Screen corruption - ATi Radeon 9550 AGP w/Vista Ultimate

John

Screen corruption - ATi Radeon 9550 AGP w/Vista Ultimate
I have just installed Vista Ultimate with the latest Catalyst display
drivers and latest Hyperion chipset drivers for my VIA KM400-based Athlon
motherboard. I have a lot of garbage on the screen and don't know how I can
get rid of it. My machine was reported as being Vista capable. The computer
doesn't lockup or anything and runs fine, but the screen corruption is very
difficult to cope with. The graphics card is not damaged and runs fine with
XP.

Anything that can I do to try to improve the situation? I have not activated
Vista yet and can get back to XP as I have no problem with this OS.
A decrease in graphics performance, as a last resort, would be an acceptable
solution.

Thanks

John

Dustin Harper

Re: Screen corruption - ATi Radeon 9550 AGP w/Vista Ultimate
What happens if you use the default Microsoft drivers? There shouldn't be a
compatibility problem with that setup, though. If the default MS drivers
work, you may try some older Catalyst drivers. The older cards are sometimes
picky on which drivers work and which ones don't.

--
Dustin Harper
dharper@vistarip.com

--
"John" <reply@togroup.invalid> wrote in message
>I have just installed Vista Ultimate with the latest Catalyst display
>drivers and latest Hyperion chipset drivers for my VIA KM400-based Athlon
>motherboard. I have a lot of garbage on the screen and don't know how I can
>get rid of it. My machine was reported as being Vista capable. The computer
>doesn't lockup or anything and runs fine, but the screen corruption is very
>difficult to cope with. The graphics card is not damaged and runs fine with
>XP.
>
> Anything that can I do to try to improve the situation? I have not
> activated Vista yet and can get back to XP as I have no problem with this
> OS.
> A decrease in graphics performance, as a last resort, would be an
> acceptable solution.
>
> Thanks
>
> John

John Doe

On May 1, 10:06 am, "Dustin Harper" <dhar...@vistarip.com> wrote:
> What happens if you use the default Microsoft drivers? There shouldn't be a
> compatibility problem with that setup, though. If the default MS drivers
> work, you may try some older Catalyst drivers. The older cards are sometimes
> picky on which drivers work and which ones don't.
>
> --
> Dustin Harper
> dhar...@vistarip.comhttp://www.vistarip.com
>
> --"John" <r...@togroup.invalid> wrote in message

> >I have just installed Vista Ultimate with the latest Catalyst display
> >drivers and latest Hyperion chipset drivers for my VIA KM400-based Athlon
> >motherboard. I have a lot of garbage on the screen and don't know how I can
> >get rid of it. My machine was reported as being Vista capable. The computer
> >doesn't lockup or anything and runs fine, but the screen corruption is very
> >difficult to cope with. The graphics card is not damaged and runs fine with
> >XP.

> > Anything that can I do to try to improve the situation? I have not
> > activated Vista yet and can get back to XP as I have no problem with this
> > OS.
> > A decrease in graphics performance, as a last resort, would be an
> > acceptable solution.

> > Thanks

> > John- Hide quoted text -

The drivers that come with Vista produce the same effect. I also had
the same effect without the Hyperion chipset drivers installed.
At the moment I am trying out my system with AGP speed set to 4X
(instead of 8X) and an aperture size of 64M instead of 128. Fingers
crossed.