Keyboard doesn't work (other posts don't apply)

v877051

Keyboard doesn't work (other posts don't apply)

Hello!

I have another post going but haven't been able to get to it because I
ran out of batteries! (ugh)

Here's my problem:

1.) I've been (since I got the custom-built PC about a year ago) been
using a wireless keyboard; the adapter is USB-connectable. All USB
ports respond if/when I attach a device.

2.) I don't know the name of the "port," but where you'd normally
plug-in any keyboard (6-pins, 1 square center pin, almost circle-shaped
plug), I get no response.

3.) I tried plugging-in a wired keyboard that I borrowed from a
friend. I even bought a new Microsoft keyboard, thinking the borrowed
one was damaged. I'm positive at this point it's
system/hardware-related.

4.) When I go into Device Manager and even view hidden devices, none
of the drivers have that warning sign (yellow triangle + a "!" sign) by
them. This indicates, to me at least, all my drivers are intact.

Please help. I'm kinda poor :sick: and am running out of batteries
frequently from using the wireless. I really need to go wired w/ regard
to the keyboard.

I'm a complete and total newbie here, so please go easy on me! I tried
to spell out everything as detailed as possible, in hopes that this can
be solved.

Thank you, in advance, for your help. Everyone has been GREAT here so
far.

Warmest regards,
Erik

--
v877051
Mike Hall - MVP

Re: Keyboard doesn't work (other posts don't apply)

"v877051" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hello!
>
> I have another post going but haven't been able to get to it because I
> ran out of batteries! (ugh)
>
> Here's my problem:
>
> 1.) I've been (since I got the custom-built PC about a year ago) been
> using a wireless keyboard; the adapter is USB-connectable. All USB
> ports respond if/when I attach a device.
>
> 2.) I don't know the name of the "port," but where you'd normally
> plug-in any keyboard (6-pins, 1 square center pin, almost circle-shaped
> plug), I get no response.
>
> 3.) I tried plugging-in a wired keyboard that I borrowed from a
> friend. I even bought a new Microsoft keyboard, thinking the borrowed
> one was damaged. I'm positive at this point it's
> system/hardware-related.
>
> 4.) When I go into Device Manager and even view hidden devices, none
> of the drivers have that warning sign (yellow triangle + a "!" sign) by
> them. This indicates, to me at least, all my drivers are intact.
>
> Please help. I'm kinda poor :sick: and am running out of batteries
> frequently from using the wireless. I really need to go wired w/ regard
> to the keyboard.
>
> I'm a complete and total newbie here, so please go easy on me! I tried
> to spell out everything as detailed as possible, in hopes that this can
> be solved.
>
> Thank you, in advance, for your help. Everyone has been GREAT here so
> far.
>
> Warmest regards,
> Erik
>

> --
> v877051

Have you tried plugging in the keyboard (mauve port) and rebooting the
computer to force detection?

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

v877051

Re: Keyboard doesn't work (other posts don't apply)

I will do it now. Thanks for the tip. I'll report back once it's done.
BTW, this is a custom build, the only applicable keyboard port is half
green, half purple in color. There's no mauve-colored port, except for
one right beneath it that's about the size of something that standard
headphones would plug into. Is that what you meant? If so, I don't
have an adapter to go from keyboard-to-mauve-colored-port. I hope that
makes sense. Either way, thanks Mike, it's VERY REASSURING to have an
MVP on this. BRB. -Erik

--
v877051
v877051

Re: Keyboard doesn't work (other posts don't apply)

Mike, you're a genius.

I unplugged my wireless adapter, plugged-in my wired keyboard, then
restarted. The "forced hardware detection" method worked.

I was able to type right away!

Hopefully others may benefit from this post.

I'm not sure how to close this out, but consider this 150% resolved.

THANKS AGAIN!

Erik

> Mike, you're a genius.
>
> I unplugged my wireless adapter, plugged-in my wired keyboard, then
> restarted. The "forced hardware detection" method worked.
>
> I was able to type right away!
>
> Hopefully others may benefit from this post.
>
> I'm not sure how to close this out, but consider this 150% resolved.
>
> THANKS AGAIN!
>
> Erik
>

> --
> v877051

Erik

No problem.. glad it worked for you..

--

Mike Hall - MVP Windows Experience
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

v877051

Re: Keyboard doesn't work (other posts don't apply)

Mike... maybe you could give some input on my "downloads hanging at 99%"
problem!? You're an MVP, after all!

--
v877051