lower vista experience score?

Todd Marks

lower vista experience score?
I just swapped graphics cards from an ATI x600 128MB DDR w/ hypermemory to
256 MB to a Nvidia 7100GS 256MB DDR2. The Nvidia card is better in every
aspect except the core clock speed. I believe the ATI is a 400 MHz core (it
might be as much as 500 MHz), and the Nvidia has a 350MHz core. I
reevaluated my Vista experience score after the swap, and it dropped from a
3.7 to 3.0! Would the difference in core speeds make that much of a
difference? I've heard stories of the score doing some weird things with
scores pertaining to graphics cards, but am now experiencing it firsthand.
Should I keep my Nvidia card, or keep the ATI? I don't play too many really
graphics intensive games, Civ IV is probably the biggest resource hog, but I
am putting a TV tuner in later this week so which card would be better for
that application? Thanks for your help,

Todd
Curious

Re: lower vista experience score?
You should be fine as long as you are not putting in a HDTV tuner card.
The memory bus width and the effective memory speed are also very important.
As long as you have 128mb of graphics memory you can handle a HDTV tuner
card.
"Todd Marks" <ToddMarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just swapped graphics cards from an ATI x600 128MB DDR w/ hypermemory to
> 256 MB to a Nvidia 7100GS 256MB DDR2. The Nvidia card is better in every
> aspect except the core clock speed. I believe the ATI is a 400 MHz core
> (it
> might be as much as 500 MHz), and the Nvidia has a 350MHz core. I
> reevaluated my Vista experience score after the swap, and it dropped from
> 3.7 to 3.0! Would the difference in core speeds make that much of a
> difference? I've heard stories of the score doing some weird things with
> scores pertaining to graphics cards, but am now experiencing it firsthand.
> Should I keep my Nvidia card, or keep the ATI? I don't play too many
> really
> graphics intensive games, Civ IV is probably the biggest resource hog, but
> am putting a TV tuner in later this week so which card would be better for
> that application? Thanks for your help,
>
> Todd

JW

Re: lower vista experience score?
I would certainly expect the AIT card to be the better pewformer with video
due to its higher memory bandwith.
"Todd Marks" <ToddMarks@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just swapped graphics cards from an ATI x600 128MB DDR w/ hypermemory to
> 256 MB to a Nvidia 7100GS 256MB DDR2. The Nvidia card is better in every
> aspect except the core clock speed. I believe the ATI is a 400 MHz core
> (it
> might be as much as 500 MHz), and the Nvidia has a 350MHz core. I
> reevaluated my Vista experience score after the swap, and it dropped from
> 3.7 to 3.0! Would the difference in core speeds make that much of a
> difference? I've heard stories of the score doing some weird things with
> scores pertaining to graphics cards, but am now experiencing it firsthand.
> Should I keep my Nvidia card, or keep the ATI? I don't play too many
> really
> graphics intensive games, Civ IV is probably the biggest resource hog, but
> am putting a TV tuner in later this week so which card would be better for
> that application? Thanks for your help,
>
> Todd

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Re: lower vista experience score?
Todd;
Be concerned less about the numbers and more about actual performance.
Which one runs your programs better?

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar