How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.

Phil B.

How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.
In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was still
able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've tried
to hide a drive with registry
tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)
and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways leave
hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if they truely do not exist. Can
anyone tell me is it possible to hide a drive in Vista and still be able to
use it, and if so, how?

Phil
Gordon

Re: How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.

"Phil B." <PhilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was still
> able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista

How do you know there's not? It may not be CALLED the same but there
certainly is one.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...indows-7-vista

Phil B.

Re: How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.
Gordon,

TweakUI was written by Microsoft engineers. And I haven't seen a Vista
version yet. This product, is not written be Microsoft engineers, but it
looks promising. I'll download it and see if it does what I need.

Thanks,
Phil

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Phil B." <PhilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was still
> > able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista

> How do you know there's not? It may not be CALLED the same but there
> certainly is one.
>
> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...indows-7-vista

stoneys-nutz

Phil B.;1107688 Wrote:
> In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was
> still
> able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've
> tried
> to hide a drive with registry
> tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)
> and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways
> leave
> hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if they truely do not exist.
> Can
> anyone tell me is it possible to hide a drive in Vista and still be
> able to
> use it, and if so, how?
>
> Phil

Hello Phil,
You are supposed to be able to get TweakUI working in Vista.
Go here and take a look, i dont know if it will help, or work, i have
never tried it, but it just might cure your problem.
Good luck and post your results.

'TweakUI for Vista (x64 too!) | PC Tips'
(http://www.pctipsbox.com/tweakui-for-vista-x64-too/)

--
stoneys-nutz

Natéag

"stoneys-nutz" <guest@unknown-email.com> a écrit dans le message de

> Phil B.;1107688 Wrote:
>> In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was
>> still
>> able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've
>> tried
>> to hide a drive with registry
>> tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)
>> and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways
>> leave
>> hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if they truely do not exist.
>> Can
>> anyone tell me is it possible to hide a drive in Vista and still be
>> able to
>> use it, and if so, how?
>>
>> Phil

> Hello Phil,
> You are supposed to be able to get TweakUI working in Vista.
> Go here and take a look, i dont know if it will help, or work, i have
> never tried it, but it just might cure your problem.
> Good luck and post your results.
>

> 'TweakUI for Vista (x64 too!) | PC Tips'
> (http://www.pctipsbox.com/tweakui-for-vista-x64-too/)
>

> --
> stoneys-nutz

TweakUI is not available at that address. Just a way to get you to
use other utilities.

Search the Net for tweakui 1.33. Do not download any of the
newer versions : they won't work.
It is a pre XP version, but it works with Vista (32 bit) and Win7.

Bob

Re: How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

"stoneys-nutz" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Phil B.;1107688 Wrote:
>> In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was
>> still
>> able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've
>> tried
>> to hide a drive with registry
>> tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)
>> and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways
>> leave
>> hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if they truely do not exist.
>> Can
>> anyone tell me is it possible to hide a drive in Vista and still be
>> able to
>> use it, and if so, how?
>>
>> Phil

> Hello Phil,
> You are supposed to be able to get TweakUI working in Vista.
> Go here and take a look, i dont know if it will help, or work, i have
> never tried it, but it just might cure your problem.
> Good luck and post your results.
>

> 'TweakUI for Vista (x64 too!) | PC Tips'
> (http://www.pctipsbox.com/tweakui-for-vista-x64-too/)
>

> --
> stoneys-nutz

Phil B.

Re: How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.

Thank to everyone who gave suggested solutions. I'm having some hardware
problems with my brand new HP. HP telephone support has already reset to
factory build on me once, so I won't
be doing anything to my PC until I'm sure they have it fixed. I'll be
watching it for a week or so to see if the problem comes back.

Phil

"Bob" wrote:

> http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/
>
> "stoneys-nutz" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Phil B.;1107688 Wrote:
> >> In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was
> >> still
> >> able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've
> >> tried
> >> to hide a drive with registry
> >> tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)
> >> and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways
> >> leave
> >> hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if they truely do not exist.
> >> Can
> >> anyone tell me is it possible to hide a drive in Vista and still be
> >> able to
> >> use it, and if so, how?
> >>
> >> Phil

> > Hello Phil,
> > You are supposed to be able to get TweakUI working in Vista.
> > Go here and take a look, i dont know if it will help, or work, i have
> > never tried it, but it just might cure your problem.
> > Good luck and post your results.
> >

> > 'TweakUI for Vista (x64 too!) | PC Tips'
> > (http://www.pctipsbox.com/tweakui-for-vista-x64-too/)
> >

> > --
> > stoneys-nutz

NumberOneMario&Yoshi&WarioBrosFan

Re: How to Hide Drive in Vista and Still Be Able to Use it.
Well, you could possibly find a way to password-protect it, but that not
might be possible, but still it could be.

"Phil B." <PhilB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> In XP I could use TweakUI to hide a disk drive from the kids and was still
> able to use the hidden drive. There is no TweakUI for Vista and I've
> tried
> to hide a drive with registry
> tweaks(HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Window s\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer)
> and via command prompt (using diskpart). The problem is that both ways
> leave
> hidden drives that are not usable. It's as if they truely do not exist.
> Can
> anyone tell me is it possible to hide a drive in Vista and still be able
> use it, and if so, how?
>
> Phil

Bob