Hard drive drivers

Diamontina Cocktail

Hard drive drivers
I am constantly attaching new HDs to my computer via a USB interface. Under
XP, if I attach a new (as in new to the system. The drive may be new or
used) HD, XP would say it had found a new device, locate the driver on my C
drive and then install it and tell me it is ready. Under Vista, I have to
click through a series of questions such as "Install driver", "Don't search
online", "I don't have a disk", "search my hard drive" which I then always
have set to system32 folder whereupon the driver is found and the hard drive
installed and ready to use with my system.

What goes on here? Have I done something wrong? If I haven't, why do I have
to keep playing questions and answers when, under XP, I never did?

Any help appreciated.

Don

Re: Hard drive drivers
Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
> I am constantly attaching new HDs to my computer via a USB interface.
> Under XP, if I attach a new (as in new to the system. The drive may be
> new or used) HD, XP would say it had found a new device, locate the
> driver on my C drive and then install it and tell me it is ready. Under
> Vista, I have to click through a series of questions such as "Install
> driver", "Don't search online", "I don't have a disk", "search my hard
> drive" which I then always have set to system32 folder whereupon the
> driver is found and the hard drive installed and ready to use with my
> system.
>
> What goes on here? Have I done something wrong? If I haven't, why do I
> have to keep playing questions and answers when, under XP, I never did?

Yes, it's a Vista bug, and MS is working on a fix. Meanwhile, the fix
is to delete your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 because it is most likely
corrupted. You will need to edit its file permissions to grant Full
Control to the Users group before you can delete it.

Please post back with your results, positive or negative.

Thanks.

Charles W

Re: Hard drive drivers

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
>> I am constantly attaching new HDs to my computer via a USB interface.
>> Under XP, if I attach a new (as in new to the system. The drive may be
>> new or used) HD, XP would say it had found a new device, locate the
>> driver on my C drive and then install it and tell me it is ready. Under
>> Vista, I have to click through a series of questions such as "Install
>> driver", "Don't search online", "I don't have a disk", "search my hard
>> drive" which I then always have set to system32 folder whereupon the
>> driver is found and the hard drive installed and ready to use with my
>> system.
>>
>> What goes on here? Have I done something wrong? If I haven't, why do I
>> have to keep playing questions and answers when, under XP, I never did?

> Yes, it's a Vista bug, and MS is working on a fix.

They had the evaluation version out for _how_ long, yet now there is _still_
a bug of this nature in the retail release? How very...Microsoft...

Noozer

Re: Hard drive drivers

>>> What goes on here? Have I done something wrong? If I haven't, why do I
>>> have to keep playing questions and answers when, under XP, I never did?

>> Yes, it's a Vista bug, and MS is working on a fix.

> They had the evaluation version out for _how_ long, yet now there is
> _still_ a bug of this nature in the retail release? How
> very...Microsoft...

Yup... Vista is going to cost Microsoft a lot of customers.

babaloo

Re: Hard drive drivers
Feleting the infcache file is a standard Microsoft recommendation for
hardware problems or when Vista drivers fail to install or fail to be
recognized by the OS as Vista drivers.
This sounds like it should work but in the Microsoft Universe naught is as
it seems.
In the real world it can be impossible to delete this file because of the
hit/ mostly miss security built into Vista.
Even if you boot from the installation DVD Vista still may not let you
delete this file: been there, done that.
And even if you do delete the file do not feel as if you have arrived in The
Promised Land.
More likely than not nothing will change.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Hard drive drivers

"babaloo" <fac187@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:fkoZh.3120$HX7.2884@newssvr19.news.prodigy.ne t...
> Feleting the infcache file is a standard Microsoft recommendation for
> hardware problems or when Vista drivers fail to install or fail to be
> recognized by the OS as Vista drivers.
> This sounds like it should work but in the Microsoft Universe naught is as
> it seems.
> In the real world it can be impossible to delete this file because of the
> hit/ mostly miss security built into Vista.
> Even if you boot from the installation DVD Vista still may not let you
> delete this file: been there, done that.
> And even if you do delete the file do not feel as if you have arrived in
> The Promised Land.
> More likely than not nothing will change.

Dunno why you think changing permissions is hard. I just went in and did
that then renamed the file to its own name plus OLD at the end. I could only
do that after editing permissions of course, not before.

Diamontina Cocktail

Re: Hard drive drivers

"Don" <don195702@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Diamontina Cocktail wrote:
>> I am constantly attaching new HDs to my computer via a USB interface.
>> Under XP, if I attach a new (as in new to the system. The drive may be
>> new or used) HD, XP would say it had found a new device, locate the
>> driver on my C drive and then install it and tell me it is ready. Under
>> Vista, I have to click through a series of questions such as "Install
>> driver", "Don't search online", "I don't have a disk", "search my hard
>> drive" which I then always have set to system32 folder whereupon the
>> driver is found and the hard drive installed and ready to use with my
>> system.
>>
>> What goes on here? Have I done something wrong? If I haven't, why do I
>> have to keep playing questions and answers when, under XP, I never did?

> Yes, it's a Vista bug, and MS is working on a fix. Meanwhile, the fix
> is to delete your C:\windows\inf\INFCACHE.1 because it is most likely
> corrupted. You will need to edit its file permissions to grant Full
> Control to the Users group before you can delete it.
>
> Please post back with your results, positive or negative.
>
> Thanks.

Just renamed it to see what happens.