Problem with camcorder ...need help with firewire

Leighznich

Problem with camcorder ...need help with firewire
I posted this on the general discussion board as well.

I have a new Panasonic PV-GS300 mini dv camcorder which I purchased in
December, 4 months before I purchased my new laptop which runs Vista.
Apparently Panasonic didn't foresee the release of Vista and so does not have
any patches or software updates that are compatible.

I read on another board of a gentleman that had a similar issue with his
Samsung camcorder and was able to get it installed on his computer through
the use of a firewire, and Vista carried the appropriate drivers for him. I
have a firewire but have no idea how to use it! Can someone please help me
get this resolved so that I can upload video.

Thanks!
BigJim

Re: Problem with camcorder ...need help with firewire
first who made your system, need to know for drivers get you in the right
direction, then install drivers
second if it is an onboard firewire it must be enabled in the bios, maybe
installed by default.
third you need a firewire cable, bestbuy, radio shack take you camera with
you to get the right one.
fourth then just plug it in and it should work. I use mine with Windows
Movie Maker

"Leighznich" <Leighznich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I posted this on the general discussion board as well.
>
> I have a new Panasonic PV-GS300 mini dv camcorder which I purchased in
> December, 4 months before I purchased my new laptop which runs Vista.
> Apparently Panasonic didn't foresee the release of Vista and so does not
> have
> any patches or software updates that are compatible.
>
> I read on another board of a gentleman that had a similar issue with his
> Samsung camcorder and was able to get it installed on his computer through
> the use of a firewire, and Vista carried the appropriate drivers for him.
> have a firewire but have no idea how to use it! Can someone please help me
> get this resolved so that I can upload video.
>
> Thanks!

Leighznich

Re: Problem with camcorder ...need help with firewire
Thanks BigJim,

I bought a firewire from Best Buy. I took my camera and the associate gave
me the one that fits it.

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron

So if I just plug in the firewire to my camera and then to the laptop, the
computer should automatically detect it and install the drivers? Please tell
me it's that easy! (And then I can proceed to kicking myself in the rear for
waiting so long to find out.)

"BigJim" wrote:

> first who made your system, need to know for drivers get you in the right
> direction, then install drivers
> second if it is an onboard firewire it must be enabled in the bios, maybe
> installed by default.
> third you need a firewire cable, bestbuy, radio shack take you camera with
> you to get the right one.
> fourth then just plug it in and it should work. I use mine with Windows
> Movie Maker
>
> "Leighznich" <Leighznich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I posted this on the general discussion board as well.
> >
> > I have a new Panasonic PV-GS300 mini dv camcorder which I purchased in
> > December, 4 months before I purchased my new laptop which runs Vista.
> > Apparently Panasonic didn't foresee the release of Vista and so does not
> > have
> > any patches or software updates that are compatible.
> >
> > I read on another board of a gentleman that had a similar issue with his
> > Samsung camcorder and was able to get it installed on his computer through
> > the use of a firewire, and Vista carried the appropriate drivers for him.
> > have a firewire but have no idea how to use it! Can someone please help me
> > get this resolved so that I can upload video.
> >
> > Thanks!

BigJim

Re: Problem with camcorder ...need help with firewire
you need to make sure the firewire is enabled in the bios or you can check
in the device manager
to see if it is showing up.
if the firewire is setup in the laptop it is that easy.
When I installed vista on my desktop I had a firewire card from NEC
installed. Vista installed the drivers
and I plugged the dv in and I was downloading the video. You should not need
drivers for you camera.