Vista tries to format any cd in the DVD/RW Combo Drive

Oriol Sanchez

Vista tries to format any cd in the DVD/RW Combo Drive
Hi,

I┤ve got some problems with my DVD Drive on my Lenovo 3000 J115 desktop with
a IDE DVD/RW Device.

The Vista Bussiness 32 bits is preinstalled. We have Nero ultra 7 latest
version installed.

I can read the CD┤s from the command line, but if I try to open it out of
the explorer he everytime ask me to format the CD. The only way to start a
setup.exe or something like this is to do it from the command line. Also the
autostart won┤t work. In the context menu there isn't open autostart option
and the eject option.

Any ideas?

Oriol

Rollin' Rog

Re: Vista tries to format any cd in the DVD/RW Combo Drive
I went through the exact same problem on an Acer desktop, out of the box,
with Vista Business installed and a Lite-ON drive. Acer support claimed it
was a Vista problem. But I RMA'd the computer back to Newegg for a
replacement -- and the replacement worked.

As a heads-up, you may find that DVD R format does not exhibit this
problem -- only the RW format.

Also there are a couple of "hotfixes" from MS that you might try. At the
time I didn't see them:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931654/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930917/en-us

If you don't want to go through Microsoft, you can find them here:

http://thehotfixshare.net/download/i...Neutral/Vista/

"Oriol Sanchez" <oriol@sbss.es> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I┤ve got some problems with my DVD Drive on my Lenovo 3000 J115 desktop
> with a IDE DVD/RW Device.
>
> The Vista Bussiness 32 bits is preinstalled. We have Nero ultra 7 latest
> version installed.
>
> I can read the CD┤s from the command line, but if I try to open it out of
> the explorer he everytime ask me to format the CD. The only way to start a
> setup.exe or something like this is to do it from the command line. Also
> the autostart won┤t work. In the context menu there isn't open autostart
> option and the eject option.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Oriol

richard

Re: Vista tries to format any cd in the DVD/RW Combo Drive
I have the same problem with vista home premium, when I insert a CD it tries
to write to it. I also have a problem when burning DVD's using movie maker.
it ejects the disk at the end so I can'nt wait the 3 mins as suggested ,
anyway to stop that so that it finalises the disk.

"Rollin' Rog" <rogkho@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I went through the exact same problem on an Acer desktop, out of the box,
>with Vista Business installed and a Lite-ON drive. Acer support claimed it
>was a Vista problem. But I RMA'd the computer back to Newegg for a
>replacement -- and the replacement worked.
>
> As a heads-up, you may find that DVD R format does not exhibit this
> problem -- only the RW format.
>
> Also there are a couple of "hotfixes" from MS that you might try. At the
> time I didn't see them:
>
> If you don't want to go through Microsoft, you can find them here:
>
> http://thehotfixshare.net/download/i...Neutral/Vista/
>
> "Oriol Sanchez" <oriol@sbss.es> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I┤ve got some problems with my DVD Drive on my Lenovo 3000 J115 desktop
>> with a IDE DVD/RW Device.
>>
>> The Vista Bussiness 32 bits is preinstalled. We have Nero ultra 7 latest
>> version installed.
>>
>> I can read the CD┤s from the command line, but if I try to open it out of
>> the explorer he everytime ask me to format the CD. The only way to start
>> a setup.exe or something like this is to do it from the command line.
>> Also the autostart won┤t work. In the context menu there isn't open
>> autostart option and the eject option.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Oriol

Oriol Sanchez

Re: Vista tries to format any cd in the DVD/RW Combo Drive
Thanks for your interest.

We apply hot fixes without success.

One more thing, if the users reboot with a CD in, can reach the unit,
otherwise allways apears the format message and the CD contents keeps
invisible.

When works (CD media on boot) Vista never refresh media type and label when
the CD is changed. Autorun doesn't work. Seems that Vista don't detect media
change.

Any new idea?

"Rollin' Rog" <rogkho@hotmail.com> escribiˇ en el mensaje de noticias

maitralpha@gmail.com

On 7 mai, 18:32, "Oriol Sanchez" <o...@sbss.es> wrote:
> Thanks for your interest.
>
> We apply hot fixes without success.
>
> One more thing, if the users reboot with a CD in, can reach the unit,
> otherwise allways apears the format message and the CD contents keeps
> invisible.
>
> When works (CD media on boot)Vistanever refresh media type and label when
> the CD is changed.Autorundoesn't work. Seems thatVistadon't detect media
> change.
>
> Any new idea?
>
> "Rollin' Rog" <rog...@hotmail.com> escribiˇ en el mensaje de noticiasnews:24388711-DDC1-4EE6-9A92-9056385718FA@microsoft.com...
>
> >I went through the exact same problem on an Acer desktop, out of the box,
> >withVistaBusiness installed and a Lite-ON drive. Acer support claimed it
> >was aVistaproblem. But I RMA'd the computer back to Newegg for a
> >replacement -- and the replacement worked.

> > As a heads-up, you may find that DVD R format does not exhibit this
> > problem -- only the RW format.

> > Also there are a couple of "hotfixes" from MS that you might try. At the
> > time I didn't see them:
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931654/en-us
> >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930917/en-us

> > If you don't want to go through Microsoft, you can find them here:

> >http://thehotfixshare.net/download/i...ge%20Neutral/V....

> > "Oriol Sanchez" <o...@sbss.es> wrote in message
> >> Hi,

> >> I┤ve got some problems with my DVD Drive on my Lenovo 3000 J115 desktop
> >> with a IDE DVD/RW Device.

> >> TheVistaBussiness 32 bits is preinstalled. We have Nero ultra 7 latest
> >> version installed.

> >> I can read the CD┤s from the command line, but if I try to open it out of
> >> the explorer he everytime ask me to format the CD. The only way to start
> >> a setup.exe or something like this is to do it from the command line.
> >> Also the autostart won┤t work. In the context menu there isn't open
> >> autostart option and the eject option.

> >> Any ideas?

> >> Oriol

Hello,
I have exactly the same problem with the same OS.
So, have you find a solution ?
In my opinion this problem comes from CD/DVD software like AnyDVD,
GameJackal, CloneCD or Alcohol 120%, BlindWrite because some use
drivers which are not completely compatible with Vista.
Have you already installed this kind of software ?