Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!

This is so annoying.....

Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
I run Vista Ultimate 32bit. My computer keeps nagging me that I have devices
for which I don't have drivers. I ran a system health check and it says I
have 2 plug and play devices that don't have drivers. The problem is, both of
them are called, "#UNKOWN#". I can't get drivers for a device that I don't
know what it is. How do I get the drivers? No help on Windows Update. HELP!!!
Mike Hall MVP

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
What is physically fitted or connected to your computer that does not show
in Device Manager correctly?

--

Mike Hall
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

This is so annoying.....

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
Well, I've got a USB zip drive. I also have a wireless mouse which is USB
plug and play. I'm not sure if it can be a serial port, but sometimes I'll
plug in my old monitor. I've got a Pocket PC which connects to my computer
via USB as well as an iPod. Those are the only things that I ever use with
plug and play on a regular basis and the iPod PPC connectors usually aren't
connected. I can't think of anything else. Any ideas?

"Mike Hall MVP" wrote:

> What is physically fitted or connected to your computer that does not show
> in Device Manager correctly?
>

> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:880EE52A-F330-4F18-8C76-61BE3F6A3D9C@microsoft.com...
> >I run Vista Ultimate 32bit. My computer keeps nagging me that I have
> >devices
> > for which I don't have drivers. I ran a system health check and it says I
> > have 2 plug and play devices that don't have drivers. The problem is, both
> > of
> > them are called, "#UNKOWN#". I can't get drivers for a device that I don't
> > know what it is. How do I get the drivers? No help on Windows Update.
> > HELP!!!

> --
>

> Mike Hall
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

dean-dean

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
In Device Manager, double-click Unknown Device (#1) and go to the Details
tab of Unknown Device's Properties. In the drop-down menu, under Property,
choose Hardware ID. Right-click the Value shown and choose Select All.
Copy the value and post it in your reply. It will look something like this
example:

HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000& REV_1003
HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000

Do the same for Unknown Device (#2).

I, or someone else, may be able to help you identify the devices Vista is
nagging you about.

"This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote in message news:880EE52A-F330-4F18-8C76-61BE3F6A3D9C@microsoft.com...
>I run Vista Ultimate 32bit. My computer keeps nagging me that I have
>devices
> for which I don't have drivers. I ran a system health check and it says I
> have 2 plug and play devices that don't have drivers. The problem is, both
> of
> them are called, "#UNKOWN#". I can't get drivers for a device that I don't
> know what it is. How do I get the drivers? No help on Windows Update.
> HELP!!!

This is so annoying.....

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
The first one is: ACPI\SMCB000
The second one is: *SMCB000
Any ideas? Thanks

"dean-dean" wrote:

> In Device Manager, double-click Unknown Device (#1) and go to the Details
> tab of Unknown Device's Properties. In the drop-down menu, under Property,
> choose Hardware ID. Right-click the Value shown and choose Select All.
> Copy the value and post it in your reply. It will look something like this
> example:
>
> HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000& REV_1003
> HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000
>
> Do the same for Unknown Device (#2).
>
> I, or someone else, may be able to help you identify the devices Vista is
> nagging you about.
>

> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:880EE52A-F330-4F18-8C76-61BE3F6A3D9C@microsoft.com...
> >I run Vista Ultimate 32bit. My computer keeps nagging me that I have
> >devices
> > for which I don't have drivers. I ran a system health check and it says I
> > have 2 plug and play devices that don't have drivers. The problem is, both
> > of
> > them are called, "#UNKOWN#". I can't get drivers for a device that I don't
> > know what it is. How do I get the drivers? No help on Windows Update.
> > HELP!!!

dean-dean

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
Is your computer a laptop (Toshiba, Acer)? It appears to be a remote
control driver for DVD media (SMSC CIR HID Miniport Device Driver, to be
exact). It uses the file hidsmsc.sys, and hidsmsc.inf holds its setup
information. If you gave your computer make and model, perphaps I could
narrow it down...

wrote in message news:EF7066D9-F451-409A-B699-FA56809D971A@microsoft.com...
> The first one is: ACPI\SMCB000
> The second one is: *SMCB000
> Any ideas? Thanks
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> In Device Manager, double-click Unknown Device (#1) and go to the Details
>> tab of Unknown Device's Properties. In the drop-down menu, under
>> Property,
>> choose Hardware ID. Right-click the Value shown and choose Select All.
>> Copy the value and post it in your reply. It will look something like
>> this
>> example:
>>
>> HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000& REV_1003
>> HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000
>>
>> Do the same for Unknown Device (#2).
>>
>> I, or someone else, may be able to help you identify the devices Vista is
>> nagging you about.
>>

>> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> >I run Vista Ultimate 32bit. My computer keeps nagging me that I have
>> >devices
>> > for which I don't have drivers. I ran a system health check and it says
>> > have 2 plug and play devices that don't have drivers. The problem is,
>> > both
>> > of
>> > them are called, "#UNKOWN#". I can't get drivers for a device that I
>> > don't
>> > know what it is. How do I get the drivers? No help on Windows Update.
>> > HELP!!!

