Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

Scott

Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)
I recently upgraded to Windows vista. After doing so, my line in for my
sound is no longer working! my volume mixer doesnt show anything as if its
muted, its not even there.

When I right click, and select playback, it only shows speakers /
headphones, checked as if working properly, no line in is visible.

When select the recording tab, it shows my microphone as working, and
checked. underneith it shows my line in, but says "currently unavailable",
and it is not checked. (and wont let me configure). When I look further
into it, and right click, selecting properties, It says (under controller
properties) that it is working properly! It also shows that the jack
information as rear panel 3.5 mm jack (its not, its a traditional jack like a
headset or microphone utilizes. under device usage: it shows use this device
(enable).

Im sure there is some way for me to "enable" my line in jack so the sound
from my other devices comes through, but i do not know where to go.

I have a sigmatel driver. I sat through Dell customer support and
downloaded the new Driver that works for sigmatel, uninstalled the driver,
reinstalled. Also retrieved a driver directly from sigmatel for the issue,
and still nothing. This is why I presume there is just a simple setting
somewhere.

Any idea what im missing?
brink

Re: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

I'm taking a guess here, so forgive me. I'm using RealTek. It sounds
close to the same options, but mine as a thing where it must be set as
DEFAULT. Even though it is enabled. ????

Hope it helps,
Shawn

--
brink

Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM
Scott

Re: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)
Unfortunatly, I have tried that avenue as well and failed. Where my mic is,
underneith it shows the microphone as "working". Under where it shows the
line in, it shows as "currently unavailable".

I have seen some new things written that express a binary change in the
regedit, but all posts that show this fix, do not have my make or model
computer. I have tried on the Dell websites as well. Just very frustrating I
am sure you can understand.
brink

Re: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

Hi Scott,

Sorry to hear that. Did you increase the volume level & unmute the
Playback settings. That was how I got my audio to play through the
speakers from the INLINE or micIN.

Shawn

--
brink

"Practice makes perfect, then you reinstall"
Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 533 Mhz (PC4200) RAM
ed22

RE: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)
I fixed this problem on my Dell E520 by editing the registry to enable
LineInputMonitoring.

http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../30/13109.aspx
(halfway down many msgs) has the detailed procedure.

I still can't get Record What You Hear as in XP. Anybody have a fix for that?
Walt an upset new DELL w/Vista owner

RE: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)
Forget it Scott... No Easy Fixes as yet that I know. I have done all that
you noted and downloaded a 94MB file from a sound card vendor that was
suggested in another forum. Hopefully MS or Sigmatel one will listen to the
users who are upset and do something about sound volume and record mixer
problems soon. Right now they all seem to be more interested in selling
products that are not compatable than assisting users who get roped into
buying systems that have an OEM version of Vista already installed.

"Scott" wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Windows vista. After doing so, my line in for my
> sound is no longer working! my volume mixer doesnt show anything as if its
> muted, its not even there.
>
> When I right click, and select playback, it only shows speakers /
> headphones, checked as if working properly, no line in is visible.
>
> When select the recording tab, it shows my microphone as working, and
> checked. underneith it shows my line in, but says "currently unavailable",
> and it is not checked. (and wont let me configure). When I look further
> into it, and right click, selecting properties, It says (under controller
> properties) that it is working properly! It also shows that the jack
> information as rear panel 3.5 mm jack (its not, its a traditional jack like a
> headset or microphone utilizes. under device usage: it shows use this device
> (enable).
>
> Im sure there is some way for me to "enable" my line in jack so the sound
> from my other devices comes through, but i do not know where to go.
>
> I have a sigmatel driver. I sat through Dell customer support and
> downloaded the new Driver that works for sigmatel, uninstalled the driver,
> reinstalled. Also retrieved a driver directly from sigmatel for the issue,
> and still nothing. This is why I presume there is just a simple setting
> somewhere.
>
> Any idea what im missing?

josh.dahlhauser

Re: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)

Try re-installing vista sigmatel driver from dells support site. I had
the same problem. When you plug in a cable to the line in jack you
should get a popup window that asks how you want to use the jack. (as
line in or mic). This only works if the software is installed properly.

Josh

--
josh.dahlhauser
josh.dahlhauser's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=26832

http://forums.techarena.in

Mike in Chicago Subs

RE: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)
For the Vista system, the registry key you're looking for is
"EnableInputMonitor". This is changed from 00 to 01, and a reboot is
required. However, the post/link listed below is excellent and solves the
problem. Don't know why this is disabled by default and it takes a rocket
scientist to correct, but then we'll never know!

"ed22" wrote:

> I fixed this problem on my Dell E520 by editing the registry to enable
> LineInputMonitoring.
>
> http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archi.../30/13109.aspx
> (halfway down many msgs) has the detailed procedure.
>
> I still can't get Record What You Hear as in XP. Anybody have a fix for that?

sirishti

"Scott" wrote:

> I recently upgraded to Windows vista. After doing so, my line in for my
> sound is no longer working! my volume mixer doesnt show anything as if its
> muted, its not even there.
>
> When I right click, and select playback, it only shows speakers /
> headphones, checked as if working properly, no line in is visible.
>
> When select the recording tab, it shows my microphone as working, and
> checked. underneith it shows my line in, but says "currently unavailable",
> and it is not checked. (and wont let me configure). When I look further
> into it, and right click, selecting properties, It says (under controller
> properties) that it is working properly! It also shows that the jack
> information as rear panel 3.5 mm jack (its not, its a traditional jack like a
> headset or microphone utilizes. under device usage: it shows use this device
> (enable).
>
> Im sure there is some way for me to "enable" my line in jack so the sound
> from my other devices comes through, but i do not know where to go.
>
> I have a sigmatel driver. I sat through Dell customer support and
> downloaded the new Driver that works for sigmatel, uninstalled the driver,
> reinstalled. Also retrieved a driver directly from sigmatel for the issue,
> and still nothing. This is why I presume there is just a simple setting
> somewhere.
>
> Any idea what im missing?

Cal Bear '66

Re: Sound problems with the line in for vista (sigmatel)
Right click on the Speaker icon in the Notification Area of the Taskbar, select
Recording Devices, in an empty area of the Recording Devices window, right click
and make sure that both "Show Disconnected Devices" and "Show Disabled Devices"
are checked.

--
I Bleed Blue and Gold
GO BEARS!