Vista Audio

Bob Scott

Vista Audio
I'm tired of trying to get all the features to work in my Creative Labs SB
X-FI. The only driver that works just allows the sound card to output audio
all the other features are gone and from what I see and hear, Creatve could
care less.

Is there a full featured sound card (EQ, Line inputs, Etc.) that will work
with Vista ultimate, either outboard or internal?
babaloo

Re: Vista Audio
If you are talking about the software that comes with Creative sound cards,
as opposed to just the drivers themselves, all I can say is: lotsa luck.
I experienced similar problems with Audigy 1 and 2 cards under XP, the
drivers work but only some of the Creative software for controlling sound
card functions work.
Often the Creative self test software would fail to identify that a Creative
card was installed in the system, one of my all time favorite bugs. Device
manager identifies the cards properly and says they are working properly
because the basic drivers work, which is all Device Manager sees.
Creative was of no help, denied the problem existed, said that the behavior
seen under the self test was either normal or could not happen, and asserts
there was nothing wrong with the sound cards at all because the basic
drivers worked. I tried these cards in AMD and Intel systems with a variety
of chip sets and only once got one Audigy 2 card to work properly with all
the supplied software.
I have two Audigy cards sitting in my drawer right now.
Whatever the limits of motherboard based sound at least it works like its
supposed to.
Remember your experience every time you read a positive review of Creative
sound cards and think about whether the same might apply to positive reviews
of other software and hardware products, particularly Vista.

FusionGuy

Re: Vista Audio
On Apr 30, 10:40 am, Bob Scott <BobSc...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> I'm tired of trying to get all the features to work in my Creative Labs SB
> X-FI. The only driver that works just allows the sound card to output audio
> all the other features are gone and from what I see and hear, Creatve could
> care less.
>
> Is there a full featured sound card (EQ, Line inputs, Etc.) that will work
> with Vista ultimate, either outboard or internal?

I've heard good things about the b-Enspirer card. The chip on it is
geared towards home theater and music enthusiasts more so than for
gaming. I guess it all depends on what you place the most value on.
I too have a X-Fi card and while the card works okay, they still don't
have updated software that works with Vista. Also, my system hangs
when trying to put it into an S1 or S3 sleep state.

Here's the link for the b-Enspirer card: http://www.bluegears.com/b-Enspirer.html

dev

Re: Vista Audio
/babaloo/ said:
> If you are talking about the software that comes with Creative sound cards,
> as opposed to just the drivers themselves, all I can say is: lotsa luck.
> I experienced similar problems with Audigy 1 and 2 cards under XP, the
> drivers work but only some of the Creative software for controlling sound
> card functions work.
> Often the Creative self test software would fail to identify that a Creative
> card was installed in the system, one of my all time favorite bugs. Device
> manager identifies the cards properly and says they are working properly
> because the basic drivers work, which is all Device Manager sees.
> Creative was of no help, denied the problem existed, said that the behavior
> seen under the self test was either normal or could not happen, and asserts
> there was nothing wrong with the sound cards at all because the basic
> drivers worked. I tried these cards in AMD and Intel systems with a variety
> of chip sets and only once got one Audigy 2 card to work properly with all
> the supplied software.
> I have two Audigy cards sitting in my drawer right now.
> Whatever the limits of motherboard based sound at least it works like its
> supposed to.
> Remember your experience every time you read a positive review of Creative
> sound cards and think about whether the same might apply to positive reviews
> of other software and hardware products, particularly Vista.

Release notes for Creative's Audigy cards have stated that bundled
software is not functional in Vista, but hinted that it may be at some
future date. Don't stay awake nights waiting...