Sata DVD don't recognize blank media

Randy T

Sata DVD don't recognize blank media
Help, I have two different SATA DVD RW drives and when I insert a blank CD or
DVD it just sits there lighting up the HD and does nothing else. It sees
regular DVDs just not blank media. I do not have any DVD writing software
installed. I do have iTunes. I do not have Daemon tools. I tries a Samsung
S183L and an ASUS DVD RW drive and neither of them work. What else can I do?
I may go back to XP!

brink

Re: Sata DVD don't recognize blank media

Make sure you have AUTO PLAY turned on for DVD properties in Device
Manager. Plus, make sure the Service is started & on automatic.
Service name is "Shell Hardware Detection".

--
brink

Vista 64 Home Premium
1.5 Gig DDR2 (PC4200) RAM
Don

Randy T wrote:
> Help, I have two different SATA DVD RW drives and when I insert a blank CD or
> DVD it just sits there lighting up the HD and does nothing else. It sees
> regular DVDs just not blank media. I do not have any DVD writing software
> installed. I do have iTunes...

I have no personal experience with this bug, but I've seen several posts
implicating iTunes in very similar problems. Might be worth your time
to uninstall iTunes as an experiment.

Randy T

Re: Sata DVD don't recognize blank media
Thanks,
I solved the problem.... It was not a fault of Vista! I did two things,
first, I updated my SATA motherboard drivers (ASUS M2N32 SLI Premium Vista
Edition) and then I noticed that the drives showed up as PATA when I looked
at them in the BIOS. Even though they are SATA (both DVD and DVD-RW). I had
disabled the PATA drivers in the BIOS when I set it up. I figured since I was
not using any PATA drives, I might as well turn it off. So I re-enabled the
PATA. Well I'm not sure which individual thing fixed this problem, but It's
fixed. I did also note that if you have any software that creates a virtual
drive this same problem will occur. This happened after I got the issue
fixed. Later I had to prevent Intervideo DVDCopy from creating a virtual
drive. When it did, the DVD recorder would not recognize a blank disk.

Thanks to all who responded to my problem.

I hope this helps anyone else that has this same problem. "Don't disable the
PATA in your BIOS" and "Update your motherboard drivers"

Thanks,

Randy T