Maxtor External Drive not recognized

Sally

Maxtor External Drive not recognized
Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
Vista Premium OS
USB 2

How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in Device
Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".

My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Peter Foldes

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
Sally

You cannot boot to Vista or any other OS from an external Hard Drive

--
Peter

"Sally" <sallys@mts.net> wrote in message news:O9AjbObiHHA.3452@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
> Vista Premium OS
> USB 2
>
> How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in Device
> Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
>
> My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Sally

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
I do not want to use the external drive to boot from - only as a storage
drive.

Rick Rogers

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
Hi,

Code 10 means it's missing supporting drivers. You may need to update the
firewire drivers with Vista compatible ones from the card maker or
motherboard manufacturer.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sally" <sallys@mts.net> wrote in message
> Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
> Vista Premium OS
> USB 2
>
> How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in
> Device
> Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
>
> My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Mike Byrns

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
Wow. That's a broad statement. You can boot Windows XP, Linux and MacOSX
from compatible Firewire drives with the proper BIOS support. Booting from
USB is even easier. The truth is, you can't boot from removable storage in
Vista just too keep the DRM-holders happy. If you could boot from a giant
external HDD you could make their media portable -- bring it to a friend's
house for a private showing of media that was licensed for your use only.
This is purely a business decision on the part of Microsoft to convince
media companies that they can be like Apple an be trusted as a digital media
delivery platform.

Sally

You cannot boot to Vista or any other OS from an external Hard Drive

--
Peter

"Sally" <sallys@mts.net> wrote in message
> Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
> Vista Premium OS
> USB 2
>
> How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in
> Device
> Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
>
> My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Neil Harley

Sally wrote:
> Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
> Vista Premium OS
> USB 2
>
> How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in
> Device Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code
> 10)".
>
> My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Try uninstalling the drive from Device Manager and reboot. I run a 500GB
Maxtor USB drive with no problems so they do work. Mine isn't the One Touch
model but I doubt that would be the issue.

Richard Urban

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
You couldn't boot Windows XP from an external USB drive either.

--

Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from George Ankner:

"Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
> Wow. That's a broad statement. You can boot Windows XP, Linux and MacOSX
> from compatible Firewire drives with the proper BIOS support. Booting
> from USB is even easier. The truth is, you can't boot from removable
> storage in Vista just too keep the DRM-holders happy. If you could boot
> from a giant external HDD you could make their media portable -- bring it
> to a friend's house for a private showing of media that was licensed for
> your use only. This is purely a business decision on the part of Microsoft
> to convince media companies that they can be like Apple an be trusted as a
> digital media delivery platform.
>
> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Sally
>
> You cannot boot to Vista or any other OS from an external Hard Drive
>
> --
> Peter

> "Sally" <sallys@mts.net> wrote in message
>> Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
>> Vista Premium OS
>> USB 2
>>
>> How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in
>> Device
>> Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
>>
>> My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Mike Byrns

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
Sure you can. I carry XP around on my keyring...

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

> You couldn't boot Windows XP from an external USB drive either.
>
> --
>

> Regards,
>
> Richard Urban
> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>
> Quote from George Ankner:
>
> "Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
>> Wow. That's a broad statement. You can boot Windows XP, Linux and
>> MacOSX from compatible Firewire drives with the proper BIOS support.
>> Booting from USB is even easier. The truth is, you can't boot from
>> removable storage in Vista just too keep the DRM-holders happy. If you
>> could boot from a giant external HDD you could make their media
>> portable -- bring it to a friend's house for a private showing of media
>> that was licensed for your use only. This is purely a business decision
>> on the part of Microsoft to convince media companies that they can be
>> like Apple an be trusted as a digital media delivery platform.
>>
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Sally
>>
>> You cannot boot to Vista or any other OS from an external Hard Drive
>>
>> --
>> Peter

>> "Sally" <sallys@mts.net> wrote in message
>>> Maxtor One Touch 111 Firewire 400/USB 300 GB Portable Drive.
>>> Vista Premium OS
>>> USB 2
>>>
>>> How do I get my drive to be recognized? Yellow exclamation mark in
>>> Device
>>> Manager with error message "This device cannot start. (Code 10)".
>>>
>>> My Maxtor Drive worked flawlessly under XP.

Richard Urban

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
That is not Windows XP. That is Windows XP PE.

Big difference.

--

> Sure you can. I carry XP around on my keyring...
>
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

>> You couldn't boot Windows XP from an external USB drive either.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Richard Urban
>> Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Quote from George Ankner:
>>
>> "Mike Byrns" <mike.byrns@technologist.com> wrote in message
>>> Wow. That's a broad statement. You can boot Windows XP, Linux and
>>> MacOSX from compatible Firewire drives with the proper BIOS support.
>>> Booting from USB is even easier. The truth is, you can't boot from
>>> removable storage in Vista just too keep the DRM-holders happy. If you
>>> could boot from a giant external HDD you could make their media
>>> portable -- bring it to a friend's house for a private showing of media
>>> that was licensed for your use only. This is purely a business decision
>>> on the part of Microsoft to convince media companies that they can be
>>> like Apple an be trusted as a digital media delivery platform.
>>>
>>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Sally
>>>
>>> You cannot boot to Vista or any other OS from an external Hard Drive
>>>
>>> --
>>> Peter
>>>
>>> Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others
>>> Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged.

Peter Foldes

Re: Maxtor External Drive not recognized
Mike

And the statement stands. You cannot boot XP or Vista or W2K3 W2K W98 etc from an external Hard Drive media.

--
Peter