hard disk partitioning

Sunny Jacob

hard disk partitioning
Hi, I've just bought a laptop from hp with an 80 gb hard disk and windows
Vista.

I want to partition the hard drive into 2 drives... around 40 gb each, but
the built-in partition program only lets me great a partition around
5gb....?!?!

I've been told that i can use a third party software to achieve the desired
result, but then i need to repair vista using the setup disk...

i only have 'recovery' software from my laptop manufacturer, which
essentially puts everything back to how it was when i got the pc...

please tell me what is the solution... and why does vista need ~70gb?
Rick Rogers

Re: hard disk partitioning
Hi,

The space may be being reserved. Disable Hibernation and System Restore
temporarily (note that doing this causes the loss of all current restore
points), then reboot and run diskmgmt.msc. You should then be able to shrink
the system volume sufficiently to create the desired second one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Sunny Jacob" <Sunny Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, I've just bought a laptop from hp with an 80 gb hard disk and windows
> Vista.
>
> I want to partition the hard drive into 2 drives... around 40 gb each, but
> the built-in partition program only lets me great a partition around
> 5gb....?!?!
>
> I've been told that i can use a third party software to achieve the
> desired
> result, but then i need to repair vista using the setup disk...
>
> i only have 'recovery' software from my laptop manufacturer, which
> essentially puts everything back to how it was when i got the pc...
>
> please tell me what is the solution... and why does vista need ~70gb?

Sunny Jacob

Re: hard disk partitioning
Hi Rick, thanks for the reply, however it didn't work...

I found out how to disable hibernate (command promt in admin mode: powercfg
-h off)

just in case i also changed the advanced settings in my power profile aswell
so that none of the options used hibernate

And I disable system restore on all drives.

then i restarted and ran the program like you said, right clicked my windows
partition (70gb) and clicked on "shrink this volume", but the shrink button
is grayed out and the up and down arrows in the "enter the amount of disk
space you want to shrink..."

i've just read in the same dialog that the pagefile may also be taking up
space, I will now disable that and restart again to see if it makes a
difference. (however i think i tried that last time to no avail)

please help, many thanks!

Sunny

"Rick Rogers" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The space may be being reserved. Disable Hibernation and System Restore
> temporarily (note that doing this causes the loss of all current restore
> points), then reboot and run diskmgmt.msc. You should then be able to shrink
> the system volume sufficiently to create the desired second one.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Sunny Jacob" <Sunny Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, I've just bought a laptop from hp with an 80 gb hard disk and windows
> > Vista.
> >
> > I want to partition the hard drive into 2 drives... around 40 gb each, but
> > the built-in partition program only lets me great a partition around
> > 5gb....?!?!
> >
> > I've been told that i can use a third party software to achieve the
> > desired
> > result, but then i need to repair vista using the setup disk...
> >
> > i only have 'recovery' software from my laptop manufacturer, which
> > essentially puts everything back to how it was when i got the pc...
> >
> > please tell me what is the solution... and why does vista need ~70gb?

Sunny Jacob

Re: hard disk partitioning
just tried without pagefile aswell and still no change...

so to recap i've currently got 1 80gb hard disk (formatted ~75gb)
the drive is split into 2 partitions,
1 (vista) = 70gb, (65% empty)
2 (empty) = 5gb, (100% empty)

i've tried to shink the vista volume with pagefiles turned off, system
restore off on all drives and hibernate turned off...

but vista say i cannot reduce the size lower than 70gb...?

why it need so much space?

many thanks in advance, please respond asap, best regards,

Sunny

"Sunny Jacob" wrote:

> Hi Rick, thanks for the reply, however it didn't work...
>
> I found out how to disable hibernate (command promt in admin mode: powercfg
> -h off)
>
> just in case i also changed the advanced settings in my power profile aswell
> so that none of the options used hibernate
>
> And I disable system restore on all drives.
>
> then i restarted and ran the program like you said, right clicked my windows
> partition (70gb) and clicked on "shrink this volume", but the shrink button
> is grayed out and the up and down arrows in the "enter the amount of disk
> space you want to shrink..."
>
> i've just read in the same dialog that the pagefile may also be taking up
> space, I will now disable that and restart again to see if it makes a
> difference. (however i think i tried that last time to no avail)
>
> please help, many thanks!
>
> Sunny
>