This is so annoying.....

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
Yeah, it is a laptop. Toshiba Satellite P105-S921. It did come with a remote
and I did notice that it didn't work after I reinstalled Vista.

"dean-dean" wrote:

> Is your computer a laptop (Toshiba, Acer)? It appears to be a remote
> control driver for DVD media (SMSC CIR HID Miniport Device Driver, to be
> exact). It uses the file hidsmsc.sys, and hidsmsc.inf holds its setup
> information. If you gave your computer make and model, perphaps I could
> narrow it down...
>

> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message news:EF7066D9-F451-409A-B699-FA56809D971A@microsoft.com...
> > The first one is: ACPI\SMCB000
> > The second one is: *SMCB000
> > Any ideas? Thanks
> >
> > "dean-dean" wrote:
> >
> >> In Device Manager, double-click Unknown Device (#1) and go to the Details
> >> tab of Unknown Device's Properties. In the drop-down menu, under
> >> Property,
> >> choose Hardware ID. Right-click the Value shown and choose Select All.
> >> Copy the value and post it in your reply. It will look something like
> >> this
> >> example:
> >>
> >> HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000& REV_1003
> >> HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0260&SUBSYS_02600000
> >>
> >> Do the same for Unknown Device (#2).
> >>
> >> I, or someone else, may be able to help you identify the devices Vista is
> >> nagging you about.
> >>

> >> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>

dean-dean

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
This appears to be the driver download for the device for you model, however
it's for Windows XP. I'll try to see if one can be found for Vista, though:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ngdgmn.0&ct=DL

wrote in message news:733C22C9-8ABB-4EDB-A3B5-2BDBEAFD221B@microsoft.com...
> Yeah, it is a laptop. Toshiba Satellite P105-S921. It did come with a
> remote
> and I did notice that it didn't work after I reinstalled Vista.
>
> "dean-dean" wrote:
>
>> Is your computer a laptop (Toshiba, Acer)? It appears to be a remote
>> control driver for DVD media (SMSC CIR HID Miniport Device Driver, to be
>> exact). It uses the file hidsmsc.sys, and hidsmsc.inf holds its setup
>> information. If you gave your computer make and model, perphaps I could
>> narrow it down...
>>

>> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
>> wrote in message
>> > The first one is: ACPI\SMCB000
>> > The second one is: *SMCB000
>> > Any ideas? Thanks

dean-dean

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
I downloaded the file from the site linked to in my previous post. The
readme seems to indicate that it will work on Vista. I would go ahead and
install it. An excerpt from the Readme.txt:

1. The software included with this distribution package is
designed to operate only with SMSC CIR HID devices.

2. The following are the only operating systems supported
in this release of the Installation Utility:

Windows Version SMSC CIR HID Driver Version
----------------------------- ---------------------------
Windows XP V5.3.2600.3
Windows Vista V6.0.4000.0

"dean-dean" <dean-dean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This appears to be the driver download for the device for you model,
> however it's for Windows XP. I'll try to see if one can be found for
> Vista, though:
>
> http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/t...ngdgmn.0&ct=DL
>
> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>
> wrote in message
>> Yeah, it is a laptop. Toshiba Satellite P105-S921. It did come with a
>> remote
>> and I did notice that it didn't work after I reinstalled Vista.
>>
>> "dean-dean" wrote:
>>
>>> Is your computer a laptop (Toshiba, Acer)? It appears to be a remote
>>> control driver for DVD media (SMSC CIR HID Miniport Device Driver, to be
>>> exact). It uses the file hidsmsc.sys, and hidsmsc.inf holds its setup
>>> information. If you gave your computer make and model, perphaps I could
>>> narrow it down...
>>>

>>> "This is so annoying....." <Thisissoannoying@discussions.microsoft.com>

Mike Byrns

Re: Unkown deviced bugging computer?!?! Need driver?!?! HELP!
Looks like a Service Management Bus device to me. vNidia based motherboard?