KVM Switch Mouse Port and Vista Business

Howard

KVM Switch Mouse Port and Vista Business
I am using a KVM switch for my Vista Business computer and my former XP SP2
computer as not all of the devices were compatable. I am not able to get my
USB mouse to work with both computers. I am using an adapter to change the
usb to a ps2 access for the KVM swithch. Has anyone experienced this
difficulty and if so, how do you correct. Is this a Vista bug. At this time
my work around is using two mouses.
--
Howard
Malke

Re: KVM Switch Mouse Port and Vista Business
Howard wrote:
> I am using a KVM switch for my Vista Business computer and my former XP SP2
> computer as not all of the devices were compatable. I am not able to get my
> USB mouse to work with both computers. I am using an adapter to change the
> usb to a ps2 access for the KVM swithch. Has anyone experienced this
> difficulty and if so, how do you correct. Is this a Vista bug. At this time
> my work around is using two mouses.

All I can tell you is this behavior happens with some mice, some
computers, some operating systems, and some KVM's. For instance,
occasionally I run across a client's machine (usually a Dell for some
reason) that won't play nice with my older KVM. I just use a
mouse/keyboard connected directly in that case. I had a machine running
SUSE/KDE and KDE would go crazy every time I switched back and forth -
solution was to use a separate mouse, the keyboard through the KVM was
fine. My experience with usb-ps/2 adapters to KVM switches is that they
don't work very well. Either use an older mouse that is natively ps/2 or
get a KVM that supports usb mice.

Sorry not to have a more definitive answer for you, but that's my
experience with KVM's. It isn't necessarily a Vista issue although as I
said above, whatever window manager (or gui in Vista's case) you are
using may also play a part.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com
Steve Urbach

Re: KVM Switch Mouse Port and Vista Business
On Sat, 28 Apr 2007 08:04:02 -0700, Howard
<Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I am using a KVM switch for my Vista Business computer and my former XP SP2
>computer as not all of the devices were compatable. I am not able to get my
>USB mouse to work with both computers. I am using an adapter to change the
>usb to a ps2 access for the KVM swithch. Has anyone experienced this
>difficulty and if so, how do you correct. Is this a Vista bug. At this time
>my work around is using two mouses.

Just so I have this right.

1) USB Mouse
2) Both computers PS/2
3) Using a PS/2 version of KVM

I am running 2 complete 4 port combinations of the above. with
multiple, different O/S on the computers.

One KVM is a Airlink "slim" 4-port. This one is very touchy and
*may*fail to respond (switch, Button or Keyboard) if I include a
adapter to allow PS/2 devices to be used on a USB only laptop.
Note I said MAY. Sometimes it works great.

I have tried using a optional external power adapter. It does not
seem to matter if 1 or All ports are connected to powered PC's.
The KVM uses "custom" detachable cables (one connector at KVM and
standard ends at PC)

The other 4 port KVM is blue with2 sets of port connectors coming off
each side and the KVM connected to one end (the other end has a
optional power connection). There is a button in the middle.
I have seen this unit under many branding's. It was not expensive, it
is SOLID in operation with any combination of PS/2 devices and
adapters. It uses common cables with Male 15pin and PS/2 (DIN) at both
ends
..
My suggestion is replace (different brand, borrow for the test) the
USB mouse. If that works, you know what to do <G> .

If that other computer is XP PRO, forget the KVM, Just use Remote
Desktop Connection from Vista to the XP machine (It works the other
way also, but you probably have the hottest hardware on the Vista box,
so why not use it). You might have to fight Norton's firewall to get
RDC to run (if you have that bloating your machine).

Rick Rogers

Re: KVM Switch Mouse Port and Vista Business
Hi,

Some USB mice will not accept the converter to a PS/2 port (even though they
fit).

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Howard" <Howard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am using a KVM switch for my Vista Business computer and my former XP SP2
> computer as not all of the devices were compatable. I am not able to get
> my
> USB mouse to work with both computers. I am using an adapter to change the
> usb to a ps2 access for the KVM swithch. Has anyone experienced this
> difficulty and if so, how do you correct. Is this a Vista bug. At this
> time
> my work around is using two mouses.
> --
> Howard