> "Rick Rogers" wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > The space may be being reserved. Disable Hibernation and System Restore
> > temporarily (note that doing this causes the loss of all current restore
> > points), then reboot and run diskmgmt.msc. You should then be able to shrink
> > the system volume sufficiently to create the desired second one.
> >
> > --
> > Best of Luck,

> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
> > My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com
> >
> > "Sunny Jacob" <Sunny Jacob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hi, I've just bought a laptop from hp with an 80 gb hard disk and windows
> > > Vista.
> > >
> > > I want to partition the hard drive into 2 drives... around 40 gb each, but
> > > the built-in partition program only lets me great a partition around
> > > 5gb....?!?!
> > >
> > > I've been told that i can use a third party software to achieve the
> > > desired
> > > result, but then i need to repair vista using the setup disk...
> > >
> > > i only have 'recovery' software from my laptop manufacturer, which
> > > essentially puts everything back to how it was when i got the pc...
> > >
> > > please tell me what is the solution... and why does vista need ~70gb?

Jawade

Re: hard disk partitioning
In article <91958EA0-84C5-429D-9552-4709AA7D3825@microsoft.com>, =?Utf-8?B?U3VubnkgSmFjb2I=?= <SunnyJacob@discussions.microsoft.com> says...
> just tried without pagefile aswell and still no change...
>
> so to recap i've currently got 1 80gb hard disk (formatted ~75gb)
> the drive is split into 2 partitions,
> 1 (vista) = 70gb, (65% empty)
> 2 (empty) = 5gb, (100% empty)
>
> i've tried to shink the vista volume with pagefiles turned off, system
> restore off on all drives and hibernate turned off...
>
> but vista say i cannot reduce the size lower than 70gb...?
>
> why it need so much space?
>
> many thanks in advance, please respond asap, best regards,

There are at the distance 70 GB one or more files who cannot
replaced. Maybe defragmenting will help.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten, Jawade. Bootmanager ook voor Vista
Zin in een koffie- thee- of borrelpraatje? Kom naar alt.jawade.nl
Don

Re: hard disk partitioning
Sunny Jacob wrote:
> Hi, I've just bought a laptop from hp with an 80 gb hard disk and windows
> Vista.
>
> I want to partition the hard drive into 2 drives... around 40 gb each, but
> the built-in partition program only lets me great a partition around
> 5gb....?!?!
>
> I've been told that i can use a third party software to achieve the desired
> result, but then i need to repair vista using the setup disk...
>
> i only have 'recovery' software from my laptop manufacturer, which
> essentially puts everything back to how it was when i got the pc...
>
> please tell me what is the solution... and why does vista need ~70gb?

Vista needs about 15GB per MS's advice. I see you've already had
several responses to your question, and I don't disagree with any of them.

But I use Disk Directory by Acronis to do exactly this sort of chore,
so I know it will work. They will let you use DD for 30 days for free.

Sunny Jacob

Re: hard disk partitioning
Thanks for the tips guys,

i did try to do the defragmentation, however the interface didn't show me
what was going on... no estimate of time required or even a progress bar, it
just looked like the program had crashed or something...?

maybe i'll let it run over night and see if it finishes in the morning...

the drive shouldn't be too bad, i've only had the laptop less than a month...

Re: third party partitioning software: unfortunately i've seen it written in
many tutorials that that is possible, but the vista setup cd is required to
repair vista before it will run again, unfortunately i wasn't given a setup
disk with my purchase, on recovery cds... which i'm told just reverts
everything back to hp factory settings... deleting all programs, files etc...

I can't risk trying that in case i can't get back into the computer again...
if anyone from microsoft can confirm this is a safe procedure, i'll try it,
but if i can't get back into the pc, i'll be stuck....

or can i get a setup cd, or somesort of boot cd with the vista
repair/recovery program..?, please advise...

many thanks!!

Sunny