Vista IRQ management

Dave

Vista IRQ management
My Vista resources map shows the below 3 internal devices on my Platinum P6N
SLI Platinum motherboard with an E6600 Core Duo Intel CPU sharing the same
IRQ "(PCI) 20". I have nothing plugged into any PCI slots. One graphics
adapter in the PCIe x16 slot.

- High Definition Audio Controller
- NVIDIA nForce 430/410 SATA Controller
- Standard OpenHCD USB Host controller

Why is this? Does it not matter anymore to share an IRQ rather than have a
dedicated IRQ? Why would PnP or ACPI or whomever not spread the IRQ's out
more?

I've also got a whole lot of IRQ's showing "(ISA) xx Microsoft
ACPI-Compliant System" which I'm guessing are unused IRQs.

I even have a couple IRQs showing (PCI) -2, -3 and -4 and don't understand
why some would be negative or why some are ISA and others PCI.

Where can I learn more about this and is this an issue?

Thanks,
Dave

P.S. I have cross posted this to general and hardware_devices.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista IRQ management
Hi Dave,

IRQ 20 is a virtual IRQ created by the system to handle those devices, and
IRQ sharing has been the norm since Win98. While those particular devices
may be onboard, they still are on the PCI bus, which is why it shows that
designation. A negative number may result when the first bit is a 1 rather
than 0, the system is interpreting it as a signed number rather than
unsigned large number. Many virtual interrupt requests can be created to
handle the various pieces of hardware's demand for the cpu's attention. I
would only be concerned if system information shows a resource conflict.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Dave" <REMOVETHISDaveAtHome@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> My Vista resources map shows the below 3 internal devices on my Platinum
> P6N SLI Platinum motherboard with an E6600 Core Duo Intel CPU sharing the
> same IRQ "(PCI) 20". I have nothing plugged into any PCI slots. One
> graphics adapter in the PCIe x16 slot.
>
> - High Definition Audio Controller
> - NVIDIA nForce 430/410 SATA Controller
> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host controller
>
> Why is this? Does it not matter anymore to share an IRQ rather than have a
> dedicated IRQ? Why would PnP or ACPI or whomever not spread the IRQ's out
> more?
>
> I've also got a whole lot of IRQ's showing "(ISA) xx Microsoft
> ACPI-Compliant System" which I'm guessing are unused IRQs.
>
> I even have a couple IRQs showing (PCI) -2, -3 and -4 and don't understand
> why some would be negative or why some are ISA and others PCI.
>
> Where can I learn more about this and is this an issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Dave
>
> P.S. I have cross posted this to general and hardware_devices.

Dave

Re: Vista IRQ management
OK thanks. Perhaps does not matter with the newer integrated APIC rather
than the old cascaded PIC chips that could only do 15 interrupts total and
had to share. Still curious about what the ISA vs. PCI status really means
underneath. I show no conflicts but just thought it would be more efficient
for devices to have their own IRQ whether physical or virtual rather than
share.

I found this article
http://www.e-articles.info/e/a/title...CI-interrupts/
but it does not currently work as their database appears down.

Thanks,
Dave

> Hi Dave,
>
> IRQ 20 is a virtual IRQ created by the system to handle those devices, and
> IRQ sharing has been the norm since Win98. While those particular devices
> may be onboard, they still are on the PCI bus, which is why it shows that
> designation. A negative number may result when the first bit is a 1 rather
> than 0, the system is interpreting it as a signed number rather than
> unsigned large number. Many virtual interrupt requests can be created to
> handle the various pieces of hardware's demand for the cpu's attention. I
> would only be concerned if system information shows a resource conflict.
>
> --
> Best of Luck,

> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>
> "Dave" <REMOVETHISDaveAtHome@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> My Vista resources map shows the below 3 internal devices on my Platinum
>> P6N SLI Platinum motherboard with an E6600 Core Duo Intel CPU sharing the
>> same IRQ "(PCI) 20". I have nothing plugged into any PCI slots. One
>> graphics adapter in the PCIe x16 slot.
>>
>> - High Definition Audio Controller
>> - NVIDIA nForce 430/410 SATA Controller
>> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host controller
>>
>> Why is this? Does it not matter anymore to share an IRQ rather than have
>> a dedicated IRQ? Why would PnP or ACPI or whomever not spread the IRQ's
>> out more?
>>
>> I've also got a whole lot of IRQ's showing "(ISA) xx Microsoft
>> ACPI-Compliant System" which I'm guessing are unused IRQs.
>>
>> I even have a couple IRQs showing (PCI) -2, -3 and -4 and don't
>> understand why some would be negative or why some are ISA and others PCI.
>>
>> Where can I learn more about this and is this an issue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>
>> P.S. I have cross posted this to general and hardware_devices.

Dave

Re: Vista IRQ management
Nevermind that article. It is talking about the real ISA and PCI boards from
way back. Makes me even more curious though why they still classify current
IRQs in that fashion...Dave

> OK thanks. Perhaps does not matter with the newer integrated APIC rather
> than the old cascaded PIC chips that could only do 15 interrupts total and
> had to share. Still curious about what the ISA vs. PCI status really means
> underneath. I show no conflicts but just thought it would be more
> efficient for devices to have their own IRQ whether physical or virtual
> rather than share.
>
> I found this article
> http://www.e-articles.info/e/a/title...CI-interrupts/
> but it does not currently work as their database appears down.
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

>> Hi Dave,
>>
>> IRQ 20 is a virtual IRQ created by the system to handle those devices,
>> and IRQ sharing has been the norm since Win98. While those particular
>> devices may be onboard, they still are on the PCI bus, which is why it
>> shows that designation. A negative number may result when the first bit
>> is a 1 rather than 0, the system is interpreting it as a signed number
>> rather than unsigned large number. Many virtual interrupt requests can be
>> created to handle the various pieces of hardware's demand for the cpu's
>> attention. I would only be concerned if system information shows a
>> resource conflict.
>>
>> --
>> Best of Luck,

>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>
>> "Dave" <REMOVETHISDaveAtHome@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>> My Vista resources map shows the below 3 internal devices on my Platinum
>>> P6N SLI Platinum motherboard with an E6600 Core Duo Intel CPU sharing
>>> the same IRQ "(PCI) 20". I have nothing plugged into any PCI slots. One
>>> graphics adapter in the PCIe x16 slot.
>>>
>>> - High Definition Audio Controller
>>> - NVIDIA nForce 430/410 SATA Controller
>>> - Standard OpenHCD USB Host controller
>>>
>>> Why is this? Does it not matter anymore to share an IRQ rather than have
>>> a dedicated IRQ? Why would PnP or ACPI or whomever not spread the IRQ's
>>> out more?
>>>
>>> I've also got a whole lot of IRQ's showing "(ISA) xx Microsoft
>>> ACPI-Compliant System" which I'm guessing are unused IRQs.
>>>
>>> I even have a couple IRQs showing (PCI) -2, -3 and -4 and don't
>>> understand why some would be negative or why some are ISA and others
>>> PCI.
>>>
>>> Where can I learn more about this and is this an issue?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Dave
>>>
>>> P.S. I have cross posted this to general and hardware_devices.

Rick Rogers

Re: Vista IRQ management
Hi Dave,

Not 100% on this, but I think that it shows that legacy designation because
of the range of the addresses used, not because it's actually an ISA device.
If you run msinfo32 and look at the hardware resources, you'll see that the
designation does not carry over here.

