Vista can't access XP printers

Walter Blanchard

Vista can't access XP printers
[cross posted to hardware.devices]

I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.

Same workgroup
Vista can see and share folders on XP
XP can see and share folders on Vista
Simple sharing off on XP
Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.

Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.

Any help will be appreciated.

--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

Chuck

Re: Vista can't access XP printers
On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:05 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
<Walter_B@community.nospam> wrote:

>[cross posted to hardware.devices]
>
>I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
>Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.
>
>Same workgroup
>Vista can see and share folders on XP
>XP can see and share folders on Vista
>Simple sharing off on XP
>Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
>Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.
>
>Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.
>
>Any help will be appreciated.

Walter,

Generally, you're looking at a misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, or
other security component. There are several other possibilities too, and any
might be the cause of your problem. Read this article with an open mind.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html

What account are you using for sharing, on the XP computers? Guest, maybe?
Check the restrictanonymous setting.
<http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
Walter Blanchard

Re: Vista can't access XP printers
Thanks, Chuck. I've forwarded your response to my friend and asked him to
reply.

--

______________________________

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:05 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
> <Walter_B@community.nospam> wrote:
>
>>[cross posted to hardware.devices]
>>
>>I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
>>Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.
>>
>>Same workgroup
>>Vista can see and share folders on XP
>>XP can see and share folders on Vista
>>Simple sharing off on XP
>>Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
>>Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.
>>
>>Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.
>>
>>Any help will be appreciated.

> Walter,
>
> Generally, you're looking at a misconfigured or overlooked personal
> firewall, or
> other security component. There are several other possibilities too, and
> any
> might be the cause of your problem. Read this article with an open mind.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html
>
> What account are you using for sharing, on the XP computers? Guest,
> maybe?
> Check the restrictanonymous setting.
> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
> My email is AT DOT
> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Rich

Re: Vista can't access XP printers
I learned several things about networking Vista and XP PC's together but this
post did not solve my printer sharing problem. Another post in this forum
entered on 11 February 2007 did solve my problem.

On Tue, 1 May 2007 12:59:00 -0700, Rich <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>"Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:05 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
>> <Walter_B@community.nospam> wrote:
>>
>> >[cross posted to hardware.devices]
>> >
>> >I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
>> >Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.
>> >
>> >Same workgroup
>> >Vista can see and share folders on XP
>> >XP can see and share folders on Vista
>> >Simple sharing off on XP
>> >Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
>> >Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.
>> >
>> >Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.
>> >
>> >Any help will be appreciated.

>> Walter,
>>
>> Generally, you're looking at a misconfigured or overlooked personal firewall, or
>> other security component. There are several other possibilities too, and any
>> might be the cause of your problem. Read this article with an open mind.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html
>>
>> What account are you using for sharing, on the XP computers? Guest, maybe?
>> Check the restrictanonymous setting.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html

>I learned several things about networking Vista and XP PC's together but this
>post did not solve my printer sharing problem. Another post in this forum
>entered on 11 February 2007 did solve my problem.

Thanks for the feedback, Rich. Printer networking is an extremely complex
subject, and solutions needed vary by printer make and model, by operating
system, and by network connection. Kerry's procedure contains the practical
instructions needed.

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Chuck

Re: Vista can't access XP printers
On Tue, 1 May 2007 08:11:21 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
<Walter_B@community.nospam> wrote:

>"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
>news:lrsc33hgq9ltauqtg3focpbev6s8nlmqio@4ax.com.. .
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:05 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
>> <Walter_B@community.nospam> wrote:
>>
>>>[cross posted to hardware.devices]
>>>
>>>I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines and
>>>Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.
>>>
>>>Same workgroup
>>>Vista can see and share folders on XP
>>>XP can see and share folders on Vista
>>>Simple sharing off on XP
>>>Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
>>>Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.
>>>
>>>Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.
>>>
>>>Any help will be appreciated.

>> Walter,
>>
>> Generally, you're looking at a misconfigured or overlooked personal
>> firewall, or
>> other security component. There are several other possibilities too, and
>> any
>> might be the cause of your problem. Read this article with an open mind.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html
>>
>> What account are you using for sharing, on the XP computers? Guest,
>> maybe?
>> Check the restrictanonymous setting.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html

>Thanks, Chuck. I've forwarded your response to my friend and asked him to
>reply.

>______________________________
>
>Walter B
>waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
>______________________________

Thanks, Walter. I'll look forward to his reply (preferably in this thread).

--
Cheers,
Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
My email is AT DOT
actual address pchuck mvps org.
Walter Blanchard

Re: Vista can't access XP printers
Rich,

Glad you got your problem solved. Can you share a more specific reference,
or a quote?

--

______________________________

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news26F67BD-11D7-4C59-9CCC-3A7898BD05D9@microsoft.com...
>I learned several things about networking Vista and XP PC's together but
>this
> post did not solve my printer sharing problem. Another post in this forum
> entered on 11 February 2007 did solve my problem.
>

> "Chuck" wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:28:05 -0400, "Walter Blanchard"
>> <Walter_B@community.nospam> wrote:
>>
>> >[cross posted to hardware.devices]
>> >
>> >I have a friend with a home network. He has XP MCE 2005 on 2 machines
>> >and
>> >Vista (Ultimate on one, Premium on another) on 2 machines.
>> >
>> >Same workgroup
>> >Vista can see and share folders on XP
>> >XP can see and share folders on Vista
>> >Simple sharing off on XP
>> >Printer sharing Security allows full control to Everyone on XP
>> >Printers are USB Canon on both XP machines.
>> >
>> >Vista can see XP printers on both, but gets "access denied" message.
>> >
>> >Any help will be appreciated.

>> Walter,
>>
>> Generally, you're looking at a misconfigured or overlooked personal
>> firewall, or
>> other security component. There are several other possibilities too, and
>> any
>> might be the cause of your problem. Read this article with an open mind.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/10/irregularities-in-workgroup-visibility.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/1...isibility.html
>>
>> What account are you using for sharing, on the XP computers? Guest,
>> maybe?
>> Check the restrictanonymous setting.
>> <http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/07/restrictanonymous-and-your-server.html>
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/0...ur-server.html
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]
>> http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/
>> Paranoia is not a problem, when it's a normal response from experience.
>> My email is AT DOT
>> actual address pchuck mvps org.

Walter Blanchard

Re: Vista can't access XP printers
You're welcome, Chuck. I'm afraid he has given up. Rich mentions a post
that solved his problem, but doesn't make a reference. You mention "Kerry's
procedure" in a reply to him. I've done a search, but can't find it. Can
you provide either a reference or the "procedure?"
--

______________________________

Walter B
waltblanch[at]tampabay[dot]rr[dot]com
______________________________

"Chuck" <none@example.net> wrote in message
<clip>
> Thanks, Walter. I'll look forward to his reply (preferably in this
> thread).
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Chuck, MS-MVP [Windows - Networking]