Cannot change drive letter via Disk management

Krakapo

Cannot change drive letter via Disk management

All - XP PC died, taken the hard drive and placed into external USB cage
and plugged into Vista laptop. I cannot see it in My computer but under
disk management I can see it as a disk and a healthy operating
partition, but it has no drive letter and I am unable to change the
drive letter as the only option I have is the delete command. My
presumption is that as this was the master boot record on my XP PC, this
is the reason why I cannot change the drive letter? But I am unsure.

I have 90% of the data backed up on a seperate USB drive, but it's the
10% especially some recent video and photos that I want off the drive.

--
Krakapo
zigzag3143

Re: Cannot change drive letter via Disk management

Krakapo;1104762 Wrote:
> All - XP PC died, taken the hard drive and placed into external USB cage
> and plugged into Vista laptop. I cannot see it in My computer but under
> disk management I can see it as a disk and a healthy operating
> partition, but it has no drive letter and I am unable to change the
> drive letter as the only option I have is the delete command. My
> presumption is that as this was the master boot record on my XP PC, this
> is the reason why I cannot change the drive letter? But I am unsure.
>
> I have 90% of the data backed up on a seperate USB drive, but it's the
> 10% especially some recent video and photos that I want off the drive.

Krakapo

What was the drive formated in xp (NTFS?) If the other 10% of the data
is critical, and you have the room make a clone of the drive. If not
ther are 3rd party apps that can label it assign a letter, move it, etc
. Parigon disk suite 2009 has a free trial, partition magic is also
free. Parigon is better at MBR problems. If there truely is an mbr
problem there are 3rd party apps that specialize in fixing it

Hope this helps

Ken

--
zigzag3143
David Vair

Re: Cannot change drive letter via Disk management
Its is most likely an ownership issue as the XP drive is NTFS.

This solution is for XP, but the steps are the same in Vista.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

--
David Vair
CNE, CNA, MCP, A+, N+