Can you help me , please ?

Crodino

Can you help me , please ?

Hi. I 've an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 + Vista HP 64 bit. I've seen on
INTEL site that this mobo don't have Intel Virtualization Technology
infact I've tried by VirtualBox (and other similar SW) to guest Windows
7 with negative result. I'd like to know if with this mobo is impossible
or I have to find the right sw ?

Thank you
Best Regards

--
Crodino
botox

Re: Can you help me , please ?
Why not install Win7 as a dual boot with Vista 64?
It is odd that Intel left the virtualization out of quad core procs like
yours.

Bob Knowlden

Re: Can you help me , please ?
See Ed Bott's blog (at ZD Net):

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=946

I don't use virtualization myself, but Bott says that the 8200 doesn't
support it.

Your motherboard is a different issue.

"Crodino" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I 've an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 + Vista HP 64 bit. I've seen on
> INTEL site that this mobo don't have Intel Virtualization Technology
> infact I've tried by VirtualBox (and other similar SW) to guest Windows
> 7 with negative result. I'd like to know if with this mobo is impossible
> or I have to find the right sw ?
>
> Thank you
> Best Regards
>

> --
> Crodino

Richard G. Harper

Re: Can you help me , please ?
It isn't the motherboard, it's the processor. Unless you want to swap out
processors you're stuck.

"Crodino" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I 've an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 + Vista HP 64 bit. I've seen on
> INTEL site that this mobo don't have Intel Virtualization Technology
> infact I've tried by VirtualBox (and other similar SW) to guest Windows
> 7 with negative result. I'd like to know if with this mobo is impossible
> or I have to find the right sw ?

John Barnett MVP

Re: Can you help me , please ?
Virtual Technology is a requirement to run XP Mode in Windows 7 it doesn't
mean that you can't run other operating systems on virtual machine software.
I don't use VirtualBox but many beta testers have installed Windows 7 on
virtual software such as VMware Workstation; in fact I have just started an
installation of Windows 7 myself in VMware Workstation to check to see if it
works and the installation is progressing fine for me. (and my
processor/motherboard does support virtual technology either.)

What problems are you actually experiencing. Perhaps if we had more
information someone could point you in the right direction.

John Barnett MVP
Windows XP Associate Expert
Windows Desktop Experience

Web: http://www.winuser.co.uk
Web: http://xphelpandsupport.mvps.org
Web: http://vistasupport.mvps.org
Web: http://www.silversurfer-guide.com

mail/post..

"Crodino" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I 've an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 + Vista HP 64 bit. I've seen on
> INTEL site that this mobo don't have Intel Virtualization Technology
> infact I've tried by VirtualBox (and other similar SW) to guest Windows
> 7 with negative result. I'd like to know if with this mobo is impossible
> or I have to find the right sw ?
>
> Thank you
> Best Regards
>

> --
> Crodino

Tae Song

Re: Can you help me , please ?

"Crodino" <guest@unknown-email.com> wrote in message

> Hi. I 've an Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 + Vista HP 64 bit. I've seen on
> INTEL site that this mobo don't have Intel Virtualization Technology
> infact I've tried by VirtualBox (and other similar SW) to guest Windows
> 7 with negative result. I'd like to know if with this mobo is impossible
> or I have to find the right sw ?
>
> Thank you
> Best Regards
>

> --
> Crodino

It would be more accurate to say your processor doesn't have VT. You could
upgrade to one of the other Intel processors that has VT.

Crodino

Re: Can you help me , please ?

John Barnett MVP;1059760 Wrote:

> What problems are you actually experiencing. Perhaps if we had more
> information someone could point you in the right direction.

Ok thank you very much.
I'd like boot Win7 from USB Drive but the installation DVD give an
error message similar "Impossible install .....on USB port..." So I've
tried to install Win7 on a internal disk partition then I 've saved a
Ghost image and I've restored It on the USB drive; When I boot from Usb
drive the OS start but give an error message: "Windows failed to start.
A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
File:\windows\system32\winload.exe" (!?!):shock:
"Ok...:sa:" so I 've tried Virtual Box and other similar sw and
(incredible !) I've got the same error message. Hours after Hours I'm
very tired and I don't know what to do..
The win7 os is the RC 7100 64 bit and my configuration is up ^
Thank you
Regards

--
Crodino
Jane C

Re: Can you help me , please ?
Crodino wrote:

> Ok thank you very much.
> I'd like boot Win7 from USB Drive but the installation DVD give an
> error message similar "Impossible install .....on USB port..." So I've
> tried to install Win7 on a internal disk partition then I 've saved a
> Ghost image and I've restored It on the USB drive; When I boot from Usb
> drive the OS start but give an error message: "Windows failed to start.
> A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
> File:\windows\system32\winload.exe" (!?!):shock:
> "Ok...:sa:" so I 've tried Virtual Box and other similar sw and
> (incredible !) I've got the same error message. Hours after Hours I'm
> very tired and I don't know what to do..
> The win7 os is the RC 7100 64 bit and my configuration is up ^
> Thank you
> Regards

Windows cannot boot from a USB drive. If you installed it on an
internal hard drive, you should be able to dual-boot. If any of the
Virtualisation products require that the cpu has VT, then you're not
going to be able to use them. Microsoft's Virtual PC can't run any 64
bit guests. VMWare Workstation can run 64 bit guests provided that the
cpu is 64 bit capable.
--
Jane, not plain 64 bit enabled :-)
MVP - Windows Desktop Experience 2007-2009
John Barnett MVP

Re: Can you help me , please ?
Windows 7 (or Windows Vista for that matter) will not install to a removable
USB drive. I believe you can install to an eSATA removable drive, but not a
standard USB removable drive.

If I have time i'll download Virtualbox and see if I can install Windows 7.
I take it you are using the DVD to try to install to Virtualbox and 'not'
the ghost copy? If you are using the ghost copy that is probably the cause
of your problem.

> John Barnett MVP;1059760 Wrote:
>>

>> What problems are you actually experiencing. Perhaps if we had more
>> information someone could point you in the right direction.
>>

> Ok thank you very much.
> I'd like boot Win7 from USB Drive but the installation DVD give an
> error message similar "Impossible install .....on USB port..." So I've
> tried to install Win7 on a internal disk partition then I 've saved a
> Ghost image and I've restored It on the USB drive; When I boot from Usb
> drive the OS start but give an error message: "Windows failed to start.
> A recent hardware or software change might be the cause.
> File:\windows\system32\winload.exe" (!?!):shock:
> "Ok...:sa:" so I 've tried Virtual Box and other similar sw and
> (incredible !) I've got the same error message. Hours after Hours I'm
> very tired and I don't know what to do..
> The win7 os is the RC 7100 64 bit and my configuration is up ^
> Thank you
> Regards
>

> --
> Crodino

John Barnett MVP

Re: Can you help me , please ?
Crodino,

I've only just realized that I don't have a 64 Bit version of Windows 7
downloaded; however, I have downloaded Virtualbox and have installed the 32
Bit version of Windows 7. Installation went without a hitch. This was
installing Windows 7 RC1 from the DVD that I have.