Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - Mother Asus K8N4-E Deluxe

Dali

Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - Mother Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
I can´t make sounds work on Vista 64 Ultimate.

When I´ve instaleed Vista for the first time, a month ago aproximatly, it
works but not in 6 channes just 2.
3 Weeks later I´ve reinstalled the OS because sudenly it never run again
after a Boot. Once I´ve installed it regonize on the control panel the
"Realteck AC´97 Audio" but it doesn´t sound anything at all.

ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe - 1GB Ram - Vista 64 Ultimate - Uo to date with the
Windows Updated
JasonB

Re: Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - Mother Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
* Dali wrote, On 25/04/2007 17:54:
> I can´t make sounds work on Vista 64 Ultimate.
>
> When I´ve instaleed Vista for the first time, a month ago aproximatly, it
> works but not in 6 channes just 2.
> 3 Weeks later I´ve reinstalled the OS because sudenly it never run again
> after a Boot. Once I´ve installed it regonize on the control panel the
> "Realteck AC´97 Audio" but it doesn´t sound anything at all.
>
> ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe - 1GB Ram - Vista 64 Ultimate - Uo to date with the
> Windows Updated

I have the 32bit version of Vista Ultimate installed on my Asus K8N-E
Deluxe, which also has the RealTek AC'97 built in.

Try downloading the Vista Drivers from the RealTek website. That's what
I had to do when I had a problem with the sound popping every time Vista
created a sound. The Microsoft supplied RealTek AC'97 driver is a
steaming pile of doo doo, in my humble opinion ;-)

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...tDown=false#AC

--
Regards,

JasonB
Grae

Re: Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - Mother Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
I've got a MSI K8 mb with Realtek ac'97 sound onboard. I'm using the latest
drivers from the realtek website withe Vista64 Ultimate and all I can get
out is stereo PCM sound too. I'm using the digital coax output from the mb.
If you manage to get Dolby or DTS 5.1 out I'm keen to hear about it.

Looking around at other posts, the Creative sound card drivers appear to
have the same limitation with Vista64 ??

Grae

* Grae wrote, On 26/04/2007 13:41:
> I've got a MSI K8 mb with Realtek ac'97 sound onboard. I'm using the
> latest drivers from the realtek website withe Vista64 Ultimate and all I
> can get out is stereo PCM sound too. I'm using the digital coax output
> from the mb. If you manage to get Dolby or DTS 5.1 out I'm keen to hear
> about it.
>
> Looking around at other posts, the Creative sound card drivers appear to
> have the same limitation with Vista64 ??
>
> Grae

<snip>

In order to configure 5.1 sound on my PC, I had to do the following
after installing the RealTek drivers.

1. Go to the Control Panel
2. Open 'Manage audio devices'
3. Select Speakers and then click on Configure
4. Select the appropriate speaker configuration
5. Test the configuration to make sure it was all plugged in correctly

In my case that was all I needed to do.

You may need to play around with the configuration settings a little to
get the Dolby or DTS Digital sound output. I have all my speakers
plugged in via the 3.5" audio jacks as opposed to a SPDIF or Digital
Coax connector.

--
Regards,

JasonB
Grae

Re: Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - does your Creative X-Fi work?
Thanks, my problem is that I'm limited to using SPDIF / digital output with
my speaker system. And that I'm trying to do it with Vista64.
Graeme

>* Grae wrote, On 26/04/2007 13:41:
>> I've got a MSI K8 mb with Realtek ac'97 sound onboard. I'm using the
>> latest drivers from the realtek website withe Vista64 Ultimate and all I
>> can get out is stereo PCM sound too. I'm using the digital coax output
>> from the mb. If you manage to get Dolby or DTS 5.1 out I'm keen to hear
>> about it.
>>
>> Looking around at other posts, the Creative sound card drivers appear to
>> have the same limitation with Vista64 ??
>>
>> Grae
>>

> <snip>
>
> In order to configure 5.1 sound on my PC, I had to do the following after
> installing the RealTek drivers.
>
> 1. Go to the Control Panel
> 2. Open 'Manage audio devices'
> 3. Select Speakers and then click on Configure
> 4. Select the appropriate speaker configuration
> 5. Test the configuration to make sure it was all plugged in correctly
>
> In my case that was all I needed to do.
>
> You may need to play around with the configuration settings a little to
> get the Dolby or DTS Digital sound output. I have all my speakers plugged
> in via the 3.5" audio jacks as opposed to a SPDIF or Digital Coax
> connector.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> JasonB

JasonB

* Grae wrote, On 27/04/2007 03:39:
> Thanks, my problem is that I'm limited to using SPDIF / digital output
> with my speaker system. And that I'm trying to do it with Vista64.
> Graeme

Ok, I'm working blind here because I don't output to Digital myself and
I'm using Vista 32bit with the RealTek 32bit vista drivers. It's
possible I have options available in the 32bit vista drivers that
haven't yet been implemented in the vista 64bit drivers.

With that in mind, when I look in the Hardware & Sound|Manage Audio
Devices Control Panel I have two options listed;

1. Speakers
2. RealTek Digital Output

If you have the second option, click on Properties and it will pop up a
window with 5 tabs, General, Supported Formats, Levels, Enhancements and
Advanced.

On the General tab there is a frame called Jack Information which I'm
assuming tells you whether the link is using SP/DIF or Coax.

In the Supported Formats tab there are options for selecting which audio
format to use and also sample rates. I'm assuming that this determines
the format of the audio sent to the Digital Receiver via the SP/DIF or
Coax link.

I'm afraid that is as much help as I can offer you as I can go no
further with this now because I don't have a Digital Receiver available
to test this on.

Hope this helps!

<snip>

>> In order to configure 5.1 sound on my PC, I had to do the following
>> after installing the RealTek drivers.
>>
>> 1. Go to the Control Panel
>> 2. Open 'Manage audio devices'
>> 3. Select Speakers and then click on Configure
>> 4. Select the appropriate speaker configuration
>> 5. Test the configuration to make sure it was all plugged in correctly
>>
>> In my case that was all I needed to do.
>>
>> You may need to play around with the configuration settings a little
>> to get the Dolby or DTS Digital sound output. I have all my speakers
>> plugged in via the 3.5" audio jacks as opposed to a SPDIF or Digital
>> Coax connector.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>>
>> JasonB

Grae

Re: Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - does your Creative X-Fi work?
Thanks Jason for your efforts, I've added some comments in your text below.
I think I'm gonna have to use WinXP for hd-dvd watching for a while yet.

Graeme

>* Grae wrote, On 27/04/2007 03:39:
>> Thanks, my problem is that I'm limited to using SPDIF / digital output
>> with my speaker system. And that I'm trying to do it with Vista64.
>> Graeme
>>

> Ok, I'm working blind here because I don't output to Digital myself and
> I'm using Vista 32bit with the RealTek 32bit vista drivers. It's possible
> I have options available in the 32bit vista drivers that haven't yet been
> implemented in the vista 64bit drivers.
>
> With that in mind, when I look in the Hardware & Sound|Manage Audio
> Devices Control Panel I have two options listed;
>
> 1. Speakers
> 2. RealTek Digital Output

I have Realtek Digital Output set here as default.

> If you have the second option, click on Properties and it will pop up a
> window with 5 tabs, General, Supported Formats, Levels, Enhancements and
> Advanced.
>
> On the General tab there is a frame called Jack Information which I'm
> assuming tells you whether the link is using SP/DIF or Coax.

The Jack Information is "There is no Jack Information available."

> In the Supported Formats tab there are options for selecting which audio
> format to use and also sample rates. I'm assuming that this determines
> the format of the audio sent to the Digital Receiver via the SP/DIF or
> Coax link.

I have Dolby Digital selected, and it tests out ok, including by my receiver
as Dolby Digital 5.1.

Unfortunately, the result isn't sound (crackles excepted) when I select
Spdif Out in PowerDVD, Nero Showtime or the Dvico Fusion DTV tuner.

> I'm afraid that is as much help as I can offer you as I can go no further
> with this now because I don't have a Digital Receiver available to test
> this on.
>
> Hope this helps!
>

> <snip>
>

>>> In order to configure 5.1 sound on my PC, I had to do the following
>>> after installing the RealTek drivers.
>>>
>>> 1. Go to the Control Panel
>>> 2. Open 'Manage audio devices'
>>> 3. Select Speakers and then click on Configure
>>> 4. Select the appropriate speaker configuration
>>> 5. Test the configuration to make sure it was all plugged in correctly
>>>
>>> In my case that was all I needed to do.
>>>
>>> You may need to play around with the configuration settings a little to
>>> get the Dolby or DTS Digital sound output. I have all my speakers
>>> plugged in via the 3.5" audio jacks as opposed to a SPDIF or Digital
>>> Coax connector.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> JasonB

Grae

Re: Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - Mother Asus K8N4-E Deluxe
I came across this explanation on another forum, where others obviously have
the same
problem:
http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=11582

Re: SPDIF passthrough availibility in future for vista64?

Yes, Microsoft allows protected streams to shut down potential loopholes
like SPDIF. However to my knowledge there are no other differences between
32bit and 64bit Vista.
Unless you are running a protected stream that specifies that SPDIF has to
be disabled for the duration of the stream being played, there is no reason
why SPDIF passthrough should not work.

Last i heard, some non CL soundcards already support passthrough on Vista
64bit. ( Clearly Realtek AC'97 drivers do not, ...yet! )

Another Hoorah!! for digital content flipping protection ??

Grae

"Dali" <Dali@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I can´t make sounds work on Vista 64 Ultimate.
>
> When I´ve instaleed Vista for the first time, a month ago aproximatly, it
> works but not in 6 channes just 2.
> 3 Weeks later I´ve reinstalled the OS because sudenly it never run again
> after a Boot. Once I´ve installed it regonize on the control panel the
> "Realteck AC´97 Audio" but it doesn´t sound anything at all.
>
> ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe - 1GB Ram - Vista 64 Ultimate - Uo to date with the
> Windows Updated

mattgamer

Re: Full Sound on VISTA 64 Ultimate - Mother Asus K8N4-E Deluxe

I am also having a problem with 5.1 surround sound in my Windows XP Home
Edition. I have my Logitech 5.1 speakers plugged in correctly with a
Asus K8N4-E Deluxe mobo. I also have all the updated drivers and have
been searching Asus support site for a program to make things work.

Yet to find something that makes it work. My last resort would be to
get a sound card, though I hope I do not have to do this.

I am going to try your (JasonB) instructions tonight to see if it
helps. *crosses fingers*

--
mattgamer