Invalid Harddisk

Sameh

Invalid Harddisk
Since I installed windows vista home premium I can not put my secondary hard
disk online, when I go to disk part on the command prompet it shows the
following:
Disk1 invalid 149 GB dyn
when I try to put it online it gives me the following message:
"DiskPart encountered an error while onlining the objects in the pack
associated with the selected disk"

So can anybody help how to retrive my hard disk as it consist of data I
don't want to loose
Rick Rogers

Re: Invalid Harddisk
Hi Sameh,

Was that disk part of a dynamic disk previously?
Have you tried running diskmgmt.msc and using the 'import foriegn disk'
function?
Why are you trying to do this from the command prompt?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sameh" <Sameh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since I installed windows vista home premium I can not put my secondary
> hard
> disk online, when I go to disk part on the command prompet it shows the
> following:
> Disk1 invalid 149 GB dyn
> when I try to put it online it gives me the following message:
> "DiskPart encountered an error while onlining the objects in the pack
> associated with the selected disk"
>
> So can anybody help how to retrive my hard disk as it consist of data I
> don't want to loose

Sameh

Re: Invalid Harddisk
Hi Rick,

I didn't try that, but how can I do it, could you please give me the steps

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi Sameh,
>
> Was that disk part of a dynamic disk previously?
> Have you tried running diskmgmt.msc and using the 'import foriegn disk'
> function?
> Why are you trying to do this from the command prompt?
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Sameh" <Sameh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Since I installed windows vista home premium I can not put my secondary
> > hard
> > disk online, when I go to disk part on the command prompet it shows the
> > following:
> > Disk1 invalid 149 GB dyn
> > when I try to put it online it gives me the following message:
> > "DiskPart encountered an error while onlining the objects in the pack
> > associated with the selected disk"
> >
> > So can anybody help how to retrive my hard disk as it consist of data I
> > don't want to loose

Jawade

Re: Invalid Harddisk
In article <C3C3F423-E0CA-450E-B3A3-BAB8F4EB0622@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?U2FtZWg=?= <Sameh@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> Hi Rick,
>
> I didn't try that, but how can I do it, could you please give me the steps

click the Start button and type diskmgmt.msc

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
R. C. White, MVP

Re: Invalid Harddisk
Hi, Sameh.

You should be aware that DiskPart.exe opens its own shell in the Command
Prompt window. This is NOT just Command Prompt! DiskPart is a very
powerful utility, which means that it can do a lot of good when used
properly, but it also is powerful enough to do a LOT of damage if you are
not very careful.

Unless you understand hard disks and know what you are trying to do, use
Disk Management, not DiskPart. DM can do most of what DP can do - with more
protection for the user.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

> Hi Rick,
>
> I didn't try that, but how can I do it, could you please give me the steps
>
> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
>> Hi Sameh,
>>
>> Was that disk part of a dynamic disk previously?
>> Have you tried running diskmgmt.msc and using the 'import foriegn disk'
>> function?
>> Why are you trying to do this from the command prompt?
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> "Sameh" <Sameh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Since I installed windows vista home premium I can not put my secondary
>> > hard
>> > disk online, when I go to disk part on the command prompet it shows the
>> > following:
>> > Disk1 invalid 149 GB dyn
>> > when I try to put it online it gives me the following message:
>> > "DiskPart encountered an error while onlining the objects in the pack
>> > associated with the selected disk"
>> >
>> > So can anybody help how to retrive my hard disk as it consist of data I
>> > don't want to loose

Chopper

Re: Invalid Harddisk
I am also experiencing the same problem. From within MMC the hard disk is
listed as "dynamic Disk Offline". When I right click on it the only menu
items I have are "Convert to basic disk" (which will delete all my data)
"properties" or "help". There is no option available to import a foreign
disk. From within DiskPart ican select the disk (disk 1) however it will not
allow me to bring it online.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

"R. C. White, MVP" wrote:

> Hi, Sameh.
>
> You should be aware that DiskPart.exe opens its own shell in the Command
> Prompt window. This is NOT just Command Prompt! DiskPart is a very
> powerful utility, which means that it can do a lot of good when used
> properly, but it also is powerful enough to do a LOT of damage if you are
> not very careful.
>
> Unless you understand hard disks and know what you are trying to do, use
> Disk Management, not DiskPart. DM can do most of what DP can do - with more
> protection for the user.
>
> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX
> rc@grandecom.net
> Microsoft Windows MVP
> (Running Windows Mail in Vista Ultimate x64)
>
> "Sameh" <Sameh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi Rick,
> >
> > I didn't try that, but how can I do it, could you please give me the steps
> >
> > "Rick Rogers" wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Sameh,
> >>
> >> Was that disk part of a dynamic disk previously?
> >> Have you tried running diskmgmt.msc and using the 'import foriegn disk'
> >> function?
> >> Why are you trying to do this from the command prompt?
> >>
> >> --
> >> Best of Luck,

Chopper

Re: Invalid Harddisk
This from Ned Buckmaster:
> After further research, I found that Home Basic and Home Premium do NOT
> handle dynamic disks.

Apparently if you have Vista Home you're in a bit of trouble.... anyone out
there know of a solution to this one?