--

> Nevermind that article. It is talking about the real ISA and PCI boards
> from way back. Makes me even more curious though why they still classify
> current IRQs in that fashion...Dave
>
> "Dave" <REMOVETHISDaveAtHome@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> OK thanks. Perhaps does not matter with the newer integrated APIC rather
>> than the old cascaded PIC chips that could only do 15 interrupts total
>> and had to share. Still curious about what the ISA vs. PCI status really
>> means underneath. I show no conflicts but just thought it would be more
>> efficient for devices to have their own IRQ whether physical or virtual
>> rather than share.
>>
>> I found this article
>> http://www.e-articles.info/e/a/title...CI-interrupts/
>> but it does not currently work as their database appears down.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Dave
>>
>> "Rick Rogers" <rick@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> Hi Dave,
>>>
>>> IRQ 20 is a virtual IRQ created by the system to handle those devices,
>>> and IRQ sharing has been the norm since Win98. While those particular
>>> devices may be onboard, they still are on the PCI bus, which is why it
>>> shows that designation. A negative number may result when the first bit
>>> is a 1 rather than 0, the system is interpreting it as a signed number
>>> rather than unsigned large number. Many virtual interrupt requests can
>>> be created to handle the various pieces of hardware's demand for the
>>> cpu's attention. I would only be concerned if system information shows a
>>> resource conflict.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Best of Luck,

>>> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
>>> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
>>> My thoughts http://rick-mvp.blogspot.com

Steve Thackery

Re: Vista IRQ management
I remember this issue coming up back in the days of NT4. Apparently it's by
design, and actually helps speed things up a bit.

All the advice back then was to leave well alone. It ain't broke, so
there's no need to fix anything.

Steve

Gmw

Re: Vista IRQ management

HI,

System information msinfo32.exe is reporting 100+ IRQ's . Not sure
if somethings wrong with the program or something weird going on in
Vista. System seems to work Ok if maybe a little slow but possibly
normal for a laptop. It is new.

First and Last few Irq's shown below

IRQ 0 High precision event timer OK
IRQ 1 Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard with HP
QLB OK
IRQ 5 RICOH OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller OK
IRQ 7 SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller OK
IRQ 7 Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller OK
IRQ 7 Ricoh Memory Stick Controller OK
IRQ 7 Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller OK
IRQ 8 High precision event timer OK
IRQ 10 NVIDIA nForce PCI System Management OK
IRQ 11 NVIDIA nForce System Management Controller OK
IRQ 12 Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad OK
IRQ 13 Numeric data processor OK
IRQ 14 IDE Channel OK
IRQ 15 IDE Channel OK
IRQ 16 NVIDIA GeForce 7150M / nForce 630M OK
IRQ 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 18 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 19 Atheros AR5007 802.11b/g WiFi Adapter OK
IRQ 21 High Definition Audio Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 23 Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller OK
IRQ 80 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 81 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK

IRQ 163 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 164 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 165 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 166 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 167 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 168 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 169 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 170 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 171 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 172 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 173 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 174 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 175 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 176 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 177 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 178 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 179 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 180 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 181 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 182 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 183 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 184 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 185 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 186 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 187 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 188 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 189 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 190 Microsoft ACPI-Compliant System OK
IRQ 4294967292 NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller OK
IRQ 4294967293 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK
IRQ 4294967294 PCI standard PCI-to-PCI bridge OK

PC DESCRIPTION:

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Home Premium
Version 6.0.6000 Build 6000
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name withheld
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion dv9700cl Notebook PC
System Type X86-based PC
Processor AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60, 2000 Mhz, 2
Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Hewlett-Packard F.25, 11/29/2007
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6000.16407"
User Name Withheld
Time Zone US Mountain Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,918.31 MB
Available Physical Memory 901.70 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.82 GB
Available Virtual Memory 767.16 MB

Any THoughts? Thanks!

--
Gmw
Gmw's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/member.php?userid=48040

http://forums.techarena.in

Steve Thackery

Re: Vista IRQ management
My desktop machine is reporting 134.

I don't think it's anything to worry about.

SteveT
kva

Re: Vista IRQ management

How to findout IRQ for devices in VISTA ?

Regards,

--
kva
kva's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/kva.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Re: Vista IRQ management
To see the devices that are listed under Interrupt request in Device
Manager, follow these steps:
1. Start Device Manager.
2. Click View, and then click Resources by type.
3. Expand Interrupt request.

--
Cari (MS-MVP) Printing & Imaging
www.coribright.com/